• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

NASA has announced that our next destination in the solar system is the unique, richly organic world Titan. Advancing our search for the building blocks of life, the Dragonfly mission will fly multiple sorties to sample and examine sites around Saturn's icy moon.

Dragonfly will launch in 2026 and arrive in 2034. The rotorcraft will fly to dozens of promising locations on Titan looking for prebiotic chemical processes common on both Titan and Earth. Dragonfly marks the first time NASA will fly a multi-rotor vehicle for science on another planet; it has eight rotors and flies like a large drone. It will take advantage of Titan's dense atmosphere – four times denser than Earth's – to become the first vehicle ever to fly its entire science payload to new places for repeatable and targeted access to surface materials.

Titan is an analog to the very early Earth, and can provide clues to how life may have arisen on our planet. During its 2.7-year baseline mission, Dragonfly will explore diverse environments from organic dunes to the floor of an impact crater where liquid water and complex organic materials key to life once existed together for possibly tens of thousands of years. Its instruments will study how far prebiotic chemistry may have progressed. They also will investigate the moon's atmospheric and surface properties and its subsurface ocean and liquid reservoirs. Additionally, instruments will search for chemical evidence of past or extant life.

"With the Dragonfly mission, NASA will once again do what no one else can do," said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. "Visiting this mysterious ocean world could revolutionize what we know about life in the universe. This cutting-edge mission would have been unthinkable even just a few years ago, but we're now ready for Dragonfly's amazing flight."

The mission was chosen from two candidates, the other being a mission to retrieve samples of an asteroid.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, exciting. I've always been particularly interested in Titan since Cassini-Huygens and in particular have been excited by the idea of another mission there to get some actual photos of the crazy stuff going on it's surface with hydrocarbon lakes and whatnot. 2034 is a while away but no doubt whatever this thing turns up will be worth the wait.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, Titan is really interesting. Pretty cool they're finally sending a flying drone instead of another slow ass rover. I imagine Titan must have the perfect conditions for a drone to make that feasible.

We better get some sweet HD aerial footage of Titan! Kinda depressing how long it's going to take though :( we need to come up with faster space travel already.

Oct 31, 2017
Excellent. I remember reading about this as a mission proposal and thinking it would never be chosen. Titan is a weird and interesting place- look up the Huygens probe

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know Titan is the best candidate for producing complex life in the next few billion years as the sun expands and warms it up. It's probably already a book or something, but it made me think; 3 billion years in the future, the sun has expanded and swallowed Mercury and maybe Venus and destroyed Earth. Titan meanwhile has evolved complex life, imagine them building probes and sending them to the dead planets nearby and speculating if there was ever life on any of them, or imagine they send a probe down through the tumultuous clouds covering Earth and discover the long dead ruins of a former civilisation.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Ex1IYro.gif

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice, Titan is really interesting. Pretty cool they're finally sending a flying drone instead of another slow ass rover. I imagine Titan must have the perfect conditions for a drone to make that feasible.

We better get some sweet HD aerial footage of Titan! Kinda depressing how long it's going to take though :( we need to come up with faster space travel already.
I know right, I'm still in my 20s and it'll get there when I'm 44 assuming no delays.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nuclear? so... what happens if the rocket that's supposed to bring it into space blows up at launch?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
not exactly what I would be worried about...
rather:

A number of NASA vehicles already are nuclear powered i.e. the Curiosity Rover. However they go under a huge amount of testing to simulate what would happen if the vehicle exploded at launch so the chances are minute of any nuclear material escaping. Even if it did my understanding is that any impact would be minimal.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds really cool, crazy how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B in our solar system.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If I can get to see a picture of Titan's methane ocean before I die I will die a happy man.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I had zero clue Titan's atmosphere was so dense. It would be awesome if they could replicate this across other probes and planets, but sadly it wouldn't work on planets with far thinner atmospheres like Mars.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent choice! Man I wish I could listen in on the prep meetings for this project. They should stream them or something.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Titans our best bet to find life in the Solar System other than ourselves, so about time we actually go and see if there is any.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I'm intrigued to see how long the nuclear-powered battery will be able to fly the quadcopter. Li-Po is better than the rest of course but it still gives pretty rubbish fly-times

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was just watching The Farthest Voyager in Space yesterday, and wondering when we were going to see a mission to Titan. Excited beyond belief for this.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Hot take - they're not going to find any signs of life there.

But damn if it isn't badass that they're going there with this technology.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Titan is probably the most exciting place in the solar system that isn't Earth. Its got a hydrologic cycle with rain, rivers, and oceans. But instead of water like here on Earth, its liquid methane. I can't wait to see a birds eye view of an ocean on another world.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was hoping Dragonfly would win. It's such a great concept and for a world as amazing as Titan we really did need to go back to do more exploring.

I had zero clue Titan's atmosphere was so dense. It would be awesome if they could replicate this across other probes and planets, but sadly it wouldn't work on planets with far thinner atmospheres like Mars.
Believe it or not, they're actually using a helicopter in the Mars 2020 mission!

You really just need to get the weight down enough and get a big enough rotor and it's possible to fly even in 1% the Earth's atmosphere.

But you're mostly correct, the only planetary bodies this is feasable on is Earth, Mars, Titan, and Venus (at around 50 km so you don't get crushed by the pressure first).

Last edited:

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably already a book or something, but it made me think; 3 billion years in the future, the sun has expanded and swallowed Mercury and maybe Venus and destroyed Earth. Titan meanwhile has evolved complex life, imagine them building probes and sending them to the dead planets nearby and speculating if there was ever life on any of them, or imagine they send a probe down through the tumultuous clouds covering Earth and discover the long dead ruins of a former civilisation.
Stephen Baxter wrote a short story (Sun God in the Phase Space collection) dealing with that (Titan-based aliens find the wreck of a human spaceship long after humanity went extinct) and are trying to figure out what sort of species was behind it. It's a sequel to Titan, a book about a manned expedition to said moon.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the bigger worry is that if someone's hair gets stuck on the machine and it explodes in orbit leading to the creation of a supervillain:

1497039539394.gif

Well, I say 'super'..........

I haven't seen "Nuclear Man" in over 25 years, thank you. Was he made up for the movie or was he some obscure Superman villain I've never heard of.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
To say this is a thread title I never thought I'd read would be to give far too much credit to my imagination.

I'm very happy to hear of this mission though.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Jesus I'm gonna be 51 by the time it gets there. Amazing mission though, this is the kind of future space shit I wanted to see.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know Titan is the best candidate for producing complex life in the next few billion years as the sun expands and warms it up. It's probably already a book or something, but it made me think; 3 billion years in the future, the sun has expanded and swallowed Mercury and maybe Venus and destroyed Earth. Titan meanwhile has evolved complex life, imagine them building probes and sending them to the dead planets nearby and speculating if there was ever life on any of them, or imagine they send a probe down through the tumultuous clouds covering Earth and discover the long dead ruins of a former civilisation.
The Earth will be uninhabitable in about 800 million years. The sun will get more intense making it too hot for photosynthesis.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
not exactly what I would be worried about...
rather:
It wouldn't explode like a normal nuclear bomb would because you have to arrange the materials in specifics ways to do that. In the unlikely even that the explosion does do that, most of the radiation would get swept up into the atmosphere and then be diluted. The nuclear material on the payload is so tiny that once diluted it will barely register compared to the natural radiation that the Earth naturally gets from space and the Sun.

Last edited: