• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you most excited about?

• The search for biosignatures

Votes: 174 37.2%
  • Ingenuity, the Martian helicopter

Votes: 99 21.2%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 94 20.1%
  • Photos and videos from Mars

Votes: 101 21.6%

• Total voters

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't matter, people will process them and show them off everywhere regardless, taking the wind out of the sails of the reveal video. I'm fine with NASA doing this for the first video or something but not afterwards.

I understand their motives. I just don't think it will change much in the end when it comes to exposure.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
What's the speed of data flow between the rover and the earth ?
mars.nasa.gov

Communications - NASA

The Mars 2020 rover, Perseverance, has three antennas that serve as both its 'voice' and its 'ears.' They are located on the rover equipment deck (its 'back').
There are three antennas on the rover.
Up to 2mbit/s on the UHF antenna to Mars Reconnaiscance Orbiter when it's directly overhead (MRO has a max 2.4mbit/s connection back to Earth).
Up to 3kbit/s direct transmission to Earth on the steerable high gain antenna.
Up to 30bit/s on the low gain antenna, which doesn't need steering and is the ultimate backup.

Image dump (145 photos)

supermatt

Oct 25, 2017
Raw images are being posted now:
mars.nasa.gov

Images from the Mars Perseverance Rover - NASA

Raw images of Mars taken by the Perseverance rover and Ingenuity Mars helicopter in Jezero Crater.

Also confirmed we'll be getting video of the landing tomorrow at 2pm ET:

NASA

@NASA

Tango Delta Nominal Now that
@NASAPersevere landed, we'll release first-of-its-kind footage from the rover's descent and landing after entering Mars' atmosphere. Watch NASA TV Monday, Feb. 22, starting at 2pm ET to see Mars like never before: https://nasa.gov/live

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Working on a mission like this one was my dream and is why I went to school for astronautical engineering but unfortunately I graduated at the wrong time and couldn't get a job in my field, also didn't help that I didn't have the best gpa but I'm still proud of the fact that j graduated from the program. Oh well, I've forgotten most of what I learned anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Spot on delivery.

If there's some clear signs of life they'll be picking up those drops asap. Maximum thrust. I want the drone to photo the large fossil of an ancient martian lifeform. That'd put some booster in the rockets.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Spot on delivery.

If there's some clear signs of life they'll be picking up those drops asap. Maximum thrust. I want the drone to photo the large fossil of an ancient martian lifeform. That'd put some booster in the rockets.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's inevitable.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Images from the Mars Perseverance Rover - NASA Mars

145 new raw images.

If someone wanted to, you could go ahead and stitch these together as RGB color images by looking at the file names:

for example:
RRG_0002...
RRB_0002...
RRR_0002...

are RGB channels of a single image.

Fantastic.

Thought I'd do a quick and dirty attempt in Photoshop with some lens correction and such:

7Q9knvx.png

Not quite perfect, the top of the rover is still a bit wobbly for example, but you get the idea. Still not entirely sure how to properly use the Adaptive Lens Correction filter.

Oct 25, 2017

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Here's another one, this one came out a bit better I think (love the lens flare).

I sampled the white balance based on the highlights on the wheel. The original "as shot" image seemed super red, but I imagine that's an artifact of the cameras not correcting for the time of day change (or me screwing up somewhere). I know Mars has blue-ish sunsets as well, so it shouldn't get more red as it gets darker anyway.

Also I did a bit of bit of content aware and inpainting on the sky so there wasn't a gap in the middle, so forgive the slightly shoddy work there.

2o6hvTS.png

Last edited:

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Also I'm assuming Percy has a color calibration chart like Curiosity, so that should make color correction way easier once they've taken some images of it (couldn't be bothered to check if they have).

621283main_pia15284-43_946-710.jpg

Curiosity ^

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I prefer that they synced up the audio with the control room as they were getting return signals. It was like watching the landing in real time. It would have been nice if the microphone worked, but whatever as they said you get what you get.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Neat.

I have been exploring the HiRISE DTM data using Blender and high resolution images of the same location (using Hiview program) that Perseverance landed in and I said to myself while watching the video, "I recognize that spot."