• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
so amazing. i cant wait to see what new pictures this will bring for our children

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a silly comparison but after seeing that video this made me think a project this delicate is likely to be our lifetime's equivalent of the Contact rings in terms of "don't fuck it up"-ness and potentially setting our progress back by decades if it does mess up somewhere along the line. Something tells me there isn't a second one hiding somewhere either :p

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap that thing looks so freaking cool. Very excited to see the photo results!

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can this thing get quality photos of planets outside our system?

No. In theory the Terrascope could, but that's only if it works and they try it. The Terrascope would use the Earth's atmosphere was a lens. You could easily make out other planets and their topography.

Terrascope_1280p.jpg

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Incredibly excited for this, fingers crossed the intense launch in 2021 goes as planned. I'll be watching for sure.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Strange how I've been hearing about this amazing piece of engineering being built for what seems like nearly half my adult life and its finally done. We're finally at the home stretch. Only a couple more years to go.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I'm extremely excited about the potential of this telescope and what it will add to our understanding of the cosmos.

On the other hand there's a good chance it will force me to retcon spackle multiple aspects of the Sci fi in my job.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
It scares the hell out of me how easily even the tiniest problem could fuck up the entire thing. I suspect it will launch successfully, it's just that, once it's fully operational, there's literally nothing we can do to fix it, if something should go wrong.

We just have to hope that it gets meaningful data while it's fully functional.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
No. In theory the Terrascope could, but that's only if it works and they try it. The Terrascope would use the Earth's atmosphere was a lens. You could easily make out other planets and their topography.

Terrascope_1280p.jpg
I actually saw the guy's youtube video on this and I'm glad it is gaining traction. Only one way to find out is to try it and apparently it is much, much cheaper to boot. Hopefully he gets a NASA grant soon.

edit: here is is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgOTZe07eHA

Seems like a cool dude. His example is how you use youtube to do actual good.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It scares the hell out of me how easily even the tiniest problem could fuck up the entire thing. I suspect it will launch successfully, it's just that, once it's fully operational, there's literally nothing we can do to fix it, if something should go wrong.

yeah watching the videos on this thing, so many moving parts. It's the tyranny of the payload, unfortunately.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, I had no idea about the insane orbit we were sending this thing too! Wow.

I can't begin to fathom how complicated this whole endeavor is. And to only get one shot at it....

Fingers crossed and wishing them the best.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They fixed a giant physical flaw in hubble's mirror with software that (reductively) translated the data from the flawed element back to normal.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
It feels like it's taking forever to launch this thing. Been following this telescope for years and the date always feels so far away. Can't wait! Very excited for this.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Terrascope_1280p.jpg

This is some Asimov level madness. In the article it sounds like he's suggesting that the idea of using gravity as a lens is a possibility? Using the Sun as a magnifying glass would be an ironic role reversal. It's people like these that make me realise I am dumb as shit.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Probably a silly comparison but after seeing that video this made me think a project this delicate is likely to be our lifetime's equivalent of the Contact rings in terms of "don't fuck it up"-ness and potentially setting our progress back by decades if it does mess up somewhere along the line. Something tells me there isn't a second one hiding somewhere either :p

Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is some Asimov level madness. In the article it sounds like he's suggesting that the idea of using gravity as a lens is a possibility? Using the Sun as a magnifying glass would be an ironic role reversal. It's people like these that make me realise I am dumb as shit.

In his video and paper he explains it a lot more clearly. There is quite a bit of merit to it. This idea has been around for sometime, but it was originally proposed for the Sun. However using the Sun has quite a bit of problems and would probably not work with current tech. However, his idea is actually feasible, if it works.

I made a thread about it a few weeks back with more information about it.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking awesome! However, I got a bad feeling something is going to go wrong such as them finding a major error while it is in space and there would be no feasible way to currently fix it.

All sorts of things have gone wrong with space probes and telescopes after they've been launched and fixes have been found from the ground.

The Fourier Transform was adopted for deconvolution of images taken with flawed lenses after the Hubble Space Telescope was launched with a significant aberration that interfered with its ability to focus properly on stellar objects. Which not only let them continue to take images with the Hubble while they planned a mission to replace the lens, but is used in many aspects of microscopy, particularly in biology imaging.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how engineers don't shit themselves every time they work on these exceedingly delicate machines. I hope it launches on its projected date with no issues.