• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Technically not the first time we've gotten recorded sounds from other planets, but this is pretty neat.

Edit:
Neptune

Jupiter

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of surprised they didn't record some audio before from other Mars rovers or probes. Guess they didn't think it was high priority.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
I would listen to a live stream for hours. Love it.

The Neptune sounds are scary though.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
We landed something on Mars 10 days ago and this is the first I'm hearing of it. It's a real shame news like this doesn't get more coverage.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't record some audio before from other Mars rovers or probes. Guess they didn't think it was high priority.
I've wondered this for a long time too. Found a nice article that covers this:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bruce-betts/2016/20160705-listen-up-microphones-on-mars.html

Turns out it's been tried a couple of times before but one crashed and another was never turned on for technical reasons. The Mars 2020 mission will try again.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unnerving. Holy fuck this is eerie. Not what I expected to hear at all, not sure what exactly I was expecting mind you but . . .

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically not the first time we've gotten recorded sounds from other planets, but this is pretty neat.

Edit:
Neptune

Jupiter

i'm not sure about the Nuptune one, but i assume it's the same as the Jupiter one, which isn't actually a recording:
Scientists sometimes translate radio signals into sound to better understand the signals. This approach is called "data sonification". On June 27, 1996, the Galileo spacecraft made the first flyby of Jupiter's largest moon, Ganymede, and this audio track represents data from Galileo's Plasma Wave Experiment instrument.
via https://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/features/halloween_sounds.html

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the first volume (before they amplify it) is weird, it's like my headphones are giving me a massage

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Can't wait to make it to Mars myself someday :')
Sometimes I get bummed out realizing I'm just barely going to miss stuff like this. I wish I were born like 200 years from now. For thousands of years, human development crawled forward. Then it skyrocketed (lol) in the 20th century. So I can see this amazing stuff on the horizon, but I'm probably going to miss it all.

At least I have video games.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool because it makes it feel more real, so to speak. None of us will likely travel to mars so sound along with visuals goes a long way.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
That was very cool! My 7-year old self would have been ecstatic hearing this.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I expect what's comes next is "Dun, Dun Duuuuuun.... "and you know the rest

From Jeff Waynes, War of The World's. 🤘🏻

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
What blew my mind was that the term marsquakes, I'd never put two and two together with the word earthquake.