• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
After the brutal action the last two days the NASDAQ is now down 21% for the quarter. It's amazing that the government is going to shut down with everything else happening.

Nov 5, 2017
Can anyone explain why the stock market is crashing like this now when in the summer it was going gangbusters?

Is because the Fed decided to raise interest rates?

Should I be worried that a recession might follow soon because of the poor performance of the stock market recently?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain why the stock market is crashing like this now when in the summer it was going gangbusters?

Should I be worried that a recession might follow soon because of the poor performance of the stock market recently?

The recession is guaranteed. No doubt about it.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything someone could specifically do to prepare for another recession? I'm in college so I have very little money to be tucking away and certainly not enough to put aside for investing.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Is there anything someone could specifically do to prepare for another recession? I'm in college so I have very little money to be tucking away and certainly not enough to put aside for investing.

The issue is mostly uncertainty and tariffs from the Trump admin. So long as Congress puts a leash on him until he's put down any recession would be short lived. PMI is in the mid 50s as of 2 weeks ago which means growth.

OP
OP
RolandGunner

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Its a combination of higher interest rates, the fucking stupid tariffs, the government shutdown, and even fears about how Brexit is going to impact Europe. A lot of reasons to get out of stocks right now.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Eliminate debt, make a safety fund in low risk investments, dollar-cost-average your other investments if you want to keep that money in the markets

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you've got investments:

STAY CALM.

Now is not the time to sell. It may be scary, it may feel like you've lost a shit ton of money, but just remember, like all storms: this too shall pass.

It might take another two years, but long term gains will outweigh any of these short term dips.

Keep your head level, don't panic.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Going to move more money into my high yield savings account as the rates are ticking up, but otherwise I'm staying the course and dollar-cost-averaging into this bitch. Set up recurring funding and just don't check your accounts unless you like seeing red.

OP
OP
RolandGunner

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

I was in college when the dot com bust happened and it's super-tough competing with people who lost their jobs after you graduate. Its even more important to get internships or build some kind of relationship with an employer before you graduate. Or look at grad schools that don't require huge loans if that interest you.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Tech stocks have been insanely overvalued in recent years, so I'm not at all surprised by the plummet. Then you throw in the trade war, brexit, Fed actions and looming government shutdown, and you've got yourself a stew.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
God, it's so hard to not panic or have anxiety, but just remember to not do anything emotionally. hold tight and long-term you'll be fine.

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

Its pretty much the fed.

Bernanke and Yellen juiced the stock market for the better part of a decade. There are some studies out there which estimate that as much as 85% of the entire bull run over the past 8 years can be attributed to the zero rate environment they fostered.

Now that Powell is meaningfully raising rates (which is a good thing, mind you, they've been far too low for about 5 years now) the house of cards that Bernanke and Yellen built is falling apart.

The implications of this for the broader economy are pretty meaningless though. Fundamentally everything is still going strong, and Powell's rate hikes (which are actually very minor from a historical perspective, the fed fundss rate is still less than half of what is was prior to the last recession) aren't going to change that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I laugh at the loses my stock account has faced this past year. Go ahead and drop number your continued losses can not hold in the face of growth.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
No AG, no Chief of Staff, no defense secretary, a shutdown about to happen, and the stock market crashing.

We're witnessing the full collapse of the American government.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
The market has been hot for so long this was expected no matter what. Stay calm people, don't do anything hasty, remember almost all of us our long term investors.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
No AG, no Chief of Staff, no defense secretary, a shutdown about to happen, and the stock market crashing.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you've got investments:

STAY CALM.

Now is not the time to sell. It may be scary, it may feel like you've lost a shit ton of money, but just remember, like all storms: this too shall pass.

It might take another two years, but long term gains will outweigh any of these short term dips.

Keep your head level, don't panic.
Yup. Everything I've learned from threads here has advised me to keep my superannuation investments where they are in an indexed fund growth plan, and if a recession does happen, invest additional money on the way down. Buy the dip, as they say.

The only thing I have to worry about is staying employed during that period.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I like how after my tech stocks tanked 40% in October, every time it now drops another 3 or 5% a day I'm like HAHA Joke's on you God. 5% of nothing is NOTHING!

NaturalUnfoldedChrysalis-small.gif

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Its pretty much the fed.

Bernanke and Yellen juiced the stock market for the better part of a decade. There are some studies out there which estimate that as much as 85% of the entire bull run over the past 8 years can be attributed to the zero rate environment they fostered.

Now that Powell is meaningfully raising rates (which is a good thing, mind you, they've been far too low for about 5 years now) the house of cards that Bernanke and Yellen built is falling apart.

The implications of this for the broader economy are pretty meaningless though. Fundamentally everything is still going strong, and Powell's rate hikes (which are actually very minor from a historical perspective, the fed fundss rate is still less than half of what is was prior to the last recession) aren't going to change that.
its crazy to me, and this is of course 100% ancedotal, but my phone/email is getting bombarded with recruiters/companies looking for IT people. Usually the last few years between thanksgiving and christmas is dead slow. I've actually had to job hunt during this time in years past and its so hard because companies aren't looking to start anything till the new year, hiring people are all on vacation for long periods of time as well.

jfc no we're not.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I work in tech and have quite a few shares in this company via RSUs and ESPP. I can't even sell right now (no trade period), but should I be thinking about selling / diversifying? Or should I just hold onto it all since they're RSUs anyway.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a panic sell if I just move the money to something a little less volatile for a few months right?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I work in tech and have quite a few shares in this company via RSUs and ESPP. I can't even sell right now (no trade period), but should I be thinking about selling / diversifying? Or should I just hold onto it all since they're RSUs anyway.

Always sell your RSUs as soon as they vest. Holding stock in your employer carries additional uncompensated risk because of the correlation between your employer's success and your job security / salary growth. One of the basic rules of investing is that you should not take uncompensated risk.

Besides, if your vesting schedule is anything like mine, you are probably forced to carry high enough exposure to your employer's stock price as it is even if you sell the same day it vests.

ESPP / stock options is a more complicated story because you actually are compensated for the risk in the form of the discount and there are tax consequences to selling. So there is no one-size-fits-all answer for that.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
fml for starting to invest in retirement like 2 years ago. Any gains have been wiped out. (I know its retirement Im not supposed to worry yet, but it still is disheartening to see).

on the other hand, let it all burn if it finally gets a certain sect of people to help us vote this fuckhead out.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But if you look at how much markets rose over the past few years, it's been the sharpest sustained increase in forever? So it's not really a big deal.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Always sell your RSUs as soon as they vest. Holding stock in your employer carries additional uncompensated risk because of the correlation between your employer's success and your job security / salary growth. One of the basic rules of investing is that you should not take uncompensated risk.

Besides, if your vesting schedule is anything like mine, you are probably forced to carry high enough exposure to your employer's stock price as it is even if you sell the same day it vests.

ESPP / stock options is a more complicated story because you actually are compensated for the risk in the form of the discount and there are tax consequences to selling. So there is no one-size-fits-all answer for that.

I vest monthly, and as is have a pretty size-able amount. Might look into unloading some of these when the next trading period opens.

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
I might be out of a job come January, and most of my savings is in index funds. I should be able to scrape by using emergency savings without having to sell investments, but fuck this timing. Happy holidays.

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty much the fed.

From what I understand in this too is that 08s was built entirely on sham mortgage trading and was a far more global impact. Rates are just incredibly low and if controlled rise is done right we should have another one but not nearly on the scale of 08

leder

Oct 25, 2017
fml for starting to invest in retirement like 2 years ago. Any gains have been wiped out. (I know its retirement Im not supposed to worry yet, but it still is disheartening to see).

on the other hand, let it all burn if it finally gets a certain sect of people to help us vote this fuckhead out.
I know that feel, started my retirement funds in 2006