• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017

What makes this moon so alluring is the possibility that it may possess all of the ingredients necessary for life. Scientists have evidence that one of these ingredients, liquid water, is present under the icy surface and may sometimes erupt into space in huge geysers. But no one has been able to confirm the presence of water in these plumes by directly measuring the water molecule itself. Now, an international research team led out of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, has detected the water vapor for the first time above Europa's surface. The team measured the vapor by peering at Europa through one of the world's biggest telescopes in Hawaii.

Confirming that water vapor is present above Europa helps scientists better understand the inner workings of the moon. For example, it helps support an idea, of which scientists are confident, that there's a liquid water ocean, possibly twice as big as Earth's, sloshing beneath this moon's miles-thick ice shell. Another source of water for the plumes, some scientists suspect, could be shallow reservoirs of melted water ice not far below Europa's surface. It's also possible that Jupiter's strong radiation field is stripping water particles from Europa's ice shell, though the recent investigation argued against this mechanism as the source of the observed water.

Source

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Europa has always been such a fascinating moon.

If I recall correctly the tiger stripes on the surface are what gave clues to the liquid ocean underneath. I believe they largely result from the stretching of the moon in its orbit around Jupiter and the ice shell cracking and reforming. That stretching and compacting must generate heat from the core, and where there's heat and ice there's water. Where there's water and geothermal activity like heat vents, there's the chance of life.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Imagine how dark and pressurized that ocean is to be so far beneath the ice

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would shit pants if I was dropped in that ocean. Imagine having miles and miles of water beneath you with miles and miles of ice above you.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Ok fine, spoiler from the movie. Europa Report.
tumblr_n6q96cZU6r1r94qt9o1_400.gifv

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So could be me, but what else would spew out of geysers on a water ice planet? Nice that it's confirmed, but seems like a rather obvious result.

Jan 29, 2018
Seriously though - send a lander with a big fucking drill on it and get a camera in that (suspected) subsurface ocean. Preferably in my lifetime.

Mar 3, 2019
Bruh imagine if they find tardigrades there. That would just be proof that all the life in our solar system has probally come from other sources/asteroids, etc

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Europa and Ganymede. Someday those moons are going to be very important.

Then Titan. Sometime in the very, very, very distant future that place is also gonna be very important.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
After seeing how geologically active Pluto is when its that tiny ass thing way out there. I bet Europa has all kinds of crazy shit going on inside there being that big and right next to Jupiter and with more influence from the Sun. I do wonder if they will go there next or Ganymede instead. Not sure which one I'm more interested in.

I guess they are planning on orbiting it with a probe launching in 2022

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why did this take so long to confirm? I knew it had water ever since it was first shown. It's just obvious

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh imagine if they find tardigrades there. That would just be proof that all the life in our solar system has probally come from other sources/asteroids, etc

possibly extrasolar or - if some far simpler form of life like bacteria- then even a complex inevitable outcome of currently unknown but simple chemistry. Some scientists are studying whether or not life emerged more than once on earth. If it happened more than once separately (or nearly with complex organic compounds or acids) then it would practically guarantee it happens all over the universe.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I was reading about the difficulties with potentially drilling for samples or the like on Europa. Turns out contamination is a big worry.