• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
JHQyTfK.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Release Date:
March 30th, 2021​
Genre: Hack 'n' slash adventure
Price: $24.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Studio Koba
Publisher: Team17
Size: ~2GB

Aerial+Shotgun.gif

xKq1CLG.png

What is Narita Boy?
Become symphonic in Narita Boy! A radical action-adventure as a legendary pixel hero trapped as a mere echo within the Digital Kingdom. Discover the mysteries behind the Techno-sword, lock swords with the corrupt and tainted Stallions. Save the world!

How long is Narita Boy?
Initial reviews put the game at a 6 to 7 hour range.

Is Narita Boy a Metroidvania?
It has been described by the publisher as "leaning" towards a Metroidvania but that the game is a "hack 'n' slash adventure & platformer." You'll be exploring 4 different areas, picking up abilities as you progress, but you are going through those stages in a linear order and cannot return to one after completing it.

Are there difficulty options?
No, there is only the default option.

Can I turn off the CRT filter?
Yes, elements of it can be toggled off (scanlines).

D-pad support for Narita Boy?
The game launched without it, but the option will be added in a future update.

Is the game enhanced on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X?
TBA

Xbox Play Anywhere?
No, buying the game on Xbox will not get you the game on Windows 10 and vice versa. Progression does not appear to be shared between the two versions of the game.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on both PC and Xbox One. If you are an active member of that service you can play Narita Boy for no extra cost.

Physical release?
The devs describe a physical release as being on their wishlist, but nothing is currently announced.

dmpFPAk.png

ss_2e15841560e510fb9c5946ecdef373b4f3d56186.600x338.jpg
ss_48996f4ccd10de23443efff01eaf6bdf326bc223.600x338.jpg

ss_96e4b4813f3c8788498186de2636ee6c059d7123.600x338.jpg
ss_cee91b3d3862d93adfc49583e07f79e7b4c5691d.600x338.jpg

umEBKlZ.png

Xbox One | PC | Switch
Opencritic

Fingerguns - 9/10
Narita Boy is a feat of imagination, one of the most conceptually interesting games I've ever played. The retro world of the Digital Kingdom – it's pixelart, design and art direction – are some of the most eye-catchingly beautiful ever committed to code. Its soundtrack is mesmerising, truly special synthwave. Narita Boy ends up more than the sum of its parts, going beyond the source code to deliver a game that should take its place alongside the greatest indies.

IGN- 6/10
Narita Boy's extraordinary style and presentation is let down by hollow exploration and one-note combat.

PCGamer - 70/100
Narita Boy's digital twist on a classic fantasy tale is engrossing if a bit disorientating.

AaIaEVF.png

Official Site

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
but you are going through those stages in a linear order and cannot return to one after completing it.
...so not a Metroidvania at all?

Anyways, super excited to check this out! Was going to pick it up on Switch but it's on Game Pass!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
...so not a Metroidvania at all?

Anyways, super excited to check this out! Was going to pick it up on Switch but it's on Game Pass!

There is exploration within those stages, but you cannot go back to a stage you already completed. Certainly elements of that genre, but it makes sense that they pitched the game more as a hack/slash.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm surprised at the IGN review. I really dug the demo that they released. This one is definitely going in my backlog, but will probably jump ahead of a bunch of other games that have been sitting in there longer.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
IGN review is troubling to me because of the one note combat mentioned but I Will def have a go at it for an hour or so on GP and if I like it a lot will stop there and go grab it on Switch fosho

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
The demo had a noticeable amount of input lag, i hope it has been fixed in the full game, it made the controls feel a bit too unresponsive when platforming.

Oct 27, 2017
The demo had a noticeable amount of input lag, i hope it has been fixed in the full game, it made the controls feel a bit too unresponsive when platforming.

I just played a couple of hours and it still feels incredibly sluggish. The story and dialogue weren't for me and the adventuring felt directionless.
Don't imagine I'm going to dip back in.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This caught my attention immediately when I saw it. But I'll be waiting until it's £6 in an eshop sale or something. It sounds a bit too much of a mixed bag.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just played for about 2ish hours, really enjoying it so far. The platforming takes a minute to get a hang of.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I played this for a couple hours on PC via GamePass and was pretty impressed.

The audiovisual presentation is sublime. It's got a cool setting/vibe and the combat/platforming are also pretty good so far. I'm not usually into the Metroidvania type games, but I'm digging this one a lot.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the demo but did have concerns that it would fail to maintain interest for the duration, keen to check it out soon.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I love the atmosphere and setting but the input lag is atrocious. Maybe they'll fix it, and I swear if they say it's a "artistic choice" I'll never touch the game again.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the game doesn't feel super responsive. Game doesn't support superwide which is a bummer. The story is weird not sure I'm into it. The setting and music are cool. I am lost af though. I'm getting carrion vibes where I find the gameplay to be pretty fun but I have no idea where I'm supposed to go and the objectives they give me... well, I have no idea how to get there??

Oh there are a shitload of really fast blinking lights which kind of gives me a headache. Their seizure warning at the beginning of the game is no joke.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Oh there are a shitload of really fast blinking lights which kind of gives me a headache. Their seizure warning at the beginning of the game is no joke.

As I get older, I can't abide by this kind of stuff, seeing as it effortlessly gives me a headache ... 😖

And my prior excitement has taken a nose dive by the lack of movement on d-pad — playing the likes of Olija (criminally overlooked), Gato Roboto and Kero Blaster with the d-pad on the Switch Lite in these past three months makes me hesitant on games with 2D movement that lacks d-pad input.

I am all for style over substance every once in a while — providing that the game plays well — and all this talk of input delay/lag, one-note combat, fast blinking lights and no movement on the d-pad is making me wait for a deep sale.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played it for 2-3 hrs, and this game is just gorgeous, love the style and the music, but it needs improvement here and there. Juming is kinda weird, also moving feels a bit laggy sometimes.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played about an hour. Didn't really hook me. Combat is pretty meh and the constant dialogue is just technobabble nonsense and there's so much of it.

Hats off to them for nailing the style and look though, that part is great. Everything else though is not really that compelling.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Been playing for an hour. I love the style, visuals, atmosphere, music. Just wonderful.

But this isn't a precision platformer - the controls feel laggy due to the animations and effects taking priority over control. And there's way too much text to read! Obviously you can just skip it but it would be nice if it could have been trimmed down and straight to the point.

That said, I want to keep playing to the end because I love its world and atmosphere.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played quite a bit, and love so much about this game, but also dislike much. At one point i just didnt read the text anymore at all, it's just too much, too much memory-hunts, needs to be edited.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a toggle for the CRT filter?
Nintendolife says you can't off it but iirc you can?

Anyway, absurd you can't move with the Dpad, is it analog walking/running then?

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something doesn't add up then lol
Why would they put the CRT Filter as one of the two Cons if it's optional? Doesn't make sense to me

The CRT filter only adds scanlines. The game is framed so that the whole screen looks like a CRT monitor; the edges of the image are curved, and scanlines flicker across the screen throughout the game. It's slightly off-putting, rather than "delightfully retro", to be honest.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Christ I suck at these games. I know it's not really a Metroidvania, but it's close enough that I have the same problem. I get like an hour in and cannot find a way to progress. Had the same issue with SotN and Timespinners.

Can anyone help? I need to
find a techno key in order to visit Baba. I am in the techno-fathers' castle. I have the sword and I can go up and down a couple of elevators, see some priests and run outside the castle to the binary pastures, but no further. There are a few stones that seem to need a techo key, but I just totally seem to be at a dead end.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Christ I suck at these games. I know it's not really a Metroidvania, but it's close enough that I have the same problem. I get like an hour in and cannot find a way to progress. Had the same issue with SotN and Timespinners.

Can anyone help? I need to
find a techno key in order to visit Baba. I am in the techno-fathers' castle. I have the sword and I can go up and down a couple of elevators, see some priests and run outside the castle to the binary pastures, but no further. There are a few stones that seem to need a techo key, but I just totally seem to be at a dead end.
Maybe we're both not very bright but I got stuck at the same spot. I don't think the game explains what to do very well and without a map it's just confusing (especially with how everything is stylized). I went all the way back to the beginning then all the way up and to both sides of the elevator and couldn't find anything to kill or interact with. Not sure what the fuck is going on or what I'm supposed to do 😂

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we're both not very bright but I got stuck at the same spot. I don't think the game explains what to do very well and without a map it's just confusing (especially with how everything is stylized). I went all the way back to the beginning then all the way up and to both sides of the elevator and couldn't find anything to kill or interact with. Not sure what the fuck is going on or what I'm supposed to do 😂
I found something.

At the top of the tower. I think it is past where it tells you about the shotgun. There is one of those red fists on a wall. You can climb that wall.

Edit: yep, that was it. Unclear visual design language ftw.

Last edited: