• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels awful to play with analog only. That along with fast movement and floaty jumps makes this a hard pass.

I remember seeing this through the years thinking it looks dope. Shame.

In the game's defence in this regard, there is very little precision platforming to be done (there is one boss that requires some precision of movement in the last 1/3 of the game, but it is designed around the floaty movement), and what there is can be mitigated somewhat by pressing down on the analogue stick to immediately stop dead and drop mid jump.

It doesn't mitigate people's dislike of the way the game handles but it wasn't totally gamebreaking for me.

Dec 18, 2017
I really wish I had dipped into this thread before spending money on this, I despise when 2d games have forced analogue only controls.

All the complaints about controller lag are directly because of trying to play a side scroller with the 3D control method.

D-pad support coming in a future update
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I had dipped into this thread before spending money on this, I despise when 2d games have forced analogue only controls.

All the complaints about controller lag are directly because of trying to play a side scroller with the 3D control method.

D-pad support is coming to the game:

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
Glad I am not the only one who found that text is too much. I would have enjoyed a lot more without text because it was kind of frustration that I couldn't really understand the explanation and character names.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I've enjoyed this a fair bit - I'm about half way through the game - and my only real complaint is that it's a lot of Find Key for Door as objectives - with a ton of a backtracking to do so.

I'd also prefer D-Pad for movement obviously. But the game has a pretty low difficulty so far, so precision isn't needed too much - just really an issue landing on the tiny platforms. Though pressing down to quick drop when over them helps.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
I'm losing the fun with it. Currently I'm on the North Coast Bridge and
First you have the soldier with the massive shield who is at least the hardest or second hardest enemy in the game. I don't have a reliable strategy for him. After I made it past him the second wave starts and Ii died instantly.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I got around halfway through this game and generally had a fun time, but when I went back on it two days later I absolutely cannot for the life of me work out where I'm going next, the game needs some kind of map. It killed my interest, unfortunately.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm losing the fun with it. Currently I'm on the North Coast Bridge and
First you have the soldier with the massive shield who is at least the hardest or second hardest enemy in the game. I don't have a reliable strategy for him. After I made it past him the second wave starts and Ii died instantly.

Get near him, when he attacks with his sword, evade to the other side of him, cause his sword gets stuck on the ground and you can attack him for few seconds, repeat.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm enjoying this game immensely, quite far into it now. The jumping felt weird for like 30 minutes but is fine now, didn't take long to get used to it.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tried this, but it wasn't working all the time. Was still hit a lot. Seems I have to work on the timing. Thanks!

I found what worked best with them is to "double dash". I would shoulder charge (RB) then immediately dash (LB), which avoids getting hit - otherwise, like you, I found I got hit rather more than I expected.

You can get about five hits in before it picks its shield back up and counter-attacks.

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Finished it after taking a break from it since that first day. I stand by my original thoughts after seeing the DeLorean the Creator drives in the real world. I half expected to see Ernest Cline as a consultant in the credits.

Maybe a sequel will improve on the excessive text and unnecessary back-tracking. There's moments where you get a key to go into a single-screen room, only to have text boxes of exposition thrown at you along with a key to another locked room right beside it.

I do have to say, after seeing the credits, all that work for that many people is impressive though.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Just got through with the game, and aesthetically speaking it's straight up INCREDIBLE. Might be one of the most gorgeous and interesting-looking 2D games I've ever played, and I think the overall tone and writing work really well if you get into the whole "Technology and Code told as Myth" approach they're trying to use. The main framing of the Creator losing his memories and that whole plotline really worked for me too for the most part.

The gameplay is alright. It's just deep enough to sustain the runtime and it can feel pretty satisfyingly punchy at times, but it's definitely not the highlight of the game and the combat in general can feel imprecise in spots. The exploration is definitely not similar to a Metroidvania, but rather something more akin to an Adventure game where you need to get around a main stage with different sub-zones that you need to kind of commit to memory; but considering the overall small scope of the game I never really felt that a map was necessary.

I wanted to discuss the ending, though...

What...happened, exactly? The story was pretty straightforward up to that point, with the Digital World being a clear analogy for the Creator's life and the Red stuff being his depression and "bad side" taking over. However, once you beat the final boss and it claims it's going to take over the real world, you come back and you mom looks dead and is bleeding in the arms of the Creator who just says she "fainted". And then you go downstairs into a Delorean with him to take out the Red stuff, and then we get a "To Be Continued".

So, how much of this are we supposed to take literally and how much of the story is about the Creator being possibly Schizophrenic and having a violent episode at the end where he kills your mom? It's established at one point he lost complete touch with reality and started talking about the Digital World as if it was a real place, even going so far as to create a cult based on the Red part of the equation. Even once he got "better" he never stopped treating the whole Trichroma stuff as something real. Is the premise of the story that this is an actual, real place you're liberating as Narita Boy or is the Creator just a psycho?

Anyways, I had a pretty good time with it and would be interested in a follow up for sure. It's an impressive game once you consider it's the first one from these developers.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so the jump and dash section actually becomes a lot more tolerable once I realised you can hold down the rb button to extend the length of your dash 🤦🏻
I just got up to this how the fuck did this section make it into the game. Not only is it not fun, overly long with no breaks in between (as in if you die you start from scratch) it's also too fast and zoomed in so I now feel nauseous lol.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I just got up to this how the fuck did this section make it into the game. Not only is it not fun, overly long with no breaks in between (as in if you die you start from scratch) it's also too fast and zoomed in so I now feel nauseous lol.

If you're talking about the
servo-horse ride
well you have to change the max fps setting in your gpu settings in desktop, nvidia control panel if you have an nvidia gpu. I was playing that scene in 144fps and was stoned because i couldn't see shit. Then a quick google search pointed me at the solution. Battletoads bike scene had shit on that scene in 144fps lol.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the
servo-horse ride
well you have to change the max fps setting in your gpu settings in desktop, nvidia control panel if you have an nvidia gpu. I was playing that scene in 144fps and was stoned because i couldn't see shit. Then a quick google search pointed me at the solution. Battletoads bike scene had shit on that scene in 144fps lol.
Oh yeah this might be it... wow I'll try it out I guess.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
the glove boss sucks an infinite amount of ass, jesus fucking christ

just as i sent this post, the boss bugged out and stood still for me to beat his ass. best bug ever lmao

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. I wish it controlled a little tighter but I enjoyed it as a whole. I'd like to see a follow up for sure!

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Started playing today. Really enjoying the atmosphere and graphics. Really interesting game that I was not expecting to get into so much.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this game. It's not a Metroidvania, to be clear, even though the map has that feel to it. Graphics style, music, tone are all fantastic.

Honestly, I like not having the map to refer to. Things really aren't that complex to find since they give you the objective you can always check to verify what you need to do next.

And the "walls of text" are all good to me. I don't mind reading and the lore really builds the world out better.

Combat is nice too with new power moves being thrown in at a good pace. Jumping does feel floaty but once you get the timing, it's not a problem.

Looking forward to the rest of the game!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the red train and the sequence is annoying due to its length workout saving. Same enemy I had problems with earlier.
Yeah this section was another one that is straight up poorly designed (the first being the infinite runner sequence that glitches out on frame rates higher than 60), the moving elements in the background and foreground just made it difficult to see and for no apparent reason the checkpoint is way longer than previous combat encounters.

I got it on my second go but it was tedious and rough on the eyes.

To be clear: I am otherwise enjoying the game.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The programming references are obnoxious and I am a programmer. I can imagine someone else wondering wtf is this

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
The programming references are obnoxious and I am a programmer. I can imagine someone else wondering wtf is this

The script definitely needs to be refined. As for the programming part, I am not a programmer so in a lot of cases I was exactly WTF does this/that mean, since there are a lot of maybe made up terms for the sake of the whole plot but it has not bothered me much. I just read most of the stuff with the image i created since the beginning 'cute imagination from the devs creating a digital world and giving character to these pixel programs, objects, whatever they are'.

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
Yeah this section was another one that is straight up poorly designed (the first being the infinite runner sequence that glitches out on frame rates higher than 60), the moving elements in the background and foreground just made it difficult to see and for no apparent reason the checkpoint is way longer than previous combat encounters.

I got it on my second go but it was tedious and rough on the eyes.

To be clear: I am otherwise enjoying the game.
I've finally did it and figured out the shield guy. I dodge to late previously. The boss after this is the next annoying sequence.
I never know how many hits a boss can take and it is annoying me because I can't really plan it out.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it, fairly solid 7/10 brought down to a 6/10 due to frustrating visual design (flashing lights, background/foreground getting in the way), lack of d-pad at launch, glitches tied to FPS and a weird ending.

the mum being killed or at least grievously wounded (fainted? what?) and the boy and his dad going off and being like radical! beat em up time! Sequel, wooo! and then a jolly song for the credits just felt very tonally dissonant.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it, fairly solid 7/10 brought down to a 6/10 due to frustrating visual design (flashing lights, background/foreground getting in the way), lack of d-pad at launch, glitches tied to FPS and a weird ending.

I've just completed The Glove part of the game. Are these frustrating visuals with flashing lights and the background/forefround issues after this? I haven't had an issue with any of that to this point. The game is stunning visually to me and I haven't had any issues with the graphics affecting the gameplay.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I've just completed The Glove part of the game. Are these frustrating visuals with flashing lights and the background/forefround issues after this? I haven't had an issue with any of that to this point. The game is stunning visually to me and I haven't had any issues with the graphics affecting the gameplay.
The fight on the train is the big standout but there's a fight on an elevator later on which is similar, not deal breakers just frustrating.

MusicSaves

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the train section now. After I finish the Red House, how much more is there? I know there are like four or five memories left. Enjoying the game but want to finish it before my life is taken over by The Show 21.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Well now. I'm SO conflicted on this game. On the one hand, the visuals and the music are absolutely fantastic. Some of the setpieces are just jaw dropping (the metal coloseum fight is a standout). I thought the combat was OK, nothing more, nothing less. Some boss fights were pretty fun (The Glove in particular) but mostly it was servicable.

On the other hand, the story and the writing is pure ass. Like, this is some of the worst stuff I've seen in a long time. Not only is it verbose and deeply in need of an editor, the themes and the story beats are just atrocious. This is like the ultimate dad game, complete with
dead mothers AND dead wives and children as saviours of terrible fathers.
It is beyond parody. Towards the end I was desperately hoping for some kind of subversion. Clearly this couldn't be going all in with every trope imaginable? Surely they must have a needle drop moment or something? Nope, it just goes there and pretends that this is a story worth telling.

I wanted to discuss the ending, though...

What...happened, exactly? The story was pretty straightforward up to that point, with the Digital World being a clear analogy for the Creator's life and the Red stuff being his depression and "bad side" taking over. However, once you beat the final boss and it claims it's going to take over the real world, you come back and you mom looks dead and is bleeding in the arms of the Creator who just says she "fainted". And then you go downstairs into a Delorean with him to take out the Red stuff, and then we get a "To Be Continued".

So, how much of this are we supposed to take literally and how much of the story is about the Creator being possibly Schizophrenic and having a violent episode at the end where he kills your mom? It's established at one point he lost complete touch with reality and started talking about the Digital World as if it was a real place, even going so far as to create a cult based on the Red part of the equation. Even once he got "better" he never stopped treating the whole Trichroma stuff as something real. Is the premise of the story that this is an actual, real place you're liberating as Narita Boy or is the Creator just a psycho?

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the ending. The only thing that would actually save the story from being a complete waste would be if Lionel was an actual psychopath. Though the game still makes it seem like him and his son are going on another cool adventure together? Which would make it even worse? I don't know man.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this game. Don't have the same complaints as others. Thought it was a blast.

My complaint is it appears you can't go back. I never got the secret room in the blue section for the floppy disk so I could unlock what I assume is another memory. Is there a way to do this without playing the entire game again?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this game. Don't have the same complaints as others. Thought it was a blast.

My complaint is it appears you can't go back. I never got the secret room in the blue section for the floppy disk so I could unlock what I assume is another memory. Is there a way to do this without playing the entire game again?
I don't believe so, I looked up that final memory on youtube and it's not worth worrying about. Unsure if getting that secret memory changes the ending however.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm maybe 30-45 minutes into this and I absolutely hate it.

Jumping feels floaty/slippery. It's not tight or responsive at all.

I never have any clue where I'm supposed to go. Navigating the world to me feels clumsy and unintuitive.

What's worse is that I went to refund the game, but apparently Sony refuses refunds unless the game is "faulty." So I guess I will just get all of my games on PC from now on if that's the case. Steam would have refunded that for me in an instant.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm nearing the end but this game is the literal definition of style over substance.

Like, aesthetically and visually the game has so much going for it, but the actual game tacked on to that is often just a bit of a drag. It has that floaty, imprecise feeling of when you have a fake game within a game that is meant to be a throwaway Easter egg. It weirdly seems like its trying to emulate the feel of classic 16-bit era games while also layering complex, modern control schemes over the top, as well as mixing in an artstyle that, while impressive, often isn't particularly clear or readable.

And, as pretty much everyone has said, the story is extremely weak and way too verbose. I haven't seen the ending yet but I feel I have to ask - is the creator in the game meant to be the actual, real life lead designer? I did a quick Google and there's a passing similarity, but if that's the case it adds an extra level of bleurgh if this is a game about beings worshipping him and his greatness as their God.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
And, as pretty much everyone has said, the story is extremely weak and way too verbose. I haven't seen the ending yet but I feel I have to ask - is the creator in the game meant to be the actual, real life lead designer? I did a quick Google and there's a passing similarity, but if that's the case it adds an extra level of bleurgh if this is a game about beings worshipping him and his greatness as their God.

Not explicitly, though it wouldn't surprise me if it draws on some of his own experiences. My problem is how much of a cliché it is. Male creative dad genius who needs women to anchor him in reality. He is passionate and consumed by his art and has violent tendencies (the red part of the trichoma manifesting inside of him and making him go crazy). His mother/wife/the Mothaboard (basically the same person) are all caring, nurturing and without flaws. The women all die in order to create more (de)motivation for the creative dad genius and progress the plot.

The ending is particularly bad. After defeating HIM and unlocking the last memory, the creative dad genius is saved by his son who restores his memories. He sees the error of his (red) ways and deletes all harmful code from the system, but oh no, the red code/HIM has somehow escaped the constraints of the computer simulation and the wife ends up dead (unclear how). But not to worry, Narita Boy has also escaped from the computer game and is present in the physical world. They dump the dead wife in the demolished house they currently occupy and decide to go on new adventures together, while delivering a cringe worthy Back to the Future reference and hinting at a beat 'em up sequel.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I started this the other day. I'm not very far, just got my animal form, but man... this game is AWESOME. I'm really surprised there's not more hype around it. Everyone should check this out.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I started playing it about a week ago. I'm at the red chapter/area. I'm liking it fine so far, but I don't know if I would have paid the asking price for it (I think it's like $30 CAD). It's fairly linear with not a lot of exploration, so it's actually the perfect Game Pass game as far as I'm concerned.

I have a question for those who've beaten it; is there a way to go back to the yellor or red areas? I missed a secret room and the achievement that's tied to it, but I don't know if I'd want to start all over just to get it and the achievements that are tied to it.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
very enjoyable game with satisfying combat and game mechanics. beat it when it came out and loved all the nods to the 80s as well.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have a question for those who've beaten it; is there a way to go back to the yellor or red areas? I missed a secret room and the achievement that's tied to it, but I don't know if I'd want to start all over just to get it and the achievements that are tied to it.

Unless they patched it, nope, you can't go back to previous areas.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
One of the most aggressively mediocre and boring metroidvania-ish games I have ever played. Everything, from the combat to the platforming to the exploration is serviceable at best, a mess at worst. The technobabble jargon and overly dry, long and boring dialogue seal the deal for me.

It looks pretty damn cool though, such a shame...

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most aggressively mediocre and boring metroidvania-ish games I have ever played. Everything, from the combat to the platforming to the exploration is serviceable at best, a mess at worst. The technobabble jargon and overly dry, long and boring dialogue seal the deal for me.

It looks pretty damn cool though, such a shame...

Happens to a lot of games that are all aesthetic first. It happens so regularly now that any game that catches my eye I'll take a wait and see approach.