• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadowbringers' story is my favorite story out of the entire series. Emet Selch has got to be the most fleshed out villain villain in the history of the series. I legitimately kind of felt for the guy. Then he had some lines at the end of the expansion that hit me in the feels.

So people are saying that the DRK questline was her as well??! I remember telling my friend that the story was so damn good. It legitimately made you playing that class feel very special. It was so fleshed out and full of emotion.

I also want to add that this is basically a single player game except for going into dungeons which can also be done in single player with the new AI party system the have in place when you get to Shadowbringers content. The only thing you can't do in single player are the 8 man boss fights, but they are easy.

Aside from that there is some end game stuff, but you can just bypass that and just wait for the next story update if you're not trying to sink time and skip having to pay the monthly fee when you're done.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The story with the ascians and their origin was amazing. The
story of the last day of the ascians existence was sad and kinda made me feel for Emech Selk and what he was trying to do.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to watch this vid but I'm almost at stormblood and don't want to spoil anything shadowbringers yet. However, big congrats!

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Snarky/goofy WoL is best WoL.

q1g0n7g88oa31.png

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to hear what people thought of the villain. Do people consider him better than Zenos? I think they're both good in different ways.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to hear what people thought of the villain. Do people consider him better than Zenos? I think they're both good in different ways.
Way more interesting than Zenos, with actual, and relatable, motivations.
Like I don't mind Zenos as a villain, I like that he wasn't aiming to be a conquerer, but he's also very much like a Dragon Ball character, in that he's just seeking a challenge.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Also for any "I wish it was single-player", I think one of the absolute best narrative moments only occurs due to it being a multiplayer game.

Let expanse contract, eon become instant!

I
did not think they would ever top
walking up to Nidhogg, while people run away, copying that kickass Heavensward trailer, then the entire scene placing you in the ruins of the Steps of Faith, with Dragonsong playing in the background.

But they did. I do not know if they can top ShB's hypest of hype moments, but I want them to try and pull it off.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ardbert man. Some stuff that involved him hit me in the feels too.

I also loved how they made out the Warrior of Light to possibly be an ancient Amaurotian/Ascian. It kind of sets it up for you to be the 14th council member. And how Ardbert could sync with you since he's a shard of the original soul that you originated from. This game is too deep man.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Snarky/goofy WoL is best WoL.
onQoOW2.png

I
walking up to Nidhogg, while people run away, copying that kickass Heavensward trailer, then the entire scene placing you in the ruins of the Steps of Faith, with Dragonsong playing in the background.

But they did. I do not know if they can top ShB's hypest of hype moments, but I want them to try and pull it off.
The whole sequence is legit the hypest moment in Shadowbringer, and the OST makes it even better.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DAMN all this praise for the last two expansions of ffxiv is killing me! I have to find the time to return to this amazing world!

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If someone says it's their first time, I just tell them to turn the music up.
I did the Twinning one time and wrote in chat "man this song is always so good" and someone wrote "I got the music turned off, never heard it".
everyone in the party immediately said "TURN IT ON" and they did and went "WTF this is awesome!?!?"

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Aww that's sweet- good for her! I'm glad she got to see how many people she touched with that amazing story.

...of course though if the music hadn't been so awesome, it really wouldn't have been quite so effective.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I did the Twinning one time and wrote in chat "man this song is always so good" and someone wrote "I got the music turned off, never heard it".
everyone in the party immediately said "TURN IT ON" and they did and went "WTF this is awesome!?!?"
Getting The Twinning on my Expert roulette is always a joy. Especially that boss theme.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Aww that's sweet- good for her! I'm glad she got to see how many people she touched with that amazing story.

...of course though if the music hadn't been so awesome, it really wouldn't have been quite so effective.

During the talk she mentioned she also had authority of how and when certain music played during all cutscenes.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shadowbringer is on my agenda and I'll get to it after my newborn is a tad older...

But everything I hear about it is that it's phenomenal and she deserves all the praise she's getting.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell can you go through your first play through of this game with the music turned off. Some of the most emotional parts of this game comes from when the music just hits at the right spots.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
How in the hell can you go through your first play through of this game with the music turned off. Some of the most emotional parts of this game comes from when the music just hits at the right spots.

Just the thought!

THORDAN! NIDHOGG! SHINRYU! HADES!

All these and more, cutscenes and boss fights...all elevated by the music.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some people turn off music, some people skip cutscenes, some people truly upset me yall are missing so much of the experience

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
"Fate can be cruel but a smile better suits a hero"

Anyone who recognizes this line knows why this is one of the best FFs ever

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe she was able to pull off "We're not so different, you and I..."

That's skill right there.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. She's been low-key one of the best writers on the team from the very beginning of A Realm Reborn and she knocked it out of the park on her first shot in the spotlight. Shadowbringers's main scenario was phenomenal. Hoping she keeps her role as main scenario writer on XIV for years to come.

She rightly gets a lot of praise for how well-written Emet-Selch is, but one other character I don't see her getting as much credit for is Ardbert. His scenes were among my favorites in the story as well. The scene where he tries to save the two soldiers from a Sin-eater was brutal.

Up there with my favourite scenes in the game. It's heart breaking and you really go in with him on wanting it to work and thinking "hey, it's Final Fantasy, he'll get them!". Joe Dempsie also delivers a great performance for Ardbert.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
What a coincidence. Yoko Taro will write the story (and the enemy design too I think) for the next FFXIV 24 man raid. We'll see it very soon.

FFXIV_YoRHa_Dark_Apocalypse.png

Can't wait for this especially as Yoshi-P is basically giving Yoko Taro free reign over everything with it. I want twisted bullet hell bosses and I DEMAND at the end we have the choice to delete our character tog et the true ending.

My favourite thing I saw on reddit was a party where someone said "first time, any advice?" and everyone told them to turn the music up.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad no one at SE listens to era.

Interested to try out DRK now.

I

Yep, that was completely unbelievable. I was thinking the same thing at that moment.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
So glad for her, she and Oda have done great things with XIV.

Her scenarios in particular are among the best in the game and some of the best in recent SE games period.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man that relationship with Ardbert and Seto. Damn the feels!!!!!!

I remember Ardbert's mount, Seto, and how he spoke so fondly of him. Then he went on to speak of how people just spit on him and his crew and how he left being around people because his heart just couldn't take seeing his friend being wrongfully accused of what was happening to the world.

Then his voice started cracking when he wished how Ardbert could know how proud he was of his pendant that his friend gave to him. But since he couldn't talk at the time he could never convey it.

Another great part in that segment of the story was how he confused your soul with Ardbert's since you are basically part of the same being, but fractured.

I can not think of a single entry in the series that has ever gotten my eyes misting so much. It's been an emotional Roller Coaster ever since the series of stories at the end of A Realm Reborn. Heavensward was so good man that I didn't think it could be topped in terms of emotion, but damn was I wrong.

An Ardbert tribute below for those who want to relive one of Final Fantasy's greatest heroes to ever be in the series.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
ShB is also amazing for this callback to one of the best FF chars

E9oEU.jpg

She also includes him in the DRK quests and his papa too.

I love her.

Man that relationship with Ardbert and Seto. Damn the feels!!!!!!
When you ask him to talk to you about Seto and you stay up all night talking and WoL eats the whole basket of sandwiches rofl.

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
He hasn't been since 3.0. People are theorizing that he's working on Naoki Yoshida's division next-gen game (FFXVI or not). He was also the battle system engineer of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy XII
Who are you talking about? The main scenario writers on Heavensward were Oda and Ishikawa.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
ShB cemented the expansion as my GotY, and I did not have particularly high hopes going into it (I was just hoping it was a step up from SB, which was a step down from HW, which was very good but not perfect). The pacing is much better, the music is phenomenal as always, and it has some of the most memorable new and returning characters one could ever want.

Plus I get to be the prettiest Roe Dancer in the alliance!

I can't wait to see where the expansion goes from here. She deserves every single bit of praise she gets.

HELL YEA. I was legit hollering irl at how hype that moment was. I was like BRING IT ON SCRUBS

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): posting open spoilers

I

When Shadowbringers starts playing and Ardbert tells you to take his axe and then speaks through you.

HOLY SHIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Ira

Oct 27, 2017
Kazutoyo Maehiro did Heavensward 3.0. Oda and Ishikawa did 3.X scenarios. He left directly after penning 2.0, 2.X and 3.0
Huh! No shit, I never knew that, thanks. I had tried to pull up the credits for it but I guess those must have been from a later patch actually so I didn't see his name.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I was to start playing XIV now, how long would it take me to reach Shb?

I'd wait. They are reworking how ARR is experienced. It supposed to be ready with one of the story updates for the game. I went through the whole thing just recently... started playing in the last week of July and made it to Shadowbringers at the end of August. I was playing way too much for my own good, but damn the ride was worth it. But I'd wait because while I enjoyed the story closer to the end of A Realm Reborn, getting there was tiring. But damn was it worth it when you make it to Heavensward and the title song kicks in when you make it to the main city. DAMN!!!!!!!!!

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my favorite part of ShB was just the small touches, like allowing the WoL to show how the people they have met along the way have influenced them through dialogue choices.

The DRK quests are well worth it for the story alone, as well. Be warned that it twists some knives, though.

If I was to start playing XIV now, how long would it take me to reach Shb?

If you beelined it and skipped cutscenes, probably leaning more towards over 300 hours. That's going to be skipping a whole lot of things, and I can't recommend doing that.

Take your time and smell the roses.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that was completely unbelievable. I was thinking the same thing at that moment.
HELL YEA. I was legit hollering irl at how hype that moment was. I was like BRING IT ON SCRUBS

When
the seven circles of light appeared (SEVEN FUCKING SEVEN I COUNTED AND KNEW HOLY SHIT), with G'raha Tia being brotastic, and the light pillars erupting, I was climbing the walls in hype. Just remembering it whooooo!

I also sat there in the zone for the Dying Gasp for ages not even moving, just listening to that dope ass Shadowbringers theme.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
When
the seven circles of light appeared (SEVEN FUCKING SEVEN I COUNTED AND KNEW HOLY SHIT), with G'raha Tia being brotastic, and the light pillars erupting, I was climbing the walls in hype. Just remembering it whooooo!

I also sat there in the zone for the Dying Gasp for ages not even moving, just listening to that dope ass Shadowbringers theme.
I had to wait 30 minutes to find an instance and I couldn't handle myself. My mind was blown away and I was getting jittery all the way through

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When

something EXTREMELY dope that i think a lot of people missed is that
if you stay in the dying gasp and queue into the trial without leaving, the music doesn't even stop as it loads in like it usually would. it just keeps playing seamlessly into the trial.

anyone who left that area to do other things before queueing would've missed it

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
something EXTREMELY dope that i think a lot of people missed is that
if you stay in the dying gasp and queue into the trial without leaving, the music doesn't even stop as it loads in like it usually would. it just keeps playing seamlessly into the trial.

anyone who left that area to do other things before queueing would've missed it

Agreed. They did this with the patch 3.3 fight against
Nidhogg. You'd spawn in the Final Steps of Faith, and Dragonsong overrides the normal area music. It plays continuously, straight into the actual fight, and it was so, so well done.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
There's a lot of people in this thread I want to direct to the hundreds of posts the subreddit gets on a regular basis from new players praising ARR and being thankful they ignored others' advice to skip it.