• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean National Review was founded by a bigot (William Buckley) who, was revealed by Gore Vidal... before some people get all upset, yes, Vidal called him a crypto Nazi, but then Buckley said "Now listen you queer stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in you goddamn face and you'll stay plastered."

Gore Vidal was bisexual, did not identify as gay but had a same sex partner for 50 some years, and it wasn't a secret.

dudefriend

Banned
Apr 27, 2019
the national review became an irrelevant laughing stock the minute trump swept aside the entire republican primary field and the paleocons became de-anathemized, this is them grasping at relevance by trying to pander to that set

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the utter indecency

those penguins should just worship penguin waifus instead, like a normal penguin!
67c.jpg_large

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I think quite a few of us remember when The Simpsons started when we were kids and there was an outrage because Bart was a hellion and it was a cartoon where characters regularly swore and one even said "genitalia". The outrage lasted a few years until they found their next target.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
User warned: derogatory meme
That's a lot of words, Declan Leary. Would have been faster for you to say, "REEEE I'm a screeching snowflake REEEEE."

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off
>The national review

Secondly:
The fact that parents would not typically object to the presentation of a heterosexual marriage is itself vindication that it is appropriate material for public children's television. The obverse is also true: That a majority of Alabamans and a significant minority of Americans do object to homosexual marriage

IE; A majority of Americans do not object to homosexual marriage, is what this part is saying.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
They're talking as if Elwood City takes place in Alabama when it's more likely to take place in the Midwest. Of course, trying to resort to realism in a world with talking animals is a moot point in itself.

Oct 25, 2017
The thought that children may get the idea that it's OK for two people to love each other openly and get married......SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I frequently wonder why Steven Universe didn't seem to provoke a ton of outcry from the "family values" bigots. It was SO progressive.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna complain about this episode of Arthur it should be about how Mr.Ratburn invited people to his wedding without telling them who he was marrying. Seriously, the kids didn't know who it was until they were literally walking down the aisle.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I frequently wonder why Steven Universe didn't seem to provoke a ton of outcry from the "family values" bigots. It was SO progressive.

Arthur is getting attention probably because a lot of these bigots remember it airing when they were younger, "the good ole days". Arthur having this is something they remember being turned into , "MUH LIBRAL AGENDA".

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Also, PBS get's 14% of its funding from federal taxes or somewhere around $281 million, the rest of the Corporation For Public Broadcasting goes elsewhere. In comparison, about $100 Billion in federal finding went to medical research.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I wish I could see the way that kids react to something like this, without their parents skewing their view one way or another. Do they notice it at all? Do they think of it the same as every other wedding? Do they notice that it's same gender and then just accept that as a normal thing and move on? Does it stand out to them as abnormal?

I have no idea how this could be accurately measured, but I'd love to see a dive into how kids think about stuff like this.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Arthur is getting attention probably because a lot of these bigots remember it airing when they were younger, "the good ole days". Arthur having this is something they remember being turned into , "MUH LIBRAL AGENDA".
Right the same people would be pissed if they removed the racist garbage in Tom And Jerry cartoons or Popeye

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now replace this with interracial marriage and see how evil, malicious and vile this is for those of you still on the no gays marry wagon.

Then again, you probably agree with that same statement.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now replace this with interracial marriage and see how evil, malicious and vile this is for those of you still on the no gays marry wagon.

Then again, you probably agree with that same statement.

is the actually color of their skin different or just their fur color? this is an important distinction to know whether their union should be despised or not

its like my pappy used to say

"her skin better be your twin, if its just different fur then you can be with her"

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
But would these same critics object to a heterosexual marriage being depicted in the same medium? Obviously not. Arthur's parents (heterosexual and married) appear in every single episode. No parents have ever complained that the presentation of this sexual union is putting ideas in their children's heads. This is a clear double standard. Why should we forgive it? The answer is: Because it exists

Preserving an arbitrary, illogical, and damaging hierarchy not for any moral reason, but simply because disagreement exists and therefore must be defended.

It would be almost impressive in its inhumane, abstract conservativism if it wasn't horseshit. This is nothing but an effort to make an acceptable space for bigotry to continue unchallenged.

Oct 27, 2017
The National Review was created as the less fringy right-wing thought leader. They were anti-Jewish conspiracy, but pro Jim Crow.

Now they're out of the mainstream thought with Conservative voters, because the voters don't want country club economics, they just wanna engage in culture wars. In fact, they don't much mind hand-outs, for people that look like them.

Same as it ever was.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
National Review feels that Alabama is our litmus test for what we should watch..

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
It's National Review. Over the years, they've had a few good writers (as well as lots of bad ones), but they've never been "with it" or anything more than moderately conservative on social issues. Think old time country club Republican and that's what you can expect from them. It would be news if they published an opinion piece supporting the Arthur episode, but this is just business as usual.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
does anybody else think kids are just too stupid to comprehend two adults of the same sex getting married?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right wing nuts: The left get triggered by everything!!!!
A gay character in a kids show appears
Right wing nuts: OH MY GOD, WHY YOU DISTORTING REALITY????

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the author personally, and when I saw yall were talking about it I had to dig this old picture up. He was always a douche and tried to poke and prod kids to get into arguments with. Also last year he got semi famous because he wrote a very homophobic article about a drag show that went on at his school because it went against his "Catholic principles".

https://www.thecollegefix.com/stude...-meeting-after-he-criticized-lgbtq-drag-show/

yeesh

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I guess? I really dont follow the site at all and this article will make sure I never will.
You rushed here to post an article from a site you know nothing about? And then say that you will never visit the site again? Why do this? Why not ignore it instead of subjecting us to it? I don't understand people who stumble across something negative (and stupid) and then won't rest until everyone else has to know about it.

National Review is a pretty well-known magazine that pride themselves on being the "intellectual" side of conservatism. But if you read their articles (or comment section if you dare) you'll see that it's no different from every other right wing site.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
You rushed here to post an article from a site you know nothing about? And then say that you will never visit the site again? Why do this? Why not ignore it instead of subjecting us to it? I don't understand people who stumble across something negative (and stupid) and then won't rest until everyone else has to know about it.

National Review is a pretty well-known magazine that pride themselves on being the "intellectual" side of conservatism. But if you read their articles (or comment section if you dare) you'll see that it's no different from every other right wing site.
I am not going ignore this shit some of you really dont get it do you?You can ignore it all you want hell ignore me I dont care but I am not going to do it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I mean, gay people exist and get married. That's been a nationwide thing since 2015, even in Alabama.

You don't have to like it or approve of it, but then you're just an asshole.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Teaching children that gay people exist, get married, and should be treated like every other human being on the planet is somehow bad.

I'd love to see Sesame Street have an episode about gay and lesbian couples.

EDIT: Oh, it's some conservative think piece site? I should've known better.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I know the author personally, and when I saw yall were talking about it I had to dig this old picture up. He was always a douche and tried to poke and prod kids to get into arguments with. Also last year he got semi famous because he wrote a very homophobic article about a drag show that went on at his school because it went against his "Catholic principles".

https://www.thecollegefix.com/stude...-meeting-after-he-criticized-lgbtq-drag-show/

Not surprising at all.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I am not going ignore this shit some of you really dont get it do you?You can ignore it all you want hell ignore me I dont care but I am not going to do it.
Well I mean, you should. Reading National Review articles is not going to enrich your life, my life, or the lives of anyone here. There is nothing to learn, nothing to gain. No one, and I mean no one, is better off knowing what some 20-something year old thinks about a gay rat wedding from a cartoon aimed at children. Spend your time doing literally anything else except poisoning your brain with this garbage.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
1. CPB only funds about 15% of PBS. Most of the money is used to subsidize local broadcast stations, i.e. Alabama receiving government subsidies to even have a broadcast tower.

2. Arthur is a production of WGBH Boston. I'm pretty sure most of Massachusetts is ok with gay marriage. That is who funds Arthur.

3. The US government provides larger subsidies to private sector companies than they provide to public broadcasting. If we're going to merit test where we give government dollars maybe lets start with the multi-billion dollar freeloaders allowed to use government lands and resources while taking government tax breaks and R&D subsidies (for tech they'll exclusively own) over a few bucks going to a station that might air a kids show including a fictional gay rat getting married.