• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
GamerGate proved to me that a lot of gamerz are super trash.

But a lot them are super dope too (see; SonicFox).

There is nothing wrong with calling out and shaming the abhorrent parts of a given fandom/hobby.

Yup. The irony is the fact people take the easy route to stand up 'for the community' but go half assed at calling out/expelling the bigotry in the scene is how the stereotype lives.

As a POC ive been to Nascar (friend's bachelor party event) and felt EXTREMELY uncomfortable with all the confederate flags around. That said, as someone who plays passing attention to the sport Nascar seems pretty serious about stamping out sexism and racism with past incidents.

but imho only way to get everyone to shape up is to call em out. If people start feeling ashamed to be associated to a hobby they will be more sensitive to when people exhibit that behavior and it can't be written off as a few bad apples.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking that black people aren't flocking to NASCAR because of one dude's heated moment and not a storied history of catering to a culture and fanbase that are historically hostile against black folks' existence.

Folks that, for example, are more concerned that NASCAR's integrity be maintained rather than the fact that a diversity hire- a guy already on record for saying he disagreed with kneeling at NFL games- dropped "nigger" on stream.

Clownery.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
Look, I know you feel for some reason like you're on trial for watching and enjoying NASCAR, but you're not. Pretty much everyone knows that not everyone who participates in or watches NASCAR is a racist. However, given the comparative amount of confederate and MAGA flags waving at NASCAR events compared to every other sport in America, I think it's unreasonable to deny that there's a significantly stronger relationship between NASCAR and racism than other American sports. And regardless of where the drivers come from it's a cultural thing that pervades the environment of NASCAR.

It might be easy to ignore the writhing mass of hatred in and around the stands of a race when you're watching on TV, but when you're actually attending all of those events you have to be willing to tolerate it constantly. And given the permissive attitude toward racism at its venues by NASCAR, it shouldn't be surprising to learn that many of the staff, drivers, mechanics, etc. are drawn to the sport because of the miasma of racism that surrounds it. Remember, it's not just non-fans who view NASCAR as being a bastion of racism. Many people became fans because it's a bastion of racism.
Good post

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think all white people use that word regularly around their other white friends only. Then that moment in the heat of the moment they blurt it out by 'mistake' every time.

I am black and I never use that word with, 'er' or 'a'. So when I get angry I never blurt it out by mistake. Why do all white people do it by mistake?

If it is not part of your regular vocabulary then you would not say it my 'mistake'.

I know he is Japanese but I am sure the majority of his acquaintances or white.

All white people? In my 40 years as a white person I have never used that word and never heard anyone I associate with use it. Come on now.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Good response from Nascar with the indefinite suspension. Chip Ganassi is also not going to allow his reputation to be tarnished by this, I think he's driven his last laps for Ganassi.

Yeah, Chip knows he can find someone else to run the 42. Ross Chastain is likely since he ran on a satellite team for CGR at Daytona and was supposed to run for their Xfinity Series team before DC Solar was revealed as a fraud and completely collapsed (they were sponsoring the car).

But there will be other notable free agents available, too, as a lot of drivers have expiring contracts at the end of the year and the 48 will be open with Jimmie Johnson retiring (rumors keep pointing to Brad Keselowski going to it, which would open up the 2 car at Penske for someone, please not Austin Cindric yet).

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He'll probably still have a career. If he is so cavalier in its use in a public forum like Twitch or YouTube or whatever, that probably means this shit is common in the circles he runs in.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a mess this guy has made. I'm not convinced he fully grasps just how big of a blow this is to the organization. Sad to see plenty of morons on Twitter saying they are done with NASCAR because of the action they took.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
lmao
Get fuck'd my dude

Bt9JRhd.png

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think all white people use that word regularly around their other white friends only. Then that moment in the heat of the moment they blurt it out by 'mistake' every time.

I am black and I never use that word with, 'er' or 'a'. So when I get angry I never blurt it out by mistake. Why do all white people do it by mistake?

If it is not part of your regular vocabulary then you would not say it my 'mistake'.

You should never go with the "all" thing because it's never going to be accurate. I do think most people (white or otherwise) have used it at some point. I'd be ok with banning its use (along with any other offensive slur), but free speech. :(

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
I mean they just had trump take his truck-boat-truck-limo out for a spin at the daytona 500 much to the delight of his fans.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
NASCAR is so screwed. I can't see them recovering next year. The downward slide will continue, whatever minor momentum they were getting from these virtual events is effectively gone now. It's good the league is throwing him under the bus but the damage is done.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at all the white people in the replies absolving him for saying a word that directly brings down black people.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
it's always the same apology...is there like a template that PR teams just send to people to read and fill in the blanks?

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

/me looks at my hand

Oh god!! I NEED TO GET OUTSIDE AND GET A TAN!!!!

<expletives deleted>

Seirously. Fuck the hell off with that god damned racist bullshit. You're not even generalizing on a socioeconomic group or even an org. You are just straight up calling out people by the color of their skin.
SO fuck off with that shit.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry, I apologize if I'm misunderstanding.

But do people use a 'heated gamer moment' as a way to justify saying the n word? Whether that's hard r, or not, neither changes the fact that it's completely wrong.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly so I wanted to ask before really joining the discussion.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018

But do people use a 'heated gamer moment' as a way to justify saying the n word? Whether that's hard r, or not, neither changes the fact that it's completely wrong.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly so I wanted to ask before really joining the discussion.
Some folk, particularly those who care about the "hard 'r'" distinction, do.

I personally use it to point out the ridiculous trend of streamers and celebrities "shooting the shit" while streaming and letting their inner shithead flag fly.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

It's being said ironically here. Some used it as an actual excuse to defend PewDiePie in the past though...
knowyourmeme.com

Heated Gaming Moment

Heated Gaming Moment is a sarcastic slang term applied to instances where a person does something offensive such as use a racial or sexual slur while playing video games. The term was coined by writer Ian Miles Cheong while defending PewDiePie after he said the N-word on Stream.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All white people? In my 40 years as a white person I have never used that word and never heard anyone I associate with use it. Come on now.

It's def a thing I have noticed my whole life living in KS and MO. In a group of random white people one or more is bound to be a racist sub fuck and everyone else either goes along with it or ignores it. White family get togethers are the worst hives for that as well as the average white dinner table. Most don't stand up to or cut out racist family members and friends.

Most exceptions to this prove the rule. I can't relate to being white and thinking that post was off base, especially if one goes out of their way not to partake.

Trash comment.

You should be ashamed yourself, apologise and, frankly, be banned for a bit.

Be less fragile.Grab white pearls less.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of "second chances" for a nascar driver. "People make mistakes"...who goes around dropping the the hard R so naturally? That entire twitter feed is wild. What a country.

Oct 25, 2017
NASCAR is so screwed. I can't see them recovering next year. The downward slide will continue, whatever minor momentum they were getting from these virtual events is effectively gone now. It's good the league is throwing him under the bus but the damage is done.
Hmmmm I don't know.

Wasn't really on tv, some/most fans weren't really watching the iracing events, don't think he was as popular as he was in the past, so I dont think he was any face of nascar that would Screw them over if this was say other drivers.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Genuine question. If it doesn't apply to you, then why is it such an issue? I'm not trying to come off any kind of way, I'm open to discussion.

I think as black people, majority of us are conditioned in a way to somewhat expect that most white people would in their private time say things like that, not necessarily due to any specific individual, but because of history. I get it, you're an exception, and i'm sure there are plenty of other exceptions, but I don't think you could personally fault any black person for already having that expectation/reservation because at the end of the day, you still benefit from that very same racist system. If you're not a racist white person, that is absolutely amazing! And that's great! But I would hope that maybe you would at least try to empathize and somewhat come to an understanding that as black people, we've seen and heard it all before. I don't mean to reply with a long book or anything, I believe in having genuine discussions about this kind of thing, but I'll give you a quick example:

I went to a quaker school from Pre-K to the end of middle school. The school taught us all, black, white, whatever, that we're all one in the same. In a perfect world, that probably is the case. But in the real world, unfortunately it just isn't. Anyway, to tie it in, I had plenty of white friends and still do to this day (albeit, not the trash ones anymore clearly LOL). And they would swear up and down that they were 'colorblind' (which I think is problematic, because if you don't recognize my race and history, you don't recognize me), and would never ever condone any racist behavior, just to turn around years later to hear they've been saying the 'n' word to all of their little white friends.

So... I've kind of personally just become conditioned to not really be SURPRISED if one of my white friends of today were to end up not being as 'wholesome' as they said they were. Do I hope for the best, that they wouldn't fall into that category? Absolutely. But I've just seen it happen too many times. Am I really wrong for feeling that way?

I hope I got my point across in as much of a respectful way as possible given the touchy subject (especially on this board).

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
Meanwhile, ESPN has at least two documentaries I've seen in the past week specifically about how Nascar actively fucked with women and black men who joined the sport.

Oct 27, 2017
Not fucking surprised one bit. Casually spoken by someone who has very clearly used the word without hesitation regularly.

Coming from NASCAR, even less surprised. This is the sport for the confederate flag waving, white trash attracting, fantasizes-about-enslaving-niggers-again crowd that displays what they're all about every single race day.

As a black dude I couldn't ever, ever, ever, imagine being a fan of this sport. It's white fragility personified.

The fact that it came from a driver with Japanese ancestry and other drivers on the stream were more concerned about protecting him than being shocked at him saying nigger says everything.

So fucking tired of this shit. And tired of the excuses. As an aside, as an F1 fan, waiting for the day when a frustrated driver lets it go on the team radio. Hopefully not but yeah...

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I should just be cool with someone branding all white people as racist?

You do realise that what he said was textbook racism, right?

Most of us white people are racist and the need to use and inflict the N word is enormous. That's just how it is. It's not racist for black people to point it out.

Oct 25, 2017
NASCAR was already circling the drain before covid-19.

- super popular drivers like Dale Jr. are retiring
- their stage race and playoff format has turned people off
- sponsors are not flocking to put their names and logos on cars
- many smaller teams have gone away
- most races don't even have the full field in them
- NASCAR has made a few rules that honestly remove some of the fun for basically no gain in safety

Them going in for Trump in 2016 also hasn't helped. To say they may be in a bit of trouble after all this coronavirus stuff shakes out isn't too inaccurate in my opinion.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
why do white people want to say it so bad
I have no idea why white people, Hispanic or anyone else wants to say it. Recently started playing COD again so I hear it when gaming now too rather than just outside.

Of course he was going to apologize. These just feel so pointless now, I can understand honest mistakes but not for something like this.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false comparison
Genuine question. If it doesn't apply to you, then why is it such an issue? I'm not trying to come off any kind of way, I'm open to discussion.

I think as black people, majority of us are conditioned in a way to somewhat expect that most white people would in their private time say things like that, not necessarily due to any specific individual, but because of history. I get it, you're an exception, and i'm sure there are plenty of other exceptions, but I don't think you could personally fault any black person for already having that expectation/reservation because at the end of the day, you still benefit from that very same racist system. If you're not a racist white person, that is absolutely amazing! And that's great! But I would hope that maybe you would at least try to empathize and somewhat come to an understanding that as black people, we've seen and heard it all before. I don't mean to reply with a long book or anything, I believe in having genuine discussions about this kind of thing, but I'll give you a quick example:

I went to a quaker school from Pre-K to the end of middle school. The school taught us all, black, white, whatever, that we're all one in the same. In a perfect world, that probably is the case. But in the real world, unfortunately it just isn't. Anyway, to tie it in, I had plenty of white friends and still do to this day. And they would swear up and down that they were 'colorblind' (which I think is problematic, because if you don't recognize my race and history, you don't recognize me), and would never ever condone any racist behavior, just to turn around years later to hear they've been saying the 'n' world to all of their little white friends.

So... I've kind of personally just become conditioned to not really be SURPRISED if one of my white friends of today were to end up not being as 'wholesome' as they said they were. Do I hope for the best, that they wouldn't fall into that category? Absolutely. But I've just seen it happen too many times. Am I really wrong for feeling that way?

I hope I got my point across in as much of a respectful way as possible given the touchy subject (especially on this board).

The world is a lot bigger than the area that you have occupied and known.

His statement wasn't "the white people I know", "the white people where I live" or even "the white people in America". It was "all white people".

That's simply racist. Whoever says it and whatever their background.

You don't get a pass on being racist just because you're not white.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
User banned (3 months): Inflammatory comparisons surrounding racism

I went to a quaker school from Pre-K to the end of middle school. The school taught us all, black, white, whatever, that we're all one in the same. In a perfect world, that probably is the case. But in the real world, unfortunately it just isn't. Anyway, to tie it in, I had plenty of white friends and still do to this day. And they would swear up and down that they were 'colorblind' (which I think is problematic, because if you don't recognize my race and history, you don't recognize me), and would never ever condone any racist behavior, just to turn around years later to hear they've been saying the 'n' world to all of their little white friends.

If I said (And I don't believe this at all but will inevitably get banned while the racist shithead gets no-actioned)

I genuinely believe that all black people, in private, do nothing but contemplate how they can steal them white women

Would you shrug that off because you aren't part of some evil conspiracy to destroy the white race or whatever the fuck those idiots think?
Or would you say "Holy fucking shit that is racist" and be a bit pissed off that someone felt comfortable enough to just say that out loud?

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
What a mess this guy has made. I'm not convinced he fully grasps just how big of a blow this is to the organization. Sad to see plenty of morons on Twitter saying they are done with NASCAR because of the action they took.
It would actually be best for Nascar long term if all of the racists got out of the stands. So I'm not sad to see it, I'm just sad that they're not actually going to do it.