• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think every single one of their MP components has suffered from playing second fiddle to the campaign so the idea of a standalone is pretty exciting.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a free to play version, financed with MT's. Can't see them making yet another new game just for MP alone.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Open world game set in the world of Last Of Us with PVE and PVP

giphy.gif

I want this so hard.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think every single one of their MP components has suffered from playing second fiddle to the campaign so the idea of a standalone is pretty exciting.

This exactly. I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a standalone MP title that really has had some time in the oven to make it special.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
My hot theory is that the main game is gonna involve a vaccine again and the overarching "story" in this expanded Factions thing 9 months later is about obtaining and distributing it amongst your people, building a network a la de-nuking the world in MGSV. The vaccine can be the goal for the Battle Royale winner, for example.

May 18, 2018
So £$60 for the single player and £$40/£$60 for TLOU FACTIONS.

I'm extremely disappointed that there is no MP for TLOU2. I'm not particularly happy about paying again for a MP game either. However, IF the scope of the MP is big and exciting with much more depth, I can get my head around it.

A launch window PS5 title I can see happening. Not on PS4 to force those who'd be happy to keep PS4 for a good while longer whilst they played MP Factions.

It will also be portrayed that unable to work on PS4 due to power limitations (stating they really wanted the MP to be 60fps as one of the reasons and only PS5 could do it).

It could be a massive create 'your character' RPG type with more attention to co-op play and Factions management, maybe with some story focussed missions (RDO2) amongst other modes too.

With rumours that BC will happen on PS5, this would fit perfect to have only on PS5 as I wouldn't be surprised if a free update happens for 60fps/graphics upgrades.

Fast forward 1-2 years later and a new, remastered PS5 version INC the Online element gets released.

I can cope with all that, after all there here to make money.

However, if its a F2P with MTX or even if paid with MTX, they can go and fuck themselves and I'd be out. From that point onwards, I'd be extremely sceptical of anything that Sony did and would more than likely buy the next Xbox too for options, even if I'm not a fan of GAAS or subscriptions.

If I pay extra for a MP only game, everything should be free. Maps, Costumes, Weapons, Taunts etc and NOTHING should be available to purchase with real money. Maybe this is Sony's plan to establish a model like this? IF paying separate for a MP Only game means all that BS goes away and the Publishers feel they are getting enough, I'd be up for it.

May 18, 2018
My hot theory is that the main game is gonna involve a vaccine again and the overarching "story" in this expanded Factions thing 9 months later is about obtaining and distributing it amongst your people, building a network a la de-nuking the world in MGSV. The vaccine can be the goal for the Battle Royale winner, for example.

Nice. Sounds interesting. Another Strand game? :-)

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I'm really surprised at the negative reaction this is getting. I thought it was generally accepted that tacking multiplayer modes on single-player narrative-driven games was a habit of the last generation that was much less common in this one (it was even really criticised back then!).

I guess this one was particularly good? Never tried it myself, not what I look for in these games.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Honestly, I don't really want Factions to be "more ambitious". It was pretty much the perfect format as is. It worked so well because it was so focused and intimate. The only thing that held it back were the pay to win mechanics.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Dont mind with MP coming a year later only on PS5 either.

MP was great yes but what made Last Of us Masterpiece is SP only. Take all your time and resource for SP. The expectation from this game is like no other.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Well this is sort of good news I guess, shame it's not coming with the base game. I just wish they told people sooner

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's not concrete at all. No release window. No title. It's literally "don't worry you'll still get to experience that...someday". They themselves literally say they don't know how we'll get to experience that. You think we're getting this game within the next 2 years? When they don't even know what this game is yet?

Obviously...

Wait, you really think we won't get the game in the next 2 years??

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So much outrage for nothing,I will wait the time they need,I have no doubt they will delivery a great multiplayer,better than rush to release with the game.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Not a single problem with this. The focus of God of War allowed them to make a bigger and more ambitious game.

And by allowing a team to experiment with an online-only side project for the next year will be good for the studio to get their feet wet on PS5.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It has to be a free upgrade for those who buy TLOU Part 2. What kind of ambition could justify the multiplayer as a separate product for our $, I wonder? Either way, really interested when they announce it and what does it mean for their single player DLC.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
"Eventually" is my new favorite release window.

Coming "Eventually" to PS4...

This news is interesting. Factions had that fun meta game of managing survivors, I could see them expanding that. Also trying to work out their own spin on battle royale.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Launching a GAAS early into next gen is the best solution, as noone wants to launch a SP early into a new gen, due to the small installed base.

We could expect a new ND IP around 2023/24, and TLOU3 for 2027

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
"We realized we could make it a stand alone game and charge you for it. Want it? Pay more for it, fuck you."

I really enjoyed the first one's multiplayer mode on ps3 and then again when i bought the remaster on ps4. It was a really interesting take.
Guess im not doing that now.

They've literally said only that they're working on a multiplayer game and that what's envisaged is too big to release with TLoU 2 next February.

Look at the games they've released previously and I think you'd be hard pushed to say ND are a cash grab company. The cynicism on these forums astounds me sometimes.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I could see a Battle Royal kind of thing where groups from different "settlements" (squads) get put in a place to get specific supplies before other groups get to it. Could be really fun with setting traps, limited ammo etc.

I'd be fine with an evolution of the first game's mp too though. Honestly I'd be cool with anything they could do.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
They're part of the single player team now I think and will work on something else after the game goes gold

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Nintendo seem to be the only companies out there focusing on single player only experiences in a gaming market where time spent playing is being monetized and games as a service is the trend. It's nice.

EDIT - And Square Enix

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like ND wanted this new project to be secret until they had something concrete

But the backlash over the lack of MP in TLOU Part II changed that

At least, it's cool to know that their MP team cooked something

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
No problem Naughty Dog you will also eventually experience the fruits of my wallet when TLOU Part II is $20 or less.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I have never touched Factions MP in TLOU and I have played that game at least 5 times now. Have I missed a lot? Can I still jump in and enjoy the full experience?

I feel happy that a multiplayer mode is coming out for this eventually.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they are crying right now. How dare they focus on the game they want to make.

They have every right as a developer to make the game they want to make. I'm not entitled to anything, they are the devs and I'm just a consumer. They could make TLOU II a volleyball game with giant crabs as the owners of the IP but I on the other hand have every right to buy a game or not and at what price I want because they are not entitled to my money.

So what's your point exactly? I'm not allowed to show my personal disappointment about their decision and how that impacts my desire about getting the game? Is this a thread 12 month timed exclusive for Sony enthusiasts and only after that are others allowed to show their disappointment?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They have every right as a developer to make the game they want to make. I'm not entitled to anything, they are the devs and I'm just a consumer. They could make TLOU II a volleyball game with giant crabs as the owners of the IP but I on the other hand have every right to buy a game or not and at what price I want because they are not entitled to my money.

So what's your point exactly? I'm not allowed to show my personal disappointment about their decision and how that impacts my desire about getting the game? Is this a thread 12 month timed exclusive for Sony enthusiasts only after that the others are allowed to show their dissapointment?

Relax. I'm just lightheartedly making fun of the righteousness vibe of your post. We barely know what the game is, how big or ambitious it is or how much this might improve the eventual MP experience. ND didn't make this call to disappoint people or rob them of content, they made this call to ensure their priorities and deadlines of the biggest game they ever made are in the right order

To read posts like yours with a knee-jerk comment like 'well then say goodbye to my money because my whims aren't immediately catered to' when you barely know what the product will actually be and whether the decisions will be worth it or not, yes that's funny to me. It's the most 'gamer' like response I know.

Personally, i'm more excited at the potential of a standalone multiplayer title than a tacked-on experience that only a small subsection of buyers will even play. It gives the MP it's own spotlight and it will ensure a healthier playerbase most likely.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When you eventually experience the fruits of the ambition of the online team you will be ashamed of your words & deeds.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Week): platform wars, prior related infractions
Man all the people defending this are just who I would expect.

Naughty dog and Sony cant do no wrong

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
So £$60 for the single player and £$40/£$60 for TLOU FACTIONS.

I'm extremely disappointed that there is no MP for TLOU2. I'm not particularly happy about paying again for a MP game either. However, IF the scope of the MP is big and exciting with much more depth, I can get my head around it.

A launch window PS5 title I can see happening. Not on PS4 to force those who'd be happy to keep PS4 for a good while longer whilst they played MP Factions.

It will also be portrayed that unable to work on PS4 due to power limitations (stating they really wanted the MP to be 60fps as one of the reasons and only PS5 could do it).

It could be a massive create 'your character' RPG type with more attention to co-op play and Factions management, maybe with some story focussed missions (RDO2) amongst other modes too.

With rumours that BC will happen on PS5, this would fit perfect to have only on PS5 as I wouldn't be surprised if a free update happens for 60fps/graphics upgrades.

Fast forward 1-2 years later and a new, remastered PS5 version INC the Online element gets released.

I can cope with all that, after all there here to make money.

However, if its a F2P with MTX or even if paid with MTX, they can go and fuck themselves and I'd be out. From that point onwards, I'd be extremely sceptical of anything that Sony did and would more than likely buy the next Xbox too for options, even if I'm not a fan of GAAS or subscriptions.

If I pay extra for a MP only game, everything should be free. Maps, Costumes, Weapons, Taunts etc and NOTHING should be available to purchase with real money. Maybe this is Sony's plan to establish a model like this? IF paying separate for a MP Only game means all that BS goes away and the Publishers feel they are getting enough, I'd be up for it.

Wow, just wow! How did uou reach to those conclusions?!?