• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
WC: 38237

Wow that's really awesome. Thank you for offering this to us! I got a character description for you if you don't mind.

A woman in her early thirties, long white hair slicked down by rain, red eyes, and a simple white dress with a belt in a more medieval fashion stained brown with mud. She also has heavy boots on.

Keep up the wording generations, NaNoers \o/

I'll do what I can to cheer you all on \o/

Last edited:

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Here is sketchy~
YwhnKYu.jpg

And a close up.... sorry me at work and didn't have a lot of arting tools at hand, so the eyes were done with the reddest pen I could find and it doesn't really show well > __ < but they are red!

LtfrJ1j.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous!

Feb 12, 2018
PA
Here is sketchy~
YwhnKYu.jpg

And a close up.... sorry me at work and didn't have a lot of arting tools at hand, so the eyes were done with the reddest pen I could find and it doesn't really show well > __ < but they are red!

LtfrJ1j.jpg

I love this! I'm a sucker for character art, so, if you're still offering:

Halley Edmonds is a Victorian woman in her early twenties. She's just barely five feet tall and petite. She has crazy, curly blonde hair that she can sometimes tame with a lot of hair product and patience, but generally she just lets it do its own thing. She wears round spectacles over big, brown eyes, and her nose is small and turns up. She is pretty shy and anxious, but she always comes through when it counts. She's an astronomer in a Lovecraftian steampunk setting, so feel free to have fun with her outfit ^.^

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 40253

40K! It's the final stretch now! Less than a week left until I finish. Not sure how I feel about the plot of this year's NaNo. I'll need to read through what I have when I hit 50K before proceeding. I usually find that writing fantasy is harder for me than science fiction though I love writing both, so I went for a more science fantasy story this time around. I think I like it?

Here is sketchy~
YwhnKYu.jpg

LtfrJ1j.jpg

Oh wow this is fantastic! Thank you so much! This is definitely a motivator for me. Really awesome job.

Edit: Also want to add that seeing art of one of my character's like this means a lot to me, so thanks again.

Last edited:

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 41723

Would've liked to do more, but too tired to write more now.

Oh, hey, I won the previous giftbot giveaway. Thanks, zulux21.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WC: 50240

I've completed NaNo for the first time! I'm proud of myself even if my story probably sucks. There's still a good six or seven chapters after the one I'm working on, so it's not finished yet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I've completed NaNo for the first time! I'm proud of myself even if my story probably sucks. There's still a good six or seven chapters after the one I'm working on, so it's not finished yet.
First drafts always suck. it's what you do after you finish that can make them great.

also always feel free to join the CWCs :P

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Here is sketchy~
YwhnKYu.jpg

LtfrJ1j.jpg

Omg this looks so good!!!!

Honestly, plot-related stuff or what I think is counts as it, like my character's backgrounds and hobbies. I'm doing a lot of telling instead of showing, but that's what you get when you decide at the very last second to participate this year.

Hey nano is meant for the roughest of rough drafts. Telling can become showing after. Point is youve got stuff to work with later!

In regards to the works that inspired what I'm writing, which aren't books so much as games with dialogue and worldbuilding so extensive that they may as well be, I had first thought to emulate what the most recent arc among them did in respect to cast size without realizing that they didn't really make such thinly spread focus pan out either (as much as I still liked those games and said cast). Going back to a preceding arc in the same series, which took place roughly concurrently with the first two games of that later arc but in a different part of the continent, its main cast started out much smaller and it benefited greatly from it, so I figured they were onto something.

That was very informative! Thanks for sharing!

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations! Keep it up the good work. Hopefully we'll see you start a streak with next year's NaNo!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 35517
Here is sketchy~
YwhnKYu.jpg

LtfrJ1j.jpg

Very nice work.

Congrats.
That was very informative! Thanks for sharing!
No problem. I just hope now to make something at least passable that can stand on its own, even if it doesn't end up being quite as ambitious.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 68454

Finally ended act two, three chapters later than expected. Only, er, two more acts to go? Shit.

I'll be done this time next month. Probably. Not sure I'll hit my personal goal of beating my 2016 total (91,000 words) due to an all night charity camp out thing I'm doing next Friday night into THE LAST DAY, but I'm still going to try. Current pace would put me at 93,000 plus come midnight on the 30th.

Keep going while you're up to speed. I finish a new draft before I revisit an old one for tweaking / polishing / fixing all my dumb errors etc, it seems good to put some distance between me and the project so I get less precious about things and it all steeps for a time. For now, congrats on the official win, and good luck wrapping things up in the next week or two.

You've. Got. This.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
WC: 44062

The end is in sight. I need to finish my current chapter and then write three more. I'll be going over the word count goal to finish. I'll probably end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 55,000 given how these last chapters need to play out.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 42574

Things are heating up now. Almost at 50K! I have some assignments to do over the weekend so there's a lot of typing to come. My new keyboard has been a godsend at saving my hands this year. Certainly a worthwhile investment.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
WC: 43700

I need to start writing earlier in the day. I cranked out those last 1500 words in the last two hours.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
WC: 35,733

I think I'm just gonna stretch this third story until I hit the 50k mark. I've been rubbish at following the word counts I set for this Nano anyway, no need to start now lol

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
WC: 41009

I'm actually super excited that after a couple of back-to-back action scenes, I'm this close to having all my main cast on the same page, metaphorically speaking. I mean, they as a group just escaped getting run off the road by the story's Tong stand-in.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
WC: 71574

Started Act three about three days later than I expected to. Act two grew and grew and hopefully act three won't. It's such a fresh of breath air too. My main character has spent two acts trying to figure out who she really is. She just found out at the end of act two, and now we jump back in time to experience her previous life, starting while she's still in the womb. I've had to swap out my playlist completely (I'll go back to my other play list once I move on to the final act) and do a ton of research in order to figure this all out, but I've leaned really hard into my own experiences as an immigrant, and my own feelings seeing the nation I grew up, than I moved away from move further and further in what I believe to be the wrong direction.

Using so much truth close to my own, has let me take some characters from cultures very much not my own. They're from what was South Yemen, and they're leaving after reunification because they're more Westernly inclined and fear the country is moving in the wrong direction. Since this is 1991 at this point, they aren't wrong. It's made the words a little slower to type out, but it's been an enlightening and enjoyable thing to research the middle east around that time to find the right set of parents from the right political climate that would be leaving to raise their child here in the United States.

And I'm sure Timu is going to drop a word count on my head out of nowhere. Keeping up with Timu has been incredibly motivating. It's hard to believe I've bridged that gap. So I don't buy it yet.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
WC 45076

A slow night tonight. Today was a rough day for unrelated reasons and my head's just not in it tonight. I think these last 5000 words are gonna be a tough grind.

OP
OP
FlowersisBritish
Oct 25, 2017
Quick heads up people should be hitting 40k by the end of this weeked (Holy crap that's a lot of words!) And then we'll be entering the last week where people should start to try and get to 50k if you're falling a bit behind (like me) never worry because all it takes sometimes is one good day and you'll be right there at the finish line. Best of luck everybody!

giphy.gif

Also normally we'd have our last writing hangout tomorrow but really sorry to say I'm just way too swamped with work atm to do it. If there's interst in it Nezumi can host one but if not than I'm sure she'd rather rest up.