• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up trying to talk about heightism, people always think it's a joke but to short people it's not. And any normalization of body shaming is not cool

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I gave up trying to talk about heightism, people always think it's a joke but to short people it's not. And any normalization of body shaming is not cool

That's the thing with behaving good on internet. It only works after everyone got the memo that something was bad. They're not going to use any sort of empathy to realize it by themselves.

5'5" here and french, imagine that!

sven

Oct 31, 2017
5'6 is well below average here. It's super rare that I encounter a guy shorter than I am.

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

I dont really get why people are ignoring historical context to achieve the heightism either tbh, ive been playing it off but it is kinda unnecessary to say the least

some of these responses are fucked up. some of y'all are tall, but still not grown up

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why everyone gets so caught up on how tall historic figures were. Who gives a shit if he was short or not it obviously didnt impair him in any way.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
some of these responses are fucked up. some of y'all are tall, but still not grown up

Maybe if I was being serious and personally attacking someone (unless you think I took it too hard on Napoleon), but I was making a hyperbole to mess around. 5'5" is short however lol. Its not average for a guy and it isn't tall. I don't know what else to call it. There's nothing wrong with being short though!

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Good reason to post Wikipedia's list of common misconceptions.

Another contributing factor besides propaganda was Napoleons body guards being relatively tall.

Fun read, but then:

George Washington did not have wooden teeth. His dentures were made of gold, hippopotamus ivory, lead, animal teeth (including horse and donkey teeth), and probably human teeth purchased from slaves.

I... what?

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if I was being serious and personally attacking someone (unless you think I took it too hard on Napoleon), but I was making a hyperbole to mess around. 5'5" is short however lol. Its not average for a guy and it isn't tall. I don't know what else to call it. There's nothing wrong with being short though!

Congratulations, you have the benefit of modern nutrition and medicine. In the 1700s, the average height for men was just over 5'5''. In fact men regressed in height significantly after the Middle Ages and only regained their previous average as of the 20th century.

Fun fact: Lord Nelson was shorter than Boney at 5'4''.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't get why everyone gets so caught up on how tall historic figures were. Who gives a shit if he was short or not it obviously didnt impair him in any way.

It's basically scientifically proven at this point that height does impair your social chance of advancement. He was just one of the few outliers.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
L0tvaV4.jpg
Does that mean Hercules mulligan is also 5'4?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it came from how measurements were different between France and Britain. 5 2 in French measurement was 5 6 -5 7 British.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love how the people making the heightism jokes are backtracking after being called out

("it's just a prank bro!")

Here on Era I guess we only defend SOME of the slighted/underdogs. But short people? Fuck those babies!

I'm 5'9" btw.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Love how the people making the heightism jokes are backtracking after being called out

("it's just a prank bro!")

Here on Era I guess we only defend SOME of the slighted/underdogs. But short people? Fuck those babies!

I'm 5'9" btw.

It's not commonly understood that being short is the most common and socially-accepted way to body-shame men, as it comes from both men and women with great frequency and neither class, race nor geography are impeding factors. I'd say it's pretty close to being as prolific as fat-shaming is for women (exactly how close, I couldn't say), and there are certainly fewer people willing to defend against the practice of height-shaming men.

And if they were "just joking around" at someone else's expense for an aspect of people's bodies that they have no control over (that sounds familiar), I have legit serious doubts that they have truly and fully understood why they shouldn't be allowed to make all the other types of insensitive jabs, other than "because it's not socially acceptable". It's a depressing thought that most social justice is performative only, but not a terribly big surprise, I guess.
But short men haven't made the list of socially-unacceptable targets for punching down at yet, and lord knows some folks can't possibly refrain from punching down. Who knows, they might bring back the hate train for the left-handed next, some of them seem so desperate for someone to take a jab at.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was common knowledge nowadays that he was average height for a Frenchman back then.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Napoleon wasn't short, the ridicule about his height was British propaganda employed to belittle (get it?) him as his successes kept rising and taking advantage of the endearing nickname he had, le petit caporal.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 6'2" and it's not all it's cracked up to be. Most hotel shower heads are at chest level. Whenever I'm in the grocery store people are asking me to get things off the top shelf for them. I always bump my head getting into my car. Also I have size 13 feet and it is hard to find a decent pair of shoes in that size.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Good reason to post Wikipedia's list of common misconceptions.

Another contributing factor besides propaganda was Napoleons body guards being relatively tall.

All humans learn in fundamentally similar ways.[571] In particular, there is no evidence that people have different learning styles,[571] or that catering teaching styles to purported learning styles improves information retention.[572]

I gotta take issue with this because I have seen it in practice with my students.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
He was average height for his time, short by today's standards. But for a leader, he wasn't particularly tall for his time either. That plus the British didn't like losing to the French at all.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
He was average height for his time, short by today's standards. But for a leader, he wasn't particularly tall for his time either. That plus the British didn't like losing to the French at all.

There's a few streets near me that are super old and all the doors are like 5'5 height, walking past them is bizarre. it's crazy how quickly human height's changed.