• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Point of Comparison
What utter callous bullshit.

First off we know that these people are being pressured to do this.

Second just because shits bad doesn't mean it has to be that way. Guess we shouldn't ask for improvements in medicine since we were so used to leaches.

Finally, and I can't stress this enough, 24 hour work day.

Fuck out of here with your "welcome to the world" horseshit. Just say you don't care about people's working conditions as long as you get your games.

This post is like a like a raging trump tweet. Congratulations.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
No it does not.
What I'm saying is true.
There are always going to be Somone who wants something more and is willing to work for it.
And people agree to these work circumstances.
The most sensible thing is to look closely at the contract, very closely, if you don't like it, negotiate or look for another position, the thing is there are people who are willing to do accept these "crunch" allowing contracts.

The average wage for a videogame programmer is $83,484 a year.
Ok yeah I believe you, but what does that have to do with an article that's talking about devs being pressured and doing it unwillingly?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of crunch, there are loads of jobs which require crunch.

Video game makers are paid very well, so there extra work is rewarded, they get paid more then cooks, nurses, firemen etc, I'm sure some of them "crunch" just as much as video game makers, but they get paid less.

You do realize that video game devs on average are paid less then any other software developer market? And work as many or more hours.

Feb 10, 2018
Ok yeah I believe you, but what does that have to do with an article that's talking about devs being pressured and doing it unwillingly?

It's perfectly on topic. Other posters have not spoken on the things you mentioned specifically, but have commented on the topic of"crunch".
Why arent you saying this to these other posters?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I BET that people that downplay all the crunch news in the games industry lose their minds when doing a 1 extra work in their jobs and come here full of themselves with the hot takes.

It's fair and not forced as long as we get the games, amirite?

Feb 10, 2018
How is the problem going to be solved if you keep making excuses and rationale for people and companies that do hardcore and longterm crunch?

It won't matter what I say, when companies can get cheaper workers.

Maybe the people not wanting to crunch prefer doing 40hrs a week for $40,000 a year? Maybe companies should do that.

Last edited:

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I remember when I worked for 18-16 hours/day for 6 months..I had a hard time remembering my name at the beginning of the 6th month and that was where I knew that I reached my limit.

Oct 27, 2017
Think we have known they crunch hard for a while now. If they're being compensated for their long hours I don't see the issue here or at any studio. Long hours are needed to meet deadlines and let's not pretend like these careers don't make REALLY good money. I may come off like I'm a dick but I can't bring myself to care about employee's who willingly applied there and knew about the crunch going in.
What's REALLY good money to you?

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Sounds like a great place to work to have on your resume but not a place you want to stay at unless you are one of the top people who get recognition.
This is how most game studios are. Blizzard for example is a great name to have on your resume but the work life is atrocious, you're underpaid, overworked, and no one cares because they know you'll stay because Blizzard.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I remember when I worked for 18-16 hours/day for 6 months..I had a hard time remembering my name at the beginning of the 6th month and that was where I knew that I reached my limit.
Can very much relate. At some point your concentration just dies. You forget things and listening to people becomes a struggle and you rather not be bothered. This already becomes the case with 50 hour work weeks because you literally have no free time left. So it becomes a tough choice between having no life or sleeping fewer hours. Now i'm imagining what these guys with 50> hours must be going through. Must be downright awful

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Can very much relate. At some point your concentration just dies. You forget things and listening to people becomes a struggle and you rather not be bothered. This already becomes the case with 50 hour work weeks because you literally have no free time left. So it becomes a tough choice between having no life or sleeping fewer hours. Now i'm imagining what these guys with 50> hours must be going through. Must be downright awful
I have a 50+ hour week every week, but it's because I have a 2+ hour commuter bus ride each way. It does give me time to play games on my Switch, read a book or anything else I can do comfortably on a bus, but I do feel like I have no life during the week. I get home around 7pm and need to be in bed by 9:30pm to be up at 5am.

I get paid well, but there are absolutely times I get really aggravated about it. I was spoiled having a 15 mile drive to work for many years.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
I thought this attempt has capitalistic approaches which is why we got at this point. Make a floaty release, plan better and dont treat your staff bad.
Cant be this hard to make this happen

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Gonna buy it in the second hand games bin at my local store, sry for not expressing myself correctly, not my 1st language.
Will you be offline forever? If not, you'll show up as another +1 in their stats of satisfied players, thus sending the complete opposite message you want them to get. Since they won't know whether you bought new or used, all they'll know is you're playing it and liking it. The correct way to protest is to never ever play it.

eysoycoco

Jul 23, 2019
Will you be offline forever? If not, you'll show up as another +1 in their stats of satisfied players, thus sending the complete opposite message you want them to get. Since they won't know whether you bought new or used, all they'll know is you're playing it and liking it. The correct way to protest is to never ever play it.
I'd say not giving them my money, and giving it to a costumer and a local business instead of them and, btw, telling them and being vocal about it is a good enough protest. For me, at least, i dont pretend to push on others my choices.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that he does, yes.
Not that that makes things any better.

I might have a warped sense of this, but making games is weird. It's like a time vaccuum. 8 hours seems like barely enough time to get started on your work day when it comes to gamedev. Making a game feels like more of a lifestyle choice than a dayjob. For me i don't think it'd be possible to do anything good without spending far more time than 8 hours a day. At least during the final months I think a lot of overtime seems kind of inevitable.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
ND and this industry needs to do better.

If that means a 4 year cycle, then so be it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Managers that have so little care for their employees physical and mental wellbeing should be held personally criminally accountable imo. At the very least the company.
But yeah it's the US, what you gonna do. If they push through labor reforms they're going to lose a lot of jobs to actually civilized countries, so now both the workers and the game industry is fucked.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
How is the problem going to be solved though, if there are people willing to crunch?

Laws and regulations that protect the well-being of workers. Not sure how it is in the US, but in Sweden we have a "work time law" that workers themselves also are bound by (although collective bargaining agreements can overrule it in certain instances) that for example requires:

• No more than 40 hours/week ordinary work time
  • No more than 50 hours/month and 200 hours/year overtime
  • At least 11 consecutive hours of rest per 24 hour period
  • At least 36 consecutive hours of rest per week

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
And I'd politely tell my peers to fuck off if they even tried to pressure me into overworking, especially if I was getting my stuff done and doing it well.
Peer pressure is never that active IME. I've had conversations with people who openly told me they refuse to go home because 'otherwise they'd fall back because they're not as talented as the rest of the team' - these are self-inflicted behaviors for most part, but propagated by the environment.

Of course it's harder to make something that's great. I can't believe you're suggesting otherwise. It's the difference between 1 pass on something and 6 passes. It's the difference between "good enough" and "awesome". It's the difference between cutting some content because it looks tough to do in the time left, and getting it done and done well.
Oh you sweet summer child...

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It's not crunch, they're perfectionists, it's ingrained in their DNA, and it's part of the culture.

Sep 12, 2018
It's not crunch, they're perfectionists, it's ingrained in their DNA, and it's part of the culture.
ad30c38f4ff852336732ebb7e031cd474d9da710.gif

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
That "oh you can head home if you want, but I'm gonna stay because I'm really creative and passionate and wanna make sure this turns out really good" is the most toxic bullshit in the work place.