• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Take heart if the game was accidentally spoiled for you: you'll probably still have a good time. Context is king when it comes to story and it's easy to hear a snippet like "Snape Eats Dumbledore" and freak out, but you still lack context. You don't know how or why or anything. I myself saw some info from the leaks and now I'm mostly just curious. I don't feel spoiled. I'm actually more interested than I was before. How will that all play out?

We're so used to learning things linearly in stories, but sometimes it can be an interesting exercise to approach a story from a different way. To know the end in the beginning, regardless of how the storyteller tells the story.

Obviously, don't spoil yourself and whoever leaked this is garbage, but I'm just saying: it's not the end of the world. It might actually make it better.
Yup...very well said, still go in blind, don't let anyone color your perception.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Leaking the game and hurting the entire studio, including everyone that works there. is indefensible. I cannot imagine being so immature and selfish, even if you have a legit grievance with the studio.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
People are now going out of their way to spoil people. Just ugly shit from trolls.
I haven't seen the spoilers myself, but I've seen the posted videos and screenshots which I avoided.

Some are fake then? Good to know.
Basically some major things are being spread around that are not true due to what we have seen from the actual leaks.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
As I've said, it's not about whether it should or shouldn't , legal or illegal, it's about actively wishing for someone's life to be destroyed over spoilers for a video game. There's a bloodlust to destroy a person and his career, his life, his freedom because of...spoilers for a video game.

That crazy to me.

Well then maybe they shouldn't have broken the law and leaked sensitive information about a multi-million dollar AAA product lmfao. Jesus.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mate, we get it. You didn't like what you saw. Move on, quit with the dramatics.

Well for one thing I'm not a huge fan of the series so I'm more or less indifferent to the leaks personally.

Also what "dramatics"? I'm sharing my opinion. That's kind of what you do on a forum last time I checked.

Yes no impact at all. I don't believe for a second this will affect sales and it's just like all the other bs that some pretend that it's going to massively affect something and than nothing.
Agree to disagree then.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nintendo vindicated once again.

o-u1.gif

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I've been fortunate to avoid any leaks so far, but then I'm not very active on social media anyway. That's very much worked in my favour.

I hope they catch the prick responsible for leaking all the footage. At the very least name and shame them so that they never get to work in the industry again.

Aug 12, 2019
Sorry, but if you don't pay your employees and work them to the point of exhaustion with awful crunch periods, I don't really have empathy for the corporation. Yeah, it sucks work got leaked unofficially if you had no hand in that, but if the system is oppressing the people who work for you to the point of withholding due wages and affecting people's mental health, then I can't exactly blame someone for hitting the company back in the biggest way they could. The work of individual employees is still there and can be experienced by people not so plugged into internet culture anyway, so the rights of workers should absolute come first.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Well for one thing I'm not a huge fan of the series so I'm more or less indifferent to the leaks personally.

Also what "dramatics"? I'm sharing my opinion. That's kind of what you do on a forum last time I checked.

Agree to disagree then.
Dramatics as in acting like this is going to create a nosedive in sales. It's clearly not, you don't have to be a sales analyst to say that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not trying to justify what the leaker did at all, but I do wonder if this was a mental health issue. As in, what kind of sane, healthy individual would do this to their life and career?
ego. I remember a guy literally fucked his company over by leaving a delete command that perm deleted all their programs on their manufacturing line. Then on top of that he destroyed the backups as well. Just because of their ego.
In 1996, Tim Lloyd, an 11-year employee of OMEGA and a network administrator within the company, was fired. Three weeks after he was fired,[10] he unleashed a hacking "time bomb" within OMEGA's computer systems, deleting the software that ran all of OMEGA's manufacturing operations at its factory in Bridgeport, New Jersey.[7][11][12] OMEGA spent nearly $2 million repairing the programs and lost nearly $10 million in revenue, resulting in 80 employee layoffs, though Lloyd's lawyer stated that OMEGA's losses were far smaller.[7][11][12] Tim Lloyd was convicted of computer sabotage and was sentenced to 41 months in Federal prison.[12] The Tim Lloyd hacking case is considered one of the largest employee sabotage cases in United States history.

This person will be going straight to jail once caught.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible for the team at ND that worked so hard for so many years on this game. And i also feel terrible for all the people ND has tried to silence with NDAs and the reported awful working conditions.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
People are now going out of their way to spoil people. Just ugly shit from trolls.

Basically some major things are being spread around that are not true due to what we have seen from the actual leaks.

Last time something got spoiled for me out of spite was a random Facebook comment about The Force Awakens. The person was obviously just commenting on everything they could with the biggest spoiler in the movie hoping they would have the top comment that shows in the feed. I was pissed. It's such a worse feeling than genuinely stumbling upon something by accident.

For gaming I really only browse this site and it's not hard to avoid spoilers here so I'm hoping I'm safe.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dramatics as in acting like this is going to create a nosedive in sales. It's clearly not, you don't have to be a sales analyst to say that.
And you don't know that it won't. But as it's been pointed out already there isn't really any way to know one way or another. I just think it will and you think it won't. And that's fine. Everyone has opinions. No need to be so combative over it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Sorry, but if you don't pay your employees and work them to the point of exhaustion with awful crunch periods, I don't really have empathy for the corporation. Yeah, it sucks work got leaked unofficially if you had no hand in that, but if the system is oppressing the people who work for you to the point of withholding due wages and affecting people's mental health, then I can't exactly blame someone for hitting the company back in the biggest way they could. The work of individual employees is still there and can be experienced by people not so plugged into internet culture anyway, so the rights of workers should absolute come first.

I don't think many are advocating for empathy towards Sony, the corporate entity, but more the people that have been working on the game for four years.

The assumption made by many in this thread, that this is a disgruntled employee that has been crunched to death, has not been proven. Until it has, I'm loathe to make conclusions even though I agree with you about workers' rights 100%. Even if we accept this assumption, I'm not sure how this brings to light workers' rights as there is absolutely nothing about that subject at all related to the leak.

Oct 27, 2017
All of you looking forward to TLOU II need to get off Twitter, Facebook, Discord, Reddit and YouTube right now until this game releases.

Mar 18, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Advocating Doxxing
We need to have the name,so that everyone knows what piece of [...] s/he is. Didn't like the crunch, ehh? I hope you enjoy being unemployed for quite some time. Unless you want to work in McD instead of gamedev

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Well then maybe they shouldn't have broken the law and leaked sensitive information about a multi-million dollar AAA product lmfao. Jesus.

Hey, what happens, happens, I'm talking about actively wishing these terrible things to happen to him. Hence the word bloodlust. You can hide behind the legality of what he did all you want, actively hoping harm on someone for video games isn't something I think isn't right even with it being a 'AAA product.'

None of you quoting me seem to want to address that part of what I'm saying. But yes. Jesus.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Last time something got spoiled for me out of spite was a random Facebook comment about The Force Awakens. The person was obviously just commenting on everything they could with the biggest spoiler in the movie hoping they would have the top comment that shows in the feed. I was pissed. It's such a worse feeling than genuinely stumbling upon something by accident.

For gaming I really only browse this site and it's not hard to avoid spoilers here so I'm hoping I'm safe.
You should be okay fot ERA but I recommend avoiding all TLOU threads in case a troll slips up.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Thats more a middle finger to the workers, who worked their asses off than the company.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
We need to have the name,so that everyone knows what piece of [...] s/he is. Didn't like the crunch, ehh? I hope you enjoy being unemployed for quite some time. Unless you want to work in McD instead of gamedev
I'm sure the people actually impacted by the leak know who the leaker was. Anything beyond that only opens them (and their loved ones) up for abuse, harassment, and death threats by unhinged fans. That is definitely not the way to go.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Am I the only person who thinks this is a good thing? Drown out the real stuff

The Michael Scott path, i.e. making as much noise as possible that people drown in it instead of realizing what's what.

M-Scott2.gif

I'm sure the people actually impacted by the leak know who the leaker was. Anything beyond that only opens up abuse, harassment, and death threats by unhinged fans. That is definitely not the way to go.

Agreed doxxing the person is not the way to go. Not only is it similar to the thing that got some people angry, but it frankly isn't deserved.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
When you have people actively hoping this person is sued and jailed, 'put the spotlight' on them, etc., it's bloodlust

It's not bloodlust... it's literally the law, lmao.
This guy just leaked years and years of work from thousands of people from a multimilion dollar franchise from the biggest sequel to ever release on a Sony console. The biggest home console manufacturer in the market.
A project that has people overworked, tired and right when it's about to be complete... it's leaked.
He did so knowing what he was doing as well.
This IS a crime. Getting sued is hardly the worst thing that could happen here. And jail time is expected for sure.
But it does raise other questions. What drove this person to do something like this? He/she was probably mentally desperate/tired/worn out to reach this point.
Naughty Dog needs to change and this is a wake up call for them.
But expecting this person to get a warning or something is just not realistic.

AldabraRail

Banned
Sep 25, 2019
if this really did come from a pissed off employee, I hope this leads to ND and the game industry as a whole taking working conditions seriously. some devs are bound to be disappointed by the situation, but maybe it can lead to something positive in the long-run

Dec 8, 2018
This isn't really the threat you think it is. Game "careers" last a handful of years. Most people ship one or two games at most, and then leave the industry. It's a horrible, abusive, exploitative industry, and unless you're an owner/executive, you're probably dreaming of something better.

There is a thing called résumé that people who hire look at. This move could end his/her career regardless of industry.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This company (and plenty of others) has been "called out" repeatedly, and ignored it. Have you not read any gaming news this decade? One story of abuse and exploitation after another. This leak will do more to protect workers from game company abuse and exploitation than literally anything else that's ever happened in the industry.
Breaking the law is not the way to do it.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
So history repeats itself...lol
Do you remember when many posting TLOU1 spoilers (mostly fake infos) two weeks before its release day?

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Extremely this. These threads always expose the people who live on internet forums rather than having real life experience.
Seriously. This thread makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

They seem to be forgetting that Naughty Dog is made up of actual human beings that are going to be emotionally and mentally effected by this leak.

Someone above who's friends with someone at Naughty Dog mentioned their friend crying and breaking down. Yet idiots are still arguing.

I feel bad for all inevitable incoming hate that's going to come towards them on Twitter. Their community manager's replies are already filled with vitriol over the spoilers.

Fuck every person in this thread that defends this. Absolute scum.

Aug 12, 2019
I don't think many are advocating for empathy towards Sony, the corporate entity, but more the people that have been working on the game for four years.

The assumption made by many in this thread, that this is a disgruntled employee that has been crunched to death, has not been proven. Until it has, I'm loathe to make conclusions even though I agree with you about workers' rights 100%. Even if we accept this assumption, I'm not sure how this brings to light workers' rights as there is absolutely nothing about that subject at all related to the leak.

I just think it's dumb people are acting like the leak invalidates all the work individual employees have put in. The game will still come out in 2 months and all their work will be on full display, just because it didn't get a corporate unveiling on time and people very plugged in decided to spoil themselves on it (and a few got caught in the crossfire) does not invalidate everything they've done. It will still be there in all of its original intention and will likely find some fans for years to come as new people will still experience the true intention of that work. Yeah, it can suck to hear spoilers about something, but I do think on average the impact that has is greatly overstated anyway to begin with.

And, correct, I don't know every detail on this situation, but if a corporation can't pay it's worker, I see it as plenty valid to hit back that corporation. Legally speaking, you're probably not going to get much done and will face ages in court as your best case scenario and corporations very rarely suffer any consequence for disgusting behavior such as crunch and not paying employees. If the system can't help you resolve a conflict, hitting back is sometimes what workers have to do. And again, maybe some of this is incorrect info on the employee and I'll amend statements to reflect that later on, but right now it looks real bad for Sony and their corporation.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
That leaker is the scum of the earth. I feel for ND here. I got spoiled myself yesterday about probably the biggest moment/sequence in the game and honestly, I could cry. I've been anxiously waiting for this game for years, just for some asshole to come in and spoil it all. At least I didn't see any footage, but what I read was enough to destroy my excitement. Go fuck yourself, whoever it is and I hope his or her ass gets sued to high heaven.

Same man. Been feeling weird the whole afternoon because of this shit. I didn't know about any leaks and just checked Wario's twitter post about the release date earlier and got massively spoiled within seconds, really out of nowhere because I didn't know about any leaks. Such a massive bummer. I know it's just a piece of entertainment, but I've been looking forward to playing this game ever since I finished the first one. Of course the game will still be spectacular and I can't wait to also enjoy the gameplay-parts, but first and foremost I was looking forward to discovering all the story beats by the masterfully crafted cutscenes and dialogues. I will still enjoy the game, but part of the "discovering the story beats" has been taken from me.

I will also say this: Fuck not only the one who leaked it in the first place, but also the people spreading story leaks about the game all over the internet. Fuck you. Even if I use some spoiler protection browser add-ons, there are still people going as far as leaking stuff through private messages on reddit, PSN and over here. Why are some people so fucking awful.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
We need to have the name,so that everyone knows what piece of [...] s/he is. Didn't like the crunch, ehh? I hope you enjoy being unemployed for quite some time.
Yeah let's get some of the historically, well adjusted gaming fans to harass them.

That will go fine and is completely justified.

Unless you want to work in McD instead of gamedev
Why shit on people that work at McDonalds?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Breaking the law is not the way to do it.

I disagree when it comes to protesting because frankly, the times in the world where things actually change require a breaking of the law. Look at any point in history and you'll see that. However, I really don't like this in reference to this leak because we have no idea what the point of the leak is. People are just upset because of the bad crunch that ND has illustrated and decided that this is a way to call attention to that. I fail to see how.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
And you don't know that it won't. But as it's been pointed out already there isn't really any way to know one way or another. I just think it will and you think it won't. And that's fine. Everyone has opinions. No need to be so combative over it.
Sure, apologies.

Has any leak ever had such a material impact on the actual products success? It just seems like an incredibly far-fetched prediction.