• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 14, 2018
I never really said it's persona that needs the switch it's the PlayStation that needs persona in Japan which is why it makes sense to me as to why they would want it to be a ps5 exclusive. Feels like you may have misunderstood me.
I must have cause I don't think PS makes any decision based on potential sales in japan's market. With the way their software has been not-selling idk why they'd bother considering that market, there's nothing there for them. Like I said if they're ever interested they might as well make themselves a third party publisher and release appealing games on platforms people there actually own.

If the market doesn't want Playstation that's PS's problem, not the market's.

I think the "Japan only cares about handhelds/mobile" stuff is brought up too often and is rather diversionary.
It's not like PS hasn't done well in Japan before after all, plus the Switch Lite is the worst selling Switch variant too, and by a long shot.
Diversionary of what? It's brought up often because it's true, I really don't know where you're going with this.

So, in Japan home consoles are actually popular but only in people's imagination? How's that work?

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one should be shocked at P6 being Sony exclusive
I think the surprise is more the idea of it being new-gen only and not on PS4.
I think the "Japan only cares about handhelds/mobile" stuff is brought up too often and is rather diversionary.
It's not like PS hasn't done well in Japan before after all, plus the Switch Lite is the worst selling variant of all too.

Not that I think home consoles are dead no matter what in Japan but I always find it weird when it's the Switch Lite that's brought up to disprove that. The handheld-only model selling worse doesn't really prove anything cause there's not much reason to buy it over the regular Switch if you can afford that cause even if you prefer playing portably, the option of playing on the TV too is nice.

Mar 23, 2018
Atlus are releasing one main game every other decade now. Of course they're going to try to milk this one out too by making it exclusive at launch. They're learning from Bethesda, Rockstar and other companies who can live thanks to a hit game being released over and over, even if not at the same scale as the former cases. Hell, Capcom was the OG pretty much.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
I mean, if that were true, it'd be all three games if it was anything as basic as 3D All-Stars. It very likely is on the same level as Xenoblade DE at a minimum.

They released Zelda Skyward sword with a few improvements and that was it, they didn't packed it in a collection like Mario and they sold it for 60e for one game So I don't trust Nintendo to do the right thing. But I do trust them to do exactly the opposite of what people want.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Right so to compete the PS5 would have to 1. Be portable 2. Have different software. In other words it'd have to change everything it is to appeal to a smaller slice of the market than it's current plans appeal to. The PS5 would have to be a phone (or a switch) and have phone (or switch) games lol.

The market in japan moved away from PS, there's nothing they can do now and there's no point chasing it. They could always develop some freemium gacha phone games if they want back in.
To reach 25 million + yes it probably would problem need some sort of portability, but there's a huge gap between that and what it's doing now. What Sony needs is either their first party or third party studios to build software with broad appeal in Japan (like Ubisoft, EA and Activision Blizzard do in the West.)

So there is something they can do, but I agree that's it's probably too much effort. They can't magically make their third party partners suddenly better at appealing to Japan, and their first party studios are already successful at what they do.
No, portability is absolutely crucial in Japan. It's not the same as North America or Europe when it comes to commuting culture at all, as well as commuting time spent. Software library doesn't help, but native portability is a huge driver of the market shift. It turns into a self-reinforcing issue.

Splatoon sold a million on the Wii U. Ring Fit has sold over 3 million. You don't need to be playable on a commute to succeed in Japan. Portability didn't prevent the Vita doing way worse than PS3 or PS4.

It would be like claiming that the reason the 3DS did poorly in Europe was this it wasn't a home console. Software is far far more important than form factor.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only thing I'm going to hate about the Prime Remaster is the changed helmetless Samus design.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the surprise is more the idea of it being new-gen only and not on PS4.

Not that I think home consoles are dead no matter what in Japan but I always find it weird when it's the Switch Lite that's brought up to disprove that. The handheld-only model selling worse doesn't really prove anything cause there's not much reason to buy it over the regular Switch if you can afford that cause even if you prefer playing portably, the option of playing on the TV too is nice.

You can't dismiss the Lite being the least popular version given that according to the theory home consoles don't sell - it is because no one desires to game at home / non portably - so then why are the majority of people in Japan paying an extra 30-50% for the privilege of doing just that? It's a perfectly reasonable point

Also, not to state the obvious - but the last time there was a Playstation home console + Playstation portable console on the market - the home console very handily outsold the portable one............

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Atlus will ever wise up to the money being left on the table by going with single platform releases?

I want P6 to be a next gen game, but why not launch on PC and Xbox as well? Then port to Switch/2 which would need more work (DQ11 style). Could be that Sony have incentivized, but damn they could have squeezed a lot more sales out of P4 if it hit PS4, Switch etc instead on languishing on a dead platform for almost a decade. I just don't get it!

Jan 29, 2018
I think the only thing I'm going to hate about the Prime Remaster is the changed helmetless Samus design.

God damn if they put Barbie/anime Samus in Prime 1 I'll be so bummed.

Nate has said in the past it's not a remaster/upres but it is a remaster with new textures everywhere and big improvements graphically.

So basically replaced assets but the same code running underneath. I could live with that, even though Prime 2 is really the one I'd like to replay most right now.

They released Zelda Skyward sword with a few improvements and that was it, they didn't packed it in a collection like Mario and they sold it for 60e for one game So I don't trust Nintendo to do the right thing. But I do trust them to do exactly the opposite of what people want.
All it points to is that Nintendo doesn't have a hard rule for re-releases, not that they're guaranteed to take the path of least resistance. Skyward Sword may not have had a massive rework to it beyond the addition of pad controls, but that's consistent with the previous HD remasters for Zelda because a remaster is not really going to ever have the opportunity to do more drastic game design work. 3D All-Stars is honestly an outlier here in terms of a lack of improvements.

If what you said was at all true, we wouldn't even have Xenoblade DE or OoT 3D.

Sep 14, 2018
So there is something they can do, but I agree that's it's probably too much effort. They can't magically make their third party partners suddenly better at appealing to Japan, and their first party studios are already successful at what they do.
Well there's what they're doing now locking down Persona and FF, a halfway measure that I'm sure doesn't even have anything to do with the JP market anyway.
I wonder if Atlus will ever wise up to the money being left on the table by going with single platform releases?
As long as Sony is paying for it, there's no money being left on the table. Well not Atlus' table at least. To this day we still don't really know if there was an exclusivity deal with Persona before 5. I assume there is one now but no one knows either.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Persona 6 is a Playstation exclusive and not multiplatform, I'll be glad. Don't need the Switch holding it back.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
As long as Sony is paying for it, there's no money being left on the table. Well not Atlus' table at least. To this day we still don't really know if there was an exclusivity deal with Persona before 5. I assume there is one now but no one knows either.

This doesn't make sense when looking at Persona 4 though. Why didn't they release a native PS4 version back in the day?

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

If SMT being only on Nintendo consoles and Persona being only on PS consoles is a thing they were pi's for by those companies, they would be stupid to stop that business model. They probably make more money of the funding/money hats and save on marketing than going multi platform.
We are talking about SMT a very niche series, and Persona, now recently not that niche of a series, not Call of Duty your FIFA, they won't be selling 5 million per platform or something like that.

This doesn't make sense when looking at Persona 4 though. Why didn't they release a native PS4 version back in the day?
You mean PS3? Atlus is notoriously slow at adopting console platforms with their own internal development teams. They didn't even release an HD game until Catherine until 2011, which was then followed by their second HD game in Tokyo Mirage Sessions four years later. They are arguably the most lethargic company out there in terms of hardware adoption.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I thought the PS5 was just doing meh in Japan. Does this mean that Atlus is making the west a priority?

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about Nintendo here so it's going to be the most basic for the priciest price. I think it's going to be just like the Mario 3d all star collection.
I highly doubt that due to it both being a single game, and they've already released the trilogy meaning they'll have to justify it just being Prime 1 at least somewhat, and this has been rumored for a while and every time it's usually said that there's at least some work put into it, sometimes being referred to as a remake. Also it's not like 3D All-stars is the ONLY Nintendo remaster, Xenoblade DE, WWHD, and TP HD were all also Nintendo and are considered to be good to excellent remasters, but gamers tend to have the memory of a goldfish and act like 3D All Stars and SSHD are the only remasters they've ever done.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can't dismiss the Lite being the least popular version given that according to the theory home consoles don't sell - it is because no one desires to game at home / non portably - so then why are the majority of people in Japan paying an extra 30-50% for the privilege of doing just that? It's a perfectly reasonable point

Also, not to state the obvious - but the last time there was a Playstation home console + Playstation portable console on the market - the home console very handily outsold the portable one............
I mean like I said I don't think Japanese players fundamentally don't want to play at home but I'm just saying that even when assuming a preference for playing portably, it's hard to buy that the portable-only model selling less than the hybrid model is THE factor that points to home consoles having the potential to sell a lot. The option of playing on a TV is just worth the added cost even if you prefer playing portably (as someone who plays docked 99% of the time I'd probably buy a traditional Switch over a TV-only Switch too just for the option). Paying $100 more to use a device multiple ways is a completely different consideration than paying $500 to use a device only in the way that is unideal to you. And it's not like there's a TV-only Switch outselling the Lite.

Also Vita has its own obvious issues. Did the PS3 outsell the PSP in Japan too?

Last edited:

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Persona exclusivity shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point

We're talking a series that had it's one of it's MCS release as the first advertised DLC character for the biggest fighting game in the world on Switch, only to subsequently have a Musuo and Figting game spinoff from the same franchise ported to the Switch and nothing else lol

I don't blame consumers at all for falling for the ruse back then, but at this point it's clear Playstation has some of exclusivity deal regarding Persona
If by some means Persona 6 defies all odds and releases on other platforms then great, but otherwise it's probably prudent to temper expectations in the meantime

I don't really care about Persona anymore unless I can date guys, I'm happy with SMT even if it runs bad on the Switch

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
You mean PS3? Atlus is notoriously slow at adopting console platforms with their own internal development teams. They didn't even release an HD game until Catherine until 2011, which was then followed by their second HD game in Tokyo Mirage Sessions four years later. They are arguably the most lethargic company out there in terms of hardware adoption.

Both PS3 and PS4 I guess lol. Millions of missed sales for Persona 4 Golden within the Playstation eco-system alone. They are one of the last hold overs of the old way of doing things.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like PS hasn't done well in Japan before after all, plus the Switch Lite is the worst selling Switch variant too, and by a long shot.

Yes, they do not only care about handelds, and the same way the handheld factor is crucial and not something to downplay as a side effect of the console. (which i find weird to this day, as if mentioning the hybrid factor is somehow donwplaying Nintendo's success - no it's not, they made a fantastic hardware)

the fact that you have a hybrid console, so that you can choose to play at home while also taking your console outside is huge ! you have a choice - so of course it's more attractive to a home console that you can only use at home.

That Switch Lite comparison would make sense if there was another version of a switch, that you can only use as home console. Other than that, a hybrid variant is obviously more attractive

Splatoon sold a million on the Wii U. Ring Fit has sold over 3 million. You don't need to be playable on a commute to succeed in Japan. Portability didn't prevent the Vita doing way worse than PS3 or PS4.

It would be like claiming that the reason the 3DS did poorly in Europe was this it wasn't a home console. Software is far far more important than form factor.

and how did those games help the wii U ?
like i said - you need the right hardaware and the right software.
What Nintendo lacked with the Wii U (Hardware not Software) is now gone with the Switch (the perfect symbiose of great hardware and software).
And that is something that Sony can not cover just with software

Det

Jul 30, 2020

One of the most popular new IP's from Nintendo released 7 years ago (that could be bought bundled) and a hybrid work-out/adventure game, with massively spiked sales due to the pandemic. I'm not saying portability is the only factor - of course you need the appropriate software - but it is a huge factor in the commuting culture of urban Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya metro. You are severely downplaying the importance of portability, as if the PS5 had the same library it would sell as many units as the Switch. Add onto it the home living situation in most average Japanese homes/apartments. I have friends and family there, across Tokyo, Osaka and other cities - they all say the same thing.

And the Vita did significantly better in Japan relative to the rest of the world. It released a few months after the 3DS was out, which then removes the portability factor and is purely about software support/popularity.

Edit: Splatoon selling well on the Wii U doesn't particularly help your point given its failure.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
User banned (1 day): Hostility
Persona 6 being PlayStation exclusive at all will likely make it DoA. If that's true, I hope Sony is paying double development costs, preferably triple.

Persona 5 was Playstation exclusive and its the best selling game Atlus has ever released.

Dunno. I get the impression that the audience for Japanese games is leaving PlayStation for Switch & Steam (everywhere, not just in Japan), and I'm not sure FF16 and Persona 6 would be enough to tempt them back.

Hot take: I would not be surprised if we started to see that shortly after the Switch 2 launches.

These aren't hot takes. They're completely braindead because you're really salty a game (that hasn't even been announced yet) might not appear on your favorite piece of plastic. Just pure brain rot console wars shit.

Somniac

Banned
Oct 10, 2021
Persona 6 on Switch would be awful. It was already super tough for a lot of late PS4/Xbox One games to get remotely competent Switch ports, so PS5/XSX games being dragged onto the Switch would result in the PS5/XSX version being scaled back to the point of absurdity.

I haven't played VR games, but would Metroid Prime be too quick and bouncy for VR?
Not impossible, but they would definitely need to adapt some elements to make it work in a more comfortable way, like reducing the speed of which the wasp enemies fly around at that would otherwise be Nausea City if you were locked onto them. Hell, they can get disorienting to follow along with in the current releases!

Oct 25, 2017
- Metroid Prime remaster for 2022 coinciding with the 20 year anniversary
November, huh?
G1oBFqC.gif

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
this is crazy enough for me to believe it , but praying Altus being Altus will really suck if true Playing Striker's on PC was wonderful and part of me doesn't see P6 being leaps and bounds better to justified being next gen only but who knows

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Won't see Persona 6 until at least 2025 so I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be PS5 only.