• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Druckmann is way too defensive over a lot of this and needs to step back. By replying to all the shit he's signal boosting it, which makes more people comment on it, which he lashes out about. Unsure if they will address the deadnaming anytime soon with the same defensiveness, perhaps has an awareness there that some things should (have been) left in the ideas bin (along with tweets).

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we please just ignore these people? Judging by the phenomenal sales of this game, they clearly do not fucking matter in any way and are just an annoying tiny minority. Christ..

Also Neil needs to just ignore them. It's the best way to drive them even more mad knowing they truly don't matter

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
the hate campaing against this game is reaching No Man's Sky level.

i'm sorry for all the devs having to cope with this bullshit, hope the game sells as good as the first, they deserve it.

Oct 25, 2017
That would require him to actually care about developers. And it should be crystal clear to everyone now that he really doesn't.

The only thing Jim is concerned about is maintaining that patreon revenue by manipulating gamer outrage. Not "that gamer outrage" but the one where gamers think it's ok to harass developers because they don't think something is worth the asking price... but they want it though.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
the hate campaing against this game is reaching No Man's Sky level.

i'm sorry for all the devs having to cope with this bullshit, hope the game sells as good as the first, they deserve it.
Its well well beyond that I seen pretty much every single gross thing said to the dev, voice actors and others

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People on this very forum were pushing this notion. In any case, I'm glad they both responded to clear that up, but it's genuinely irritating how quick people are to push misinformation and falsehoods. Many gamers really are not especially bright people, either that or they simply don't care about where the truth lies so long as it pushes their favoured agenda.

It's pretty much everyone on the internet really. The nature of the internet especially nowadays makes it so you have to fact check everything you read. I've had to warn friends and family numerous times when they retweet or repost falsehoods, people just haven't wrapped their head around it all yet. You are right people are quicker and more eager to push things that fit whatever their agenda is, even if said thing is total BS.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing Jim is concerned about is maintaining that patreon revenue by manipulating gamer outrage. Not "that gamer outrage" but the one where gamers think it's ok to harass developers because they don't think something is worth the asking price... but they want it though.
yep. it boogles my mind ppl still put him on a pedestal. he's outrage YT lite.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
That would require him to actually care about developers. And it should be crystal clear to everyone now that he really doesn't.

I'm truly disappointed in Jim and how he refuses to call out the bigots and misinformation regarding ND and the leaks about TLoU2. Because if he did care, he'd equally denounce the death threats and review bombing

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The hate for this game will make me to buy a second copy just to look at it when I am enjoying the first one.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It wouldn't help.

Murray got targeted for making claims that didn't represent NMS at launch.

Drukmann is being targeted because his game is "political"
I think it would. Both got a huge amount of online vitriol and death threats. It's not about "Bbut he liiied! Druckmann didn't! It's totally different!". It's about online rage culture and how both of them are victims of it.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It really fucking is embarrassing and pathetic to see.

I just don't get it. It's a game... Yes it's violent, it's heavy, it's tough to stomach and it deals with stuff that games often don't touch... but at the end of the day it's media. Engage with it or don't, enjoy it or don't. Criticise it, praise it, do alllll the things that are done every day with any other piece of media. There's no reason why it needed to blow up into all this bullshit.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There's no amount of help they can get that doesn't make looking at actual gore not traumatizing.
From an anecdotal perspective. I know multiple makeup artists who for some reason or another, are completely unfazed by the reference they look at while doing some damn convincing work. I, as an artist, do not engage with that sort of thing. Because I am squeamish. Not everyone approaches art the same way. And no one goes into a project like the last of us as some naive newbie completely unaware of what they'd be engaging with.
The drama around this game is unreal. "Forced them to watch". Like Neil standing behind them with a knife and saying: "Watch this material or YOU will be the reference material" or what?
"Watch the reference, or else"
B4Q-K39CQAEEpMj.jpg:large

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the artists are told to make the gore look as realistic as possible, I find it hard to imagine they really had much of a choice. It's also a "choice" for ND's developers to do crunch.
Seeing some of your posts in threads about the game it seems you have a bone to pick with it and want to protray it as negative as possible for no reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Idk if they were "forced" to, but Neil Druckmann said a couple of years ago that they watched videos of actual gore for reference:

Source: https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-s-violence-is-designed-to-be-rep-1826781044

I get that Neil Druckmann is probably exhausted from looking at the internet but.... the claim that ND devs looked at horrific stuff to get the gore in the game as realistic as possible doesn't come from bigots.
Seems you completely missed the "forced" part

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
There was an interview with Druckmann where he said this:

"And our whole approach is to say, 'We want to treat this as realistically as possible.' When you stab someone—if you watch reference videos, which we have, it's gross and it's messy and it's not sanitized like you see in most movies and games. And we wanted to get the player to feel that."

Some people took that as the team being forced to binge LiveLeak videos.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When the artists are told to make the gore look as realistic as possible, I find it hard to imagine they really had much of a choice. It's also a "choice" for ND's developers to do crunch.

This is the kind of shit that makes these discussions exhausting.

Even when actual developers tell you otherwise, you discredit them. It seems like you don't actually care or value the developers or what they have to say unless it suits your favoured agenda, instead you are quick to call Alexandria a liar, and only appear to care about what she or others have to say when it's in the service of shitting on ND, something you've been doing tirelessly of late.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would. Both got a huge amount of online vitriol and death threats. It's not about "Bbut he liiied! Druckmann didn't! It's totally different!". It's about online rage culture and how both of them are victims of it.

There has been a turn of opinion on Murray due in part to NMS becoming a better game and the fact Internet Historian did a video encompassing the pre-release to the now of NMS and Murray's history.

Oct 29, 2017
Probably imposing the experience of some devs on MK.

kotaku.com

'I'd Have These Extremely Graphic Dreams': What It's Like To Work On Ultra-Violent Games Like Mortal Kombat 11

Mortal Kombat 11 is a brutal game. That’s what you come for—sensational, over-the-top violence that’s inventive and gratuitous on a level that doesn’t exist anywhere else. It can be shocking in its detail and funny in its execution, but it’s always arresting. It’s also short. Fatalities, gory...

I was going to look for this article, one dev talked about how he saw so much horrific imagery that he began to hallucinate and see a pile of gore where his dog would be. That stuck with me for a while.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you. I honestly can't stand it and while some of the subjects he touches on are worth discussing, he doesn't set them up to be discussed in a meaningful and constructive way, nor is he doing it because he cares about the people working on those games. His whole 'thing' is to fuel gamer outrage for the clicks by constantly setting up the games industry as some big bad enemy that gamers need to rise up against. It's toxic as fuck.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I like to make it clear its not just devs getting harass here at all. reviews and voice actors have being constantly harass in very gross ways.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing some of your posts in threads about the game it seems you have a bone to pick with it and want to protray it as negative as possible for no reason.
I'm not sure if you actually read my posts if you think I have zero reason for being critical of the game or Naughty Dog.
This is the kind of shit that makes these discussions exhausting.

Even when actual developers tell you otherwise, you discredit them. It seems like you don't actually care or value the developers or what they have to say unless it suits your favoured agenda, instead you are quick to call Alexandria a liar, and only appear to care about what she or others have to say when it's in the service of shitting on ND, something you've been doing tirelessly of late.
I'm not calling Alexandria a liar, I can believe that she didn't have a problem with this stuff. But I am also not going to take the experience of one employee who is able to speak up about their positive experience at the company as an indication of the experience of everyone who works there. Especially when the employees who have a negative experience there can't speak up without putting their job on the line.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sure seems exausting to the team at ND. They shouldnt care about it though. Their game is already breaking records and it is a critical sucess. Let the bigots talk with themselves, no one care for their stupid fake narratives.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Good timing, considering so many people try to derail TLOU2 topics with accusations based on that. (as with so many other things)
Neil retweet is also great.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if you actually read my posts if you think I have zero reason for being critical of the game or Naughty Dog.

I'm not calling Alexandria a liar, I can believe that she didn't have a problem with this stuff. But I am also not going to take the experience of one employee who is able to speak up about their positive experience at the company as an indication of the experience of everyone who works there. Especially when the employees who have a negative experience there can't speak up without putting their job on the line.
I think your only potraying the critical and not anything else like your going out of your way to shit on naughty dog, the game and anyone that likes it. That's how it feels like going back reading your posts in every last of us thread.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Can we please just ignore these people? Judging by the phenomenal sales of this game, they clearly do not fucking matter in any way and are just an annoying tiny minority. Christ..

Also Neil needs to just ignore them. It's the best way to drive them even more mad knowing they truly don't matter
There were people on this very forum who were repeating these accaccusations. There were threads about many of the "controversies" that Neil addresses in his tweet. The misinformation isn't being perpetuated by alt right trolls alone.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Without spoiling anything whats this thing about Neil being in this game? He talks about it in that tweet and I saw Laura Bailey reference it. I've tried to stay away from anything about this game until I've finished it.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll never know how other people at different departments are treated and how much their bosses imply.
Sure, you don't have to watch or do this and this, but it would be a real shame if you would hinder other peoples workflow
or don't match the deadlines like everyone else.
Heck, even the Rockstar Story was so damn different, depending on who you ask and where they worked.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not calling Alexandria a liar, I can believe that she didn't have a problem with this stuff. But I am also not going to take the experience of one employee who is able to speak up about their positive experience at the company as an indication of the experience of everyone who works there. Especially when the employees who have a negative experience there can't without putting their job on the line.

What Alexandria has said only corroborates what Neil himself has said in a past interview, that they ensure only the people who want to work on this stuff are the ones who are working on it.

And yes, you are inadvertently calling both Alexandria and Neil liars, in other words pushing this notion (without any evidence I should add) that this example is a unique one, and that you're confident others will not have had this same treatment or experience, based on nothing but your own negative confirmation bias.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think your only potraying the critical and not anything else like your going out of your way to shit on naughty dog, the game and anyone that likes it. That's how it feels like going back reading your posts in every last of us thread.
Sorry for not being positive on the game or a studio with notorious labor issues? Where do you get that i'm going out of my way to shit on anyone who likes it also?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I remember that thread here and how people jumped on ND over this.

How different would developers watching reference footage/images be from special effects artists for horror movies be?
I mentioned this in another thread, people complaining about the game being too violent and depressing. How is that any different than say a slasher film? Why aren't other horror films or games ever held to this ridiculously high standard? Why is this game being violent any worse than the hundreds of other violent games?
It feels like this game is being specifically targeted and its a bit silly

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I need to seriously consider disconecting completely from the gaming community.
It's a straight up embarrassment for humanity.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What Alexandria has said only corroborates what Neil himself has said in a past interview, that they ensure only the people who want to work on this stuff are the ones who are working on it.

And yes, you are inadvertently calling both Alexandria and Neil liars, in other words pushing this notion (without any evidence I should add) that this example is a unique one, and that you're confident others will not have had this same treatment or experience, based on nothing but your own negative confirmation bias.
It's not based on nothing, VFX artists getting traumatized from having to look at reference material absolutely happens.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are making this assumption based on the fact that it happened at Netherrealm, and since this game is also violent and gory it must have happened here too. This is dumb, because it ends up muddying the waters if employees DO come forward later saying that they were forced to watch reference material and developed PTSD from it. It's also possible that Naughty Dog has a good system in place for managing the fallout of creating a work like this, unlike Netherrealm.

Oct 27, 2017
Without spoiling anything whats this thing about Neil being in this game? He talks about it in that tweet and I saw Laura Bailey reference it.
There's a character in the game, played by another actor obviously, that has a man bun and sorta kinda looks like Neil, so naturally Neil, being the Harvey Weinstein of gaming, forced Laura Bailey to have sex with him in a mocap suit. I wish I was joking but that is just one of the many conspiracies surrounding this game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for not being positive on the game or a studio with notorious labor issues? Where do you get that i'm going out of my way to shit on anyone who likes it also?

This isn't about whether you like the game or not. It's you deciding that you're going to ignore what people who've literally worked on the game are telling you because it doesn't fit the narrative that you've decided to create.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your posts and looking back at your history in TLOU threads. that is pretty telling. I don't give a shit if you don't like hte game or ND but clogging up threads with baseless bs is pretty bad.

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully ND makes a game about this so gamers can understand.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about whether you like the game or not. It's you deciding that you're going to ignore what people who've literally worked on the game are telling you because it doesn't fit the narrative that you've decided to create.
I'm not ignoring the positive, I'm also just not ignoring what the industry is like lol.

I'm done, pretty clear y'all aren't going to listen regardless.