• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
They are the masters at tight linear storytelling, so I would like them to stick to that as too many games being released now are just big open world's for the sake of being a time sink but without much character.

I'm all for some semi open segments such at in uncharted if they can build upon it.

I think what I'd really like to see them do is tackle a new Genre.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I prefer what they are doing now with wide and linear but if they do make an open world game I hope it's either cyberpunk or a sword and sorcery setting.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
They're currently the masters of telling a cohesive story.

All done so through 3rd person and linear means.

First person and Open worlds will ruin story.

Don't do it Naughty Gods.

K, thanks, bye!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No thanks, I'd actually rather they honed in a bit, I enjoy the semi open world stuff as much as anyone but now it feels like everyone is doing it.

And we have way to many open worlds already so unless they're significantly changing the formula then no thanks.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They'll stick to non-linear.

It's the most open they can achieve while sustaining narrative / story beats successfully.

Also, PlayStation Studios have enough open world developers now. Bend, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Guerilla.

Let ND do what ND does best.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You enjoyed tossing people off of cliffs in Uncharted.

You found something perversely satisfying about breaking someone's head open with a hammer in The Last of Us.

Now get ready to murder people across increasingly great distances with no clear goal in mind.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Naughty Dog's level of detail and polish in a full on open world game isn't really feasible. RDR 2 got in that ballpark and that took an insane amount of money, time and manpower to create.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy a good open world game, but I feel like there are already too many of them, and it's a pretty simple formula to follow. I'd rather ND stick to their more focused narratives.

JuanLatino

Cernyā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
since we are talking about future Naugthy Dog Games

i would to love to see them change the gameplay formular from 3rd Person Shooters to Melee Combat.
A story driven Martial Arts Game with Naughty Dogs great Animations - or Sword Fights. (obviously as a new IP)

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't geared geared toward open world so probably not, but I do hope they change up a bit with their gameplay lope in a new setting.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I hope that Naughty Dog stays with wide linear games.

Open World games sound good in theory, but most of the time it feels like the open world doesn't add anything to games other than making it longer and completely ruins the pacing for me. It takes me out of the game and oftentimes resembles a checklist at work.

Every now and then it is okay, but I will always pick substance over a good gaming hours per $ ratio.

In many ways I think Naughty Dog games are perfect in that regard. They aren't short, but they keep you engaged and immerse you into the world with great pacing and telling a story that has no place for random side quests.

They know what they are doing at Naughty Dog and are one of the best in the industry. Probably the actual best.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a recent example where open world has benfitted the game. Open concept for approach aka Hitman etc. Sure. Open world, pretty much no. Being more linear has a lot of benefits.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I really miss the now ancient days of "open world" when the worlds were small and intricately designed while still allowing for fulfilling exploration. "Open world" is now synonymous with "sprawling" but I don't think it has to be that way.

Given Naughty Dog's toying with small "open" sections in Lost Legacy and TLOU2, I think they could honestly make a pretty stellar open world game that is bite-sized in comparison to the competition yet packed with content and interesting locales. Bigger = better has been the motto for almost every open world game these past two decades

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss the now ancient days of "open world" when the worlds were small and intricately designed while still allowing for fulfilling exploration. "Open world" is now synonymous with "sprawling" but I don't think it has to be that way.

Given Naughty Dog's toying with small "open" sections in Lost Legacy and TLOU2, I think they could honestly make a pretty stellar open world game that is bite-sized in comparison to the competition yet packed with content and interesting locales. Bigger = better has been the motto for almost every open world game these past two decades

That's actually the type of open-world game I think ND would make if they decide to make another. I don't think they'd throw their hat into the Rockstar, CDPR or UBI-style of open-world. In the sense that it wouldn't be this massive world that spans multiple states, cities or countries. Instead I think they'd create a small to medium sized area (by modern open-world standards) that's densely packed. I think they'd want to make everything still feel very handcrafted and that obviously gets harder and harder to do as the world gets larger.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they'll ever try a different genre again. Hasn't changed since Uncharted.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd rather see them try their hands at a new Crash game or a Last of Us racing game spin-off.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
The Last of Us 2 had open world segments. I had mixed feelings on it, because switching from linear to open world to linear made the wider areas more daunting to explore. I prefer one or the other, rather than a middle ground that attempts to do both. Unless it's a semi-open world series from the start and has a consistent format.

If they make a third one, I hope they stick to linear.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Only if it's Jak IV.

Something like The Last of Us or Uncharted would be seriously worse open world. It destroys pacing, and forces the developers to spend too much time on 'time wasting' instead of the things that make those series remarkable.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This industry is crazy enough to scale beyond AAA(A) and open worlds are trending now, Naughty Dog seems like a developer that can pull it off and Sony has the money...

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The open world was one of the weakest aspect of the game though.

the linear interior areas were worse save for the story, and myriad positive aspects of the gameplay would not have existed in a linear experience like Killzone

the moral of their story is that they did something wildly different, and it was good, and had they listened to anyone calling for more of the same it wouldn't exist

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I doubly hope not. They have gained a mastery at right gameplay scripted actions and immersion through design. Open worlds take all that way.

triple hope not.

the worst part of TLOU2 by far was they sort of semi open section in seattle. It felt forced and so.... gamey.

do what you do best and push yourself to evolve but don't force yourself to change simply because it's what works for others

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Hard no from me, until they announce their next game is open-world, at which point I will happily pre-order šŸ™ƒ

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The worst parts of their latest games have been the open world segments. Shorter open world sections can be used to break up heavy amounts of combat or emotional scenes, but shouldn't be used regularly in ND titles.

Should go without saying but this is all IMO.