• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He was also dropped by his sponsor.

Not sure if this newly minted period of esports is going to do more harm then benefit as more people are exposed to it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how he thinks all of this esports stuff is a joke when it is literally paying the bills right now, which isn't something most sports leagues can say at the moment.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lmao!!! The entire context of this, and rage quitting culture is hilarious to me. I've had people rage quit against me in so many fighting games that I've grown to despise them. But in this instance, this dude is just as childish as the rest of em despite making money from playing video games. He should be reprimanded imo

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
If the organisers of the event wanted it to emulate actual racing they probably should have implemented stewards that can give out penalties for blatant intentional bumps and crashes...

It's one thing to have these kind of bumps in a random online lobby, another to have it being done in a televised racing league that is meant to be taken seriously.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
he didn't even seem that mad from the clip

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

This has been a huge issue with racing games since racing games were a thing. Some competitive games just allow cars to ghost through each other so they don't have to deal with trying to work out a way to discourage players from bouncing off each other. The ability to do that with no consequences ruins a lot of games for people who want a true sim. That's why this guy quit, he's not interested in a game that's so far from the real thing.

Well he was mad enough to quit a race which he would've gotten paid for.

Does that make him angry? A quick Google search says he's worth $3.5 million dollars. Unless he was somehow getting paid some ungodly amount for this I'd assume he was doing it more for fun than for a paycheck.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao!!! The entire context of this, and rage quitting culture is hilarious to me. I've had people rage quit against me in so many fighting games that I've grown to despise them. But in this instance, this dude is just as childish as the rest of em despite making money from playing video games. He should be reprimanded imo
Well, his sponsor dropped him. I would say that's a pretty big reprimand.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Does that make him angry? A quick Google search says he's worth $3.5 million dollars. Unless he was somehow getting paid some ungodly amount for this I'd assume he was doing it more for fun than for a paycheck.
3,5 million or not, I'm guessing the races and the sponsors are his only income until whenever they can race again in front of people, right? I also assume he lives according to his higher standards, so his mansion doesn't pay for itself. Regardless of that , the right thing to do is to finish the race and complain about it afterwards on social media or on TV. Why did he not do that in the first place? I'm assuming because he was pretty mad.

not saying he wasn't mad, just that I expected him to totally lose his shit.
Oh yeah my bad. That's true, it was a pretty tame reaction.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I think being so mad you fuck over your own future is by definition very angry indeed.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
3,5 million or not, I'm guessing the races and the sponsors are his only income until whenever they can race again in front of people, right? I also assume he lives according to his higher standards, so his mansion doesn't pay for itself. Regardless of that , the right thing to do is to finish the race and complain about it afterwards on social media or on TV. Why did he not do that in the first place? I'm assuming because he was pretty mad.

To be clear I think it was shitty he quit, I just think selfish would be more accurate than angry, he doesn't exactly come across as enraged, more annoyed.

I have no idea what the guy's personal finances are like, but are we assuming he's a big enough idiot to bankrupt himself by rage-quitting an event? I understand we're talking about a NASCAR driver but come on, give the dude some credit.

I think being so mad you fuck over your own future is by definition very angry indeed.

Again, I don't really know who this is and don't follow NASCAR, but did quitting this online event really fuck over his future?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that was a thing. Professionals coming to video games. Makes me wonder if there's a 2K league of all NBA players.

Aug 12, 2019
Seems like an overreaction from the sponsor to be honest. Intentionally bumping in a real Nascar race could seriously endanger the lives of every other racer behind you and could be cause for a suspension or even downright ejection because you're endangering people's lives and destroying thousands if not million of dollars of equipment. In the virtual race that is supposed to be a simulation of real life, the person bumping literally suffers no consequence and makes a farce out of actual competition and racing by doing something like this. I understand absolutely how it could piss someone off when they probably weren't super interested or willing to do something like this in the first place (virtual racing can be good fun... but let's face it, when you actually drive 200 MPH on a course for a living, there's no comparison).

And dear god I just defended NASCAR...

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Again, I don't really know who this is and don't follow NASCAR, but did quitting this online event really fuck over his future?

Looks like a PR stunt from the sponsor tbh.

They are spending money and the cars aren't even racing, a lot of them are trying to dump their drivers/teams or not pay for the races that are not happening.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I had no idea that was a thing. Professionals coming to video games. Makes me wonder if there's a 2K league of all NBA players.

I'm not sure, but this is definitely a lot less gimmicky. Racing sims can be surprisingly accurate, whereas I don't see how actual basketball skills would necessarily translate to being better at 2K.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

He really doesn't have much of a future, anyway. He's a bottom tier driver with a bottom tier team. He was decent when he was in the Xfinity Series, but he hasn't done anything noteworth since moving to the Cup Series. He'll be going back to the Xfinity or Truck Series in a few more seasons.

Quite a few drivers played iRacing, even before this. It's apparently a pretty decent sim.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
if that other car was slightly in front of him, how would they even know he was there? Looked accidental to me, unless there's something I'm missing.

Deleted member 33319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Watching the personalities of the cup series react to becoming an esport has been amazing and hilarious.

I know a lot of people are saying it's just a game but one of the most important jobs of a stock car driver is to get your sponsor's name out there. This iRacing league broadcasts on FS1 and regular Fox in some regions and he quit out not even a quarter way through the race. Even if his chances of winning were over he should've at least logged laps in. Heck this race was only like 150 laps it was very, very short.
I love Bubba, but if I were his sponsor I would've dropped and dragged him too.

And dear god I just defended NASCAR...
NASCAR is rad though

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Many professional drivers of many motorsport disciplines have setups at home of 15-20k dollars to practice during the whole off-season which can last from late autumn to spring.

It's why a total debutant can be in the top spots of a F1 race or even outright win it having a good car. It's serious business.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Many professional drivers of many motorsport disciplines have setups at home of 15-20k dollars to practice during the whole off-season which can last from late autumn to spring.

It's why a total debutant can be in the top spots of a F1 race or even outright win it having a good car. It's serious business.

Pretty sure there's a current Cup driver that started in iRacing....just can't remember his name.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure there's a current Cup driver that started in iRacing....just can't remember his name.

This guy began his professional career with GT6 on the PS3.

He's not Lewis Hamilton for sure but I'm sure he's living comfortably. More and more proffesionals will come out from the sim scene as years pass by. Which is a good thing because most of the time going pro or not depends entirely if your parents are rich or not to pay for your career in the lower classes.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

But seriously ... what a world we live in now. Nascar driver loses his sponsors for rage-quitting from an esport? We're in the future.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you any of you serious right now? Guy is already out of his place of work, dealing with this pandemic shit, gets driven over in a competition that is supposed to be serious, and when he quit because nobody is really taking seriously, you want him penalised in the money he uses for living?

Another day, another step down in the ladder of pure disgust attitude this community can display.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Are you any of you serious right now? Guy is already out of his place of work, dealing with this pandemic shit, gets driven over in a competition that is supposed to be serious, and when he quit because nobody is really taking seriously, you want him penalised in the money he uses for living?

Another day, another step down in the ladder of pure disgust attitude this community can display.
Had it been a real race, do you think pulling over and quitting would have also been an acceptable activity?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm kind of with Bubba here.

If that were a real race, getting intentionally bumped like that would be super dangerous and completely unprofessional. Bubba's right to be pissed, even though no lives were at stake. It's what I'd expect from someone trying to do their job to the standards normally expected of them while a fellow driver acts like they're playing fuckin' Burnout.

Glad another sponsor's stepping up, what a stupid reason to drop a driver.

Had it been a real race, do you think pulling over and quitting would have also been an acceptable activity?

If Bubba thought another racer was trying to get him to crash intentionally? Yeah, I'd consider that acceptable for sure. You kidding me?