• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Creating a thread glorifying colonialism; threadmaking privileges suspended.
I did not expect this to take it this badly. My intention was not glorify or making an statement of why European were superior. I was just trying to make some perspective. I never said that portugal were better, smarter or better men in any other. Due to historical circumstances, including the fall of Constantinople by the Ottomans, they had better technology. Their armor was better, their pikes slightly longer and their cannons had more range.

Since this was taken so badly, I'm retracting my post.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
This post is ridiculous and shows zero understanding of history. Do you know why the Portuguese had such success in the Indian Ocean against the Ottomans?

Because the Ottoman Empire was a Mediterranean empire and didn't even have a coastline on the Indian Ocean until 1534

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one getting racist vibes from this topic. Like "Native Americans could've won if they were as competent as these Europeans fighting this Muslim empire". Especially since you've failed to give any of the other context surrounding the situations, like how the Portuguese won those battles in the first place.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Smallpox killed millions in these regions. It devastated the entire society. This makes the question you're posing basically unanswerable because that factor is impossible to control for.

For what it's worth, the argument you're making could be applied more or less equally to the settler experience with the so-called Plains Indians, which took over a century of protracted and bloody conflict to subdue despite a serious disadvantage in technology and manpower.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
This is some Jared Diamond guns germs and steel poppycock history.

Man before the college level we really teach history like absolute dogshit. And pop history really doesn't help.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
This post is ridiculous and shows zero understanding of history. Do you know why the Portuguese had such success in the Indian Ocean against the Ottomans?

Because the Ottoman Empire was a Mediterranean empire and didn't even have a coastline on the Indian Ocean until 1534
I mentioned the Indian Ocean kingdoms mostly in my post. Cutting our the Ottomans from trade in the Indian ocean (directly or indirectly through muslim kingdoms) there was one of their main motivations. And the Portuguese did attack deeper into the middle east from their positions in the Indian ocean.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean...

I think it had more to do with the guerilla attacks caused by the Spanish and Portuguese navys, where they'd basically crash up on the shore, ask for help, and then slaughter towns and villages when they were given aid. That, paired with the slave trade's absolute lust to abduct entire settlements for quick cash are the ACTUAL reasons why the Native Americans all along the southern coast line never stood a chance. They were never at war, it was just a constant pillage.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one getting racist vibes from this topic. Like "Native Americans could've won if they were as competent as these Europeans fighting this Muslim empire". Especially since you've failed to give any of the other context surrounding the situations, like how the Portuguese won those battles in the first place.
How so? The Iberians were in a different stage of development than the other nations. Why is that racist?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This is some Jared Diamond guns germs and steel poppycock history.

Man before the college level we really teach history like absolute dogshit. And pop history really doesn't help.

To be fair, most of the history of the southern natives have been almost completely erased, so...it's hard to teach.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This post reads like something I read on ERA this weekend:

www.resetera.com

Even NBA benchwarmers are ungodly basketball players

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/03/24/brian-scalabrine-pickup-basketball-high-schooler-video Sports fans already know is, but it's always interesting seeing this is action. NBA and WNBA are always getting challenged for 1:1s as well. People are delusional lol...

Just sub out "Portugal" for "NBA benchwarmers" and "indigenous peoples conquerors" for "Basketball players"...

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

Getting that vibe too, you're not alone.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Smallpox killed millions in these regions. It devastated the entire society. This makes the question you're posing basically unanswerable because that factor is impossible to control for.

For what it's worth, the argument you're making could be applied more or less equally to the settler experience with the so-called Plains Indians, which took over a century of protracted and bloody conflict to subdue despite a serious disadvantage in technology and manpower.
Like estimates think something like 90% of the population - that's worse than the Black Death. OP's bragging about the Portugese defeating a people who were devasted and brought to their knees by a plague that those very people brought with them. This is just a gross thread.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
This is so egregiously wrong and filled with colonialist misinformation it has to be a troll post.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Because your comparisons seem incredibly superficial, and seem to exist to glorify the accomplishments of a group of white people at the expense of native Americans?
I'm not glorifying anything. My aim was to put into perspective the treat that the native american were facing by explaining how a comparable power did against more advanced cultures.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that at a least in Mexico the Tlaxcalteca and other surrounding Aztec enemies really did the hard work. And smallpox.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Love to make threads about how mighty and strong the European colonizers were

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned the Indian Ocean kingdoms mostly in my post. Cutting our the Ottomans from trade in the Indian ocean (directly or indirectly through muslim kingdoms) there was one of their main motivations. And the Portuguese did attack deeper into the middle east from their positions in the Indian ocean.

You should also have the decency to add more context to your post then and actually explain why the Portuguese got away with what they did instead of some glorifying bullshit to pat Portugal on the back. And that's BEFORE I touch on your ridiculous claims on the New World empires because oh buddy do I have paragraphs on paragraphs for you.

For the unaware Era posters, the Portuguese had the luxury of sitting at the ass end of the Silk Road meaning they were upcharged out the ass on trade, while also being far removed from major military conflicts. This allowed them to spend the better part of a century on naval advancements so as to circumvent Muslim trade routes across the Sahara.

This led to Portuguese voyages first into West Africa and then later to India once they realized they had the capability of it. Once in the Indian Ocean they found that they had by far the only real means to engage in naval warfare, with almost all ocean-going vessels meant for transportation or for crossing the distance into melee combat(akin to Roman galley combat in the Mediterranean).

So the Portuguese used this opportunity to set up a giant racketeering operation. You either pay your 'protection' money, or your ships get sunk. The Portuguese did this throughout the Indian Ocean and quickly started making beaucoup bucks by acting like glorified pirates. Portuguese became loathed as nuisances or parasites throughout the region for that reason.

Portugal also took advantage of this to seize coastal cities that were naturally fortified towards land(that's where all the enemies historically came from), but not for the seas. So it became a very straightforward operation for Portugal to seize lands such as these because toppling cities without defences aimed at their specialty(the seas) was trivial, especially to then reinforce existing fortifications towards land-based attacks.

So go on OP. Tell us more about how the magical Iberians were ubersmench

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The real reason the Americas got conquered the way they were was because of the diseases the Europeans brought with them causing a fucking apocalypse.

The vast majority of the population of the americas was dead by the time colonization was underway. So many native Americans died from diseases, it caused a fucking Little Ice Age.

The loss of the population was so high that it was partially responsible for the myth of the Americas as "virgin wilderness." By the time significant European colonization was underway, native populations had already been reduced by 90%. This resulted in settlements vanishing and cultivated fields being abandoned. Since forests were recovering, the colonists had an impression of a land that was an untamed wilderness.[SUP][44][/SUP]

90 percent.

Ninety

Percent

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how North American and in general all of the native populations in the Americas are misrepresented. The western cultures had invaded these ancient civilizations during a down peak in their culture. Face them at their full strength at the time Europe was in the dark ages? The Europeans wouldn't stand a chance.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should also have the decency to add more context to your post then and actually explain why the Portuguese got away with what they did instead of some glorifying bullshit to pat Portugal on the back. And that's BEFORE I touch on your ridiculous claims on the New World empires because oh buddy do I have paragraphs on paragraphs for you.

For the unaware Era posters, the Portuguese had the luxury of sitting at the ass end of the Silk Road meaning they were upcharged out the ass on trade, while also being far removed from major military conflicts. This allowed them to spend the better part of a century on naval advancements so as to circumvent Muslim trade routes across the Sahara.

This led to Portuguese voyages first into West Africa and then later to India once they realized they had the capability of it. Once in the Indian Ocean they found that they had by far the only real means to engage in naval warfare, with almost all ocean-going vessels meant for transportation or for crossing the distance into melee combat(akin to Roman galley combat in the Mediterranean).

So the Portuguese used this opportunity to set up a giant racketeering operation. You either pay your 'protection' money, or your ships get sunk. The Portuguese did this throughout the Indian Ocean and quickly started making beaucoup bucks by acting like glorified pirates. Portuguese became loathed as nuisances or parasites throughout the region for that reason.

Portugal also took advantage of this to seize coastal cities that were naturally fortified towards land(that's where all the enemies historically came from), but not for the seas. So it became a very straightforward operation for Portugal to seize lands such as these because toppling cities without defences aimed at their specialty(the seas) was trivial, especially to then reinforce existing fortifications towards land-based attacks.

Yeah, even looking at the wikipedia stats they showed I had a feeling it was a result of the portuguese being better equipped for Navel warfare (note literally all their forces are recorded as ships) which means a bunch of the tech advantages the OP was going on about were literally irrelevant since they were only useful in a land battle

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Well, there is still the germs issue, but at least the Aztecs and Incans could have won the first battles and buy some time if they had some horses and cannons of their own, right?

Even apart from the racist thrust of this thread, this sentence alone is making my brain hurt so much that OP owes me a painkiller.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not even sure what you are trying to do with this thread but you really should have thought more before making this topic.

Oct 28, 2017
California
If the Conquistadors wouldn't have taken out the Aztecs, enslaved them, raped them, and killed off 90% of them from disease theyhad no immunity to then those plucky underdog Portuguese sure would have! Thanks for such insightful knowledge OP!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

On top of this, when it came time to actually break land on the America's, the Portuguese military often bumbled through inclimate terrain in hopes of establishing contact with natives without any sort of navigate or fall back plan. The result were expeditions into overgrown Florida, Louisiana, Texas, where teams of 40-50 would go in, and 2 would return. As I stated before, the lion's share of routing the Portuguese managed to do was usually due to the peaceful intervention of natives, their kindness returned with bloodshed and slavery.

There's a running gag in world history, at least world history to about 500 AD that goes, "You should just leave those white people alone, they'll fuck themselves up if you let them".

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
OP really didn't stood a chance againts internets - or the underrated ERA might.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is being locked because it's in crazy poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.