• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

There has been a rumor for a while that Yoshi P's team has also been working on the next Final Fantasy entry. Could this finally be the confirmation?

Rough google translation:
"Based on the former 5th Business Division, the newly launched 3rd Development Headquarters has launched a new core project following" FINAL FANTASY XIV ", and has begun to challenge the next generation. This project has already finished its initial development, has finished developing its development environment, and is now shifting to a full-scale large-scale development phase.
The new project is looking for developers who will give the world "fun", "fun" and "surprise" together. We are looking forward to your application for the challenge to the world market!

Please look forward to it me if old.

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
If Yoshi-P is making FF16 then this will be the first time I'm hyped for an upcoming FF since Nomura's Versus

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
This isn't a huge surprise, since a bunch of key staff such as writers who worked on FFXIV for 2.0 and 3.0 have been working on something unknown for a few years now. Considering how good FFXIV has been, I'm certainly curious.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
maybe I am thinking of someone else but didn't we know this via a LinkedIn account?

guess it is now official
Edit: It was the FF15 team or someone from there sorry

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah its ff16
since its yoshida i think it has a high chance thats a middle age final fantasy, crossing fingers for Ito and Matsuno

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Aw damn, BD5's secret project finally comes out of the shadow, FF16 is becoming more of a reality. Not completely unexpected that it seems to be next-gen only. Hiroshi Takai for director could be the shot in the arm that FF needs.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
If Yoshi-P is making FF16 then this will be the first time I'm hyped for an upcoming FF since Nomura's Versus
He's probably producing it, but not directing it. Still super exciting though, since XIV staffers have all proven to be very talented folks. I think Yoshida still has 2 expansions of XIV left in him, after Shadowbringers.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome if true.
This isn't a huge surprise, since a bunch of key staff such as writers who worked on FFXIV for 2.0 and 3.0 have been working on something unknown for a few years now. Considering how good FFXIV has been, I'm certainly curious.
I think the surprise here is just that Yoshida is involved too. Iunno, maybe he isn't and he's just speaking as the head of that particular division. SE has a ton of talented employees that haven't been attached to anything for a while though, so that's exciting too.

... It could also be their next online FF, right? I know we're 'only three' expansions into FFXIV, but still, that game initially launched back in 2010, so ~12 years isn't too bad a life for an MMO.

Last edited:

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
please be FFXVI

I don't have the time to play MMO's anymore, as good as FFXIV 2.0 was

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome if true.

I think the surprise here is just that Yoshida is involved too. Iunno, maybe he isn't and he's just speaking as the head of that particular division. SE has a ton of talented employees that haven't been attached to anything for a while though, so that's exciting too.

He's basically the GM running the whole BD5/development 3 unit, and will probably be a producer on the project because of his position. I'm assuming that one of the leads from XIV who moved onto the project will likely be the one directing it. Yoshi-P is still going to be tied up with XIV as his priority for the next 1-2 expansions.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read somewhere that Square Enix is not making another FF MMO any time soon right? In that case, it does look like Naoki Yoshida will be making a singleplayer FFXVI. That could be cool.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Was there any previous new indicating this is FF16 or are people just speculating?

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, Yoshi-P why did you have to let the cat out of the bag? Now the haters will be shitting on SE when this doesn't come out in a year.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Was there any previous new indicating this is FF16 or are people just speculating?

Speculation because of the people who moved onto this project from XIV, and there isn't a lot of AAA next-gen IPs that Square Enix JP can make. DQ and KH have their own development teams, so by process of elimination only FF is left.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
if Yoshi-P and the FFXIV team leave go to do FFXVI, future expansions will be very different than ones before it.
No I think you misunderstand the implication. YoshiP is producing anything that his division makes. It's a big division. The FFXIV team is an evolving team. The team leads who worked on 2.0 and HW left the project after HW's post-game patches, and have been working on a big unannounced project since. Other staff on HW stepped up and were promoted to lead roles and have been carrying Stormblood and Shadowbringers. This arrangement will continue. YoshiP will continue producing and directing XIV expansions. This new project is that one that those older HW leads have been working on.

YoshiP has already said he feels there are 2 more expansions left in him before he would consider stepping aside from the main role of directing FFXIV. So he's not going anywhere anytime soon.