• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to disagree.

Predictable games with poor pacing and average combat are the things i personally associate with naughty dog games. I know I'm in the minority especially on this board but the games at least are absolutely gorgeous.

Red Dead, Lost Odyssey, even the citadel DLC in mass effect were much more successful at "hitting the feels" than anything they've done.
Poor pacing? Uncharted 2 is practically pacing perfected.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I seldom get hit in the feels by blockbuster games or movies. They are all to simple.

ND games does not only feel like Blockbuster movies, it seems many game scenes are very inspired" by them

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Not to me. I'm sorry, but the people to really hit me in the feels are BioWare, Kojima, Obsidian, and CDProjekt RED.

TLOU is the only ND to even get any feels from me.
That's fair, I didn't really get sad in UC4 but I found those scenes done immaculately, no other dev does scenes quite as good imo. TLOU was all about the feels, I recognize however that others may find different games more emotional.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That scene nearly made my eyes roll clean out of my head. Cliche traffic jam.

"You mean to say she's been following in the footsteps of her lost father and the trinket he sent her was a key to the secret door? Next you'll be telling me the power was within her all along and the real treasure was the friends they made along the way!"

Christ I hope TLOU2 has some different people doing the writing.

I was replaying LL and I actually found this scene very difficult to watch with a straight face. UC4 was generally well written, LL is a considerable step down.

Anyway, I think the only ND game that has truly hit me in the feels was TLOU, especially at the start. Really strong intro.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I think I pretty much agree with this?

I have a hard time getting into TLOU like everyone else though. I remember people going crazy about the intro, but it couldn't have hit any softer for me.

Maybe I am reading this wrong but do you really think most had a hard time getting into TLOU?

I'm replaying the game now and the ending to the intro still gave me the feels. I love games like the witcher 2/3 but it lacks the character performances and animations to make me care enough to get those kind of feels.

Other games besides TLOU to give me serious feels are Journey and ofcourse The Last Guardian(especially the ending).

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The way Elena looks at Drake when he's on a roll, and the way he realizes that he's doing the thing he told her he wouldn't do, but he can't help it. That "I'm sorry". That's why Druckmann is the fucking best.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
With all this Last of Us talk, I can't believe no one has brought up Sam and Henry. That scene where he's talking to Ellie, knowing what's going to happen to him just rips my heart out. Then the next morning... Shit.

One of the hardest hitting scenes in a game to me, truly gave me some emotions.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
All of these off topic posts about how naughty dog have no emotional impact are silly.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Nope. I recently went through Uncharted and Last of Us. I played the entire Uncharted series's for the first time this year.
They're good games. Not amazing like everyone says though. I think 4 is the best story wise but even then, it's because of Drakes brother.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
With all this Last of Us talk, I can't believe no one has brought up Sam and Henry. That scene where he's talking to Ellie, knowing what's going to happen to him just rips my heart out. Then the next morning... Shit.

One of the hardest hitting scenes in a game to me, truly gave me some emotions.
"What if the people are still inside? What if they're trapped in there without any control over their body? I'm scared of that happening to me."

😭😭

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All the stuff being posted from TLoU is just so well done. Still to this day I haven't seen another game that can actually challenge it in these type of emotional set-pieces. I guess it's really a matter of taste but nothing really comes close at pulling this off. The acting, the mo-cap, the direction, the music is all perfectly working together to deliver these scenes. Red Dead 2 came close in the acting part. but the other stuff wasn't hitting at the same level.

I really hope they can recapture this magic in the sequel.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
UC4 was generally well written, LL is a considerable step down.
Mixed bag for me. Preferred UC4's writing in general, once they got past the sudden brother out of nowhere who everyone somehow never mentioned before. The pacing started to drag at times though.

LL was way tighter paced but was loaded with painful cliches.

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to play Uncharted 4. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to it yet.

This generation, I don't think a came as evoked as much emotion out of me as Horizon Zero Dawn. Either because of anger at Ted, or pulling at heartstrings at the end when you see that flower arrangement....

Jun 7, 2018
"You know, Ellie, we really are the Way of the Warrior."

EsteemedCrispKangaroo-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
THe only scene that really did it for me was Ellie chewing Joel out for trying to dump her off.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This thread is specifically for people who've had these experiences with Naughty Dog games tugging at their heartstrings to share them and discuss them with one another. It's not about how you disagree with the OP's opinion and prefer other games. It's not for you to shit on the games because they didn't resonate with you. It has a specific fucking purpose. Why are some of you coming in here to ruin this for those who want to have a genuine discussion without all the garbage inbetween? Do you have nothing better to do? There are countless other threads to post in. Hell, start your own! What a concept.

On topic, here's one that doesn't get mentioned often but I felt was particularly strong, from Uncharted 3:

Nate shows a lot of vulnerability here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I didn't get any strong feelings with the original Uncharted trilogy, but Uncharted 4 is amazing at this.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I still get the chills when I think about that moment in TLoU near the end of the third act when Joel turns to Ellie and says, "You know, Ellie, we really are the last of us."

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Pretty much the whole of TLOU, one way or another. I still reckon Winter is the best level/chapter/sequence I've ever played through in gaming. From the first time you meet David you know something is wrong, and when you talk to the other members of his faction both their accommodation with what they have done to survive and David's proclivity...yes, it's been done before, but not in a game and rarely as well.

The giraffe got me more in the context of what's around it - coming out of Winter and what then happens in Spring. If anything it was more impactful on my second playthrough as this oasis of peace & simple joy.

UC4 is the same - it's underlying themes of deception & family are done incredibly well, and are implemented in all the character backstories, including Rafe & Nadine which, are brilliantly woven together into the moments people have linked to. I remember a prelaunch interview with Neil saying that there weren't as many bombastic set pieces as previous entries in the series, but smaller, more intimate ones and they absolutely delivered on it.

My other highlight is Nate in the desert in UC3. The whole sequence from the airport through to the plane crash ending in this contemplative sequence

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I am reading this wrong but do you really think most had a hard time getting into TLOU?

I'm replaying the game now and the ending to the intro still gave me the feels. I love games like the witcher 2/3 but it lacks the character performances and animations to make me care enough to get those kind of feels.

Other games besides TLOU to give me serious feels are Journey and ofcourse The Last Guardian(especially the ending).

Sorry, I mean to say

"I can't get into it to the same degree that everyone else has, particularly the intro does nothing for me."

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
"Ellie! You are treading on some mighty thin ice here..."

"EVERYONE FUCKING EXCEPT FOR YOU"

And of course Ellie's legendary "...Ok..."

This one gave me chills man!!

I also love when daxter found Jak, and jak woke up and his first ever words were "I AM GOING TO KILL PRAXIS" I remember that as a kid. 🤣🤣

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are very few videogame moments I reminiscent and watch from YouTube every now and then and TLoU's Sarah's Death and Ending '"...ok..." with the music kicking in is one of them.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this threads just reminds me why Naughty Dog are so far above everyone else.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is specifically for people who've had these experiences with Naughty Dog games tugging at their heartstrings to share them and discuss them with one another. It's not about how you disagree with the OP's opinion and prefer other games. It's not for you to shit on the games because they didn't resonate with you. It has a specific fucking purpose. Why are some of you coming in here to ruin this for those who want to have a genuine discussion without all the garbage inbetween? Do you have nothing better to do? There are countless other threads to post in. Hell, start your own! What a concept.

You. I like you.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
My favorite:

I also like the Uncharted 4 scene where Nate basically tells Sully to fuck off and keep an eye out for Elena.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
As a parent the sewer section in TLoU hit me hard, especially when Joel goes into the classroom. It was the combination of the happy drawing on the board, the bodies under the cover and the chalk on the floor that said 'They didn't suffer'. For me that was a tough bit to go through.

giphy.gif

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
That TLOU scene in the OP is always my go-to for this sort of thing. What an incredible scene.

Also a slightly underrated one; the very end of UC2. "What's a 10?" "Clowns" "Clowns!?". What a perfect light hearted way to end that story.

Also what is about when people see a thread titled "I like this thing" that compels them to come in and tell people their wrong?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The last of us scene in the op is probably my favourite acted scene of all time. Fucking incredible performances

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
The Last of Us introduction is the closest any videogame ever has been to make me cry and it hits me right in the feels no matter how many times I see it. Incredibly well done.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
The only scene that made me feel anything in Tlou was when Joel started torturing the two guys in the winter section. Game stopped having any kind of impact after they used the cliché deaths tropes (the brothers). Was just so bad. Only the anger of Joel kinda saved it

On the other hand UC 4 was most definitely their most subtle work. Loved it as much as LL

How did NO ONE mention this scene from The Lost Legacy!?
I am SO disappointed in all of you.

Apparently you can't read

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: driveby; antagonising other users
Lol, imaging catching feelings from one of these terribly written Naughty Dog games. Gamers are truly something else.