• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm mystified as to why some people are actually praising whoever did this. How does spoiling years of your coworkers' hard efforts fix anything? I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I'd spent that much time on a project, poured that much of myself into such a big team effort, only to have it unceremoniously shoved on the internet before it was ready. All it does is distract from any of the real problems at Naughty Dog, and inflict even more damage on morale. Anybody thinking this is some kind of "justice" haven't got the first fucking clue.

Oct 25, 2017
There is a middle ground between being disappointed and destroyed by a leak.

Regardless of it, the leak happened and you can't do much now.
See below.

My friend has been crying about this, it's a realll shit feeling when something you been killing yourself over gets sent out and ruined for people early.

People are so selfish and fucked. But its the process of moving from a creative medium, to releasing it to the public. Always feels like giving your child away.

Too bad the internet can fucking suck. But its good a lot of people are avoiding and protecting from it.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's crazy. Leaking "so and so is making x game" is one thing, but leaking all the plot spoilers and whatnot is just bad.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The spoilers are going to be so fucking hard to avoid. This is the last game I'd want to have spoiled. Fucking hell.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That leaker is the scum of the earth. I feel for ND here. I got spoiled myself yesterday about probably the biggest moment/sequence in the game and honestly, I could cry. I've been anxiously waiting for this game for years, just for some asshole to come in and spoil it all. At least I didn't see any footage, but what I read was enough to destroy my excitement. Go fuck yourself, whoever it is and I hope his or her ass gets sued to high heaven.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of mystified as to why some people are actually praising whoever did this. How does spoiling years of your coworkers' hard efforts fix anything? I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I'd spent that much time on a project, poured that much of myself into such a big team effort, only to have it unceremoniously shoved on the internet before it was ready. All it does is distract from any of the real problems at Naughty Dog, and inflict even more damage on morale. Anybody thinking this is some kind of "justice" haven't got the first fucking clue.
I can only assume they are children.

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a huge culture change within the ND organization. Sony needs to ring the reigns in and stop making them operate like super stars. The employee ratings are terrible and if you have one ready to sabatoge on top of the other bad shit going on there to employees, it's time to get rid of culprits and re-write some rules.

Jan 29, 2018
Is there any source and corroboration on the leaker being a disgruntled employee other than the implication in Jason's tweet?

If that's the case the person is hurting his coworkers just as much as his bosses. It must be awful to see something you were excited to finally share with the public after years of work just get splattered all over the internet like this.

And the rumor that it was a QA tester not getting paid - how does that even happen? Unless no one at Naughty Dog is getting paid - which you'd thing we'd have heard about by now - or the QA tester works for a third-party contractor, in which case their beef is probably with that contractor. Either way I wish people would stop saying it's an unpaid Naughty Dog employee unless there's a source somewhere.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's 'showing sympathy' and then there's just bloodlust. You have people hoping whoever leaked this gets sued to oblivion, jailed and probably even worse. But yeah, 'sympathy' lol.
The person who leaked this did it to hurt naughty dog but in the end it will hurt their career more and they will probably be sued and blackballed which they deserve.

Oh I'm sure it will still sell well. Just not as good as it would have before all of this.
The whiny people bitching about it won't affect sales at all.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
This of course is the event that leads Naughty Dog to EXCLUSIVELY make cartoonish platformers.

EMBRACE TRADITION.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of wether you believe that it was justified or not, its clear that something has to change at ND internally, IF this truly is the result of a disgruntled employee. Combined with the crunch stories, it doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture of what's going in inside ND.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So you think all of the angry fans out there upset at the leaks are still going to Shell out $60 day 1? That is quite a bit of optimism you have there.

Their opinions don't meter because they have only a total of 20 minutes of random context-less footage and about a dozen plot bullet points to base their opinions around.

And they are quite aware of it as well, so in the end, yes I expect most of those "angry fans" to get this game day 1.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm mystified as to why some people are actually praising whoever did this. How does spoiling years of your coworkers' hard efforts fix anything? I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I'd spent that much time on a project, poured that much of myself into such a big team effort, only to have it unceremoniously shoved on the internet before it was ready. All it does is distract from any of the real problems at Naughty Dog, and inflict even more damage on morale. Anybody thinking this is some kind of "justice" haven't got the first fucking clue.

Are you saying spoilers will ruin the game? I do think he's unjustified, at this point, but maybe this is his way of protesting poor work conditions. You lack context, and so do I. Your argument is equivalent to workers shouldn't go on strike because it hurts other employees. I'm not arguing either of these things are morally right, but let's not let knee-jerk reactions get the best of us here. There is clearly more to this story.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
perhaps the higher ups will sign more checks next time then

Oct 27, 2017
I'm conflicted. As a person I feel empathy and I feel bad for all the people over at ND that poured their heart and soul making this game, even in not-so-ideal conditions. As a consumer, if this confirms the story bits are real, then I'm not interested in the product. I guess these points of view don't invalidate each other.

As for the person who leaked this, I'm sure there are actual legal ways to deal with them. You know, breach of contract and all that. Wishing for them to be named and thrown to the Internet mob for some "gamer justice"... that's definitely not cool.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will sell as good as it would have before all of this. Leaks are not relevant to the purchasing decision of the mass market.
Nah I think you're wrong on this one. Alot of us feel we're in the endgame and aren't going to spend $60 to find out what we already know. Especially given Ghost of Tsushima comes out a month later and some of us are unemployed.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Continued history of Antagonizing
I'm kind of mystified as to why some people are actually praising whoever did this. How does spoiling years of your coworkers' hard efforts fix anything? I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I'd spent that much time on a project, poured that much of myself into such a big team effort, only to have it unceremoniously shoved on the internet before it was ready. All it does is distract from any of the real problems at Naughty Dog, and inflict even more damage on morale. Anybody thinking this is some kind of "justice" haven't got the first fucking clue.
These people likely fall either under
1. Fanboys of other consoles
2. Idiotic sense of social activism
3. Children

The idea that someone shouldn't be punished for breaking an NDA is fucking laughable. Especially since it comes from what is likely to be a billion+ dollar product from hundreds of people who worked on it for years. Someone on this thread wrote something as stupid as the person who did this is doing something inspiring.

giphy.gif

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying spoilers will ruin the game? I do think he's unjustified, at this point, but maybe this is his way of protesting poor work conditions. You lack context, and so do I. Your argument is equivalent to workers shouldn't go on strike because it hurts other employees. I'm not arguing either of these things are morally right, but let's not let knee-jerk reactions get the best of us here. There is clearly more to this story.
If it was an employee than context is they are out of line for leaking the game and should be sued for it. That's not knee jerk that's the truth.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If it was an employee than context is they are out of line for leaking the game and should be sued for it. That's not knee jerk that's the truth.

Sure, they are out of line and probably should be sued. My point is don't you think this could be a protest to their conditions? We do not know how this employee was treated. We are assuming ND is in the right and the employee is just belligerent for no reason. We have to understand that reason to know the full story.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they are out of line and probably should be sued. My point is don't you think this could be a protest to their conditions? We do not know how this employee was treated. We are assuming ND is in the right and the employee is just belligerent for no reason. We have to understand that reason to know the full story.
It's a terrible way to protest that will result in the person being blackballed from the industry, this is not excusing the working conditions if they are bad but this is the worst possible way to handle it and will only result in negative things happening to them not ND over this.

Better than assuming that a vocal minority that doesn't matter anyway will affect sales when they won't.

Oct 25, 2017
This

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a horrible shame for everyone who put this together, only for it to be spoiled like this after the tens of thousands of man hours that have undoubtedly gone into this.

To those who wish to avoid spoilers, I would highly suggest you vastly reduce the amount of browsing you do online / avoid anywhere where there may be a comment section. People are posting big story beats in the most random places.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing what Naughty Dog posted, I'm somewhat bothered that they do not say 'the leaked information is not true." Instead, "it's disappointing to see the release and sharing of pre-release footage from development." It makes me wonder how much Naughty Dog (and Sony) knows about the leak after the fact or leading up to the leak.

If that's the case for the leaker in question, he/she better have a good lawyer because they are going to wish they were under the jail when Sony is done with them.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the trend of folks reading or watching out of context ending spoilers of something and deciding "wow this game is fucking trash, they ruined it". The same thing happened with FF7.

Because this is the feedback loop people have with the internet. The most abrasive content gets the most eyes on, gets internalized, projected, repeated ad infinitum.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I think you're wrong on this one. Alot of us feel we're in the endgame and aren't going to spend $60 to find out what we already know. Especially given Ghost of Tsushima comes out a month later and some of us are unemployed.

I mean sure if all you want from games are their plot overviews in textual form.
also

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of wether you believe that it was justified or not, its clear that something has to change at ND internally, IF this truly is the result of a disgruntled employee. Combined with the crunch stories, it doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture of what's going in inside ND.

I don't think so. It's unlikely Naughty Dog just happened to have the most disgruntled employee of any game released in the last decade.

It makes more sense that the lockdown facilitated this and you have someone who might've had to resort to an anonymous board post in the past having easier access to materials. The unique factor might be a laxing of security due to lockdown working setups rather than a uniquely frustrated employee.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If this really was a tactic to get back at Naughty Dog for something it seems misguided. Yeah it sucks for ND management and PlayStation as a whole that this happened but it isn't going to have THAT big of an impact on the success of the game. Sucks more for fans, the developers in the trenches at ND... lots of people who didn't do anything wrong getting the shit end of this stick.

May 17, 2018
Someone completely random just sent me (a long with a group of 80 or so people) a message on PSN spoiling it.

Nowhere is safe. This is so fucked.