• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
news
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Nasal Spray Prevents Covid Infection in Ferrets, Study Finds (Published 2020)

Scientists at Columbia University have developed a treatment that blocks the virus in the nose and lungs, is inexpensive and needs no refrigeration.

Scientists at Columbia University have developed a treatment that blocks the virus in the nose and lungs, is inexpensive and needs no refrigeration.

thehill.com

Nasal spray prevents COVID-19 infection in test animals, new study finds

A study that has yet to be peer-reviewed showed promise in protecting ferrets from contracting the new novel coronavirus.

"Virus replication was completely blocked," the study said.

The experimental preventative treatment was developed by researchers from Columbia University Medical Center, Erasmus Medical Center and Cornell University. Researchers use ferrets to study respiratory diseases because the animals can become infected through the nose, similar to humans.

"If it works this well in humans, you could sleep in a bed with someone infected or be with your infected kids and still be safe," Anne Moscona, a pediatrician and microbiologist from Columbia University Medical Center and co-author of the study, told the New York Times.

This sounds potentially great

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It requires daily application, so bit of a hassle compared to a vaccine, but this could help bridge the time until a vaccine is widely available and help us get away from lockdowns, if human trials pan out.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
It requires daily application, so bit of a hassle compared to a vaccine, but this could help bridge the time until a vaccine is widely available and help us get away from lockdowns, if human trials pan out.
Everything helps. Like you said, it might help bridge the time, and it could also help with family being able to visit sick family members at the hospital

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand: Cool.
On the other hand: There's already enough people "addicted" to nasal spray due to overuse... 🤦‍♂️

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
After many years I finally managed to get rid of my nasal spray addiction. I am not doing that ever again. I'd rather just not leave the house

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
> yet to be peer-reviewed

template-this-is-worthless-0c6db91aec9c.jpg

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt that due to the contents in the nasal spray, while I don't know if this contains the same, it most likley wont be an issue?

I think it's also the over-the-counter stuff. Isn't it because the lining within the nose just stops generating enough mucous because it's being moistened by an external source - and such, eventually, you have a consistently dry (or dry feeling) nose if you stop using the spray?

But i might be very wrong, too, so ...

Oct 27, 2017
Plz. This would be amazing. Even if COVID vaccine is free in US ppl will still not take it or have the means to get to where they can take it. This would be especially useful for those experiencing homelessness, as you can just give them a goodie bag filled with other supplies

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Just wanted to say I know way too many nasal spray addicts and I'll rather not have a product that will enable them.
Okay I feel like there's something I'm missing, are people getting high or just becoming dependent on the decongestant? I've never heard of this.

Also re: this new Covid measure, I'd sooner just wear a mask and hope for the best. Squeamish about putting stuff up my nose.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
I'm also confused by the negativity regarding nasal sprays. I used to wake up 3-5 days a week with sneezing and blowing my nose for 2 hours straight. I started every day exhausted and miserable. I couldn't breathe. I started using Flonase and I don't have that happen anymore at all. It's one of the best things I've ever found for my health issues.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have the option, at least.

Even if you don't use it every day, it might be good for days where you know you'll be mingling more with people.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
If everything works out in terms of testing and peer-review, that would be great until the vaccine can get widely spread.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
it could be useful for times when you leave the house. The issue is making sure those even at the lowest poverty levels could afford it and convincing those who believe its some conspiracy to not balk at science.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
But masks are suppose to stop people who could potentially have covid from spreading it. This spray is to prevent people who don't have covid from getting it. They're the exact opposite in function
Well, if someone is prevented from getting it via a spray, that person can't spread it, can they? I mean, there's always the chance of being asymptomatic, which, of course a mask does help with too.

Feb 1, 2018
This sounds like a wonderfully effective stopgap until the vaccine is widely available

I already have a covid routine since march where i take multiple immune supplements each morning so adding a little spray isnt a big deal

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
This would be great for when I start traveling internationally again, applying before starting a journey. International airports and planes are likely to be high risk well beyond when most countries have it under control given the volume of human traffic (often unwashed for long periods) from many locales in close proximity plus the number of shared surfaces you have to touch. Give me that 24 hour immunity!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The lipoprotein can be inexpensively produced as a freeze-dried white powder that does not need refrigeration, Dr. Moscona said. A doctor or pharmacist could mix the powder with sugar and water to produce a nasal spray.
Because lipopeptides can be shipped as a dry powder, they could be used even in rural areas in poor countries that lack refrigeration, Dr. Moscona said.

Dr. Moscona, a pediatrician who usually works on parainfluenza and other viruses that infect children, said she was most interested in getting the product to poor countries that may never have access to the monoclonal antibodies and mRNA vaccines that Americans may soon have.
This sounds like it could be great for the world population being able to get this virus under control, no matter where you live or how poor a country may be.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Afaik nasal spray addiction is due to xylometazoline. If you stop using that at the wrong time it will make things worse, making you use it again.

Anecdotal evidence: I've felt the addiction to nasal spray with xylometazoline while I haven't felt that addiction with nasal sprays without it