• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah I've never gotten the big deal either. I know they're different things, but it's tough to choose Nando's when there's like a never ending selection of great Peruvian chicken places where I live.

Edit: actually I'm confused, some places seem to list Nando's as Peruvian chicken. I always thought it was Portuguese with some African roots? I realize it's a chain so likely not exactly authentic but does the term "Peri Peri" have any specific cultural meaning?

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've not had it in the US, but I had it out in the UK because me and my GF always joke about "cheeky Nandos"
It wasn't bad for a chain place. Certainly not the best chicken I've had but I would go again if it were somewhere closeby and I was hungry.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Of course it isn't? Why would you think it was any good?

Nando's isn't a meme because it's good, it's a meme because it's the sort of shithole drunk bros go to.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind Nando's. Usually have it when hungover, but yeah bit on the pricey side.

So easy to make yourself at home though, which is what I normally do.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've never gotten the big deal either. I know they're different things, but it's tough to choose Nando's when there's like a never ending selection of great Peruvian chicken places where I live.

Edit: actually I'm confused, some places seem to list Nando's as Peruvian chicken. I always thought it was Portuguese with some African roots? I realize it's a chain so likely not exactly authentic but does the term "Peri Peri" have any specific cultural meaning?

https://www.nandosperiperi.com/explore/what-is-peri-peri
PERi-PERi, also known as the African Bird's Eye Chilli, is the key to our legendary, flame-grilled PERi-PERi chicken. It's grown in the African soil, so the magic starts from the ground up. It tastes amazing, but the benefits don't stop there...
Nando's originated in South Africa, but we grow our PERi-PERi throughout Southern Africa—especially in Mozambique. Responsibility is core to our business, so we choose to empower more than 1,400 farmers by growing our own PERi-PERi across nearly 500 acres in the region. PERi-PERi is an important part of Mozambique's history, as the sauce reflects the blend of cultures present in the country for centuries. PERi-PERi chicken eventually made its way across the border to South Africa, but it all started in Mozambique.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
It's a solid chain option. Their butternut burger with Hot is pretty good.

Don't go often, but it's a nice group option, or something I get if staying away with work etc...

The peri-salted chips are rip-off Hull 'American chip spice' but still great.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like you can't complain about fast food chain quality, you know what you're in for.

And you don't walk in to them when you want a nice meal, they're there for a quick bite if you walk on an empty stomach or am on your way home from a night of clubbing.

The burgers, fries or chicken is bad yes but ar that point I don't care because I need something in my stomach.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
The whole point of nandos is to douse everything in their sauces and marinades, why go if you just order it plain and dry? Of course all you'll get is basic grilled chicken that you've now overpaid for.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's way too expensive but it's wonderful, I have no idea what you're talking about. Get the garlic sauce.

Nandoca's Choice <3

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Their sauce is great, I enjoy grilling my own chicken and smothering it in their sauce rather than eating in as quality can vary wildly depending on how busy they are and how interested the person cooking is at the moment you place your order.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Nando's in Toronto isn't too bad if any of y'all are in Toronto and want to see what the fuss is all about.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Their Garlic Peri Peri sauce is heavenly

41uxFBwU-RL.jpg

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's OK. It's consistent and decent but overrated by Stans - a bit like Chick Fil A and In N Out - both good to great, but hyperbole off the charts sometimes.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I loved Nandos when I was living in a place that had one.

Now I'm curious about the real thing, must be delicious.
To be fair, it started in South Africa, not Portugal but it's basically based on our rotisserie chicken with Piri-piri hot sauce.

Dunno how Nando's grills the chicken but typically we grill ours over coal fire for about 30 minutes and then apply an olive oil based sauce with piri-piri peppers mixed in.

When properly done, the meat is tender and juicy and the sauce is really more of an enhancer than a necessity. I typically eat it with regular olive oil based sauce without piri-piri.

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno how Nando's grills the chicken but typically we grill ours over coal fire for about 30 minutes and then apply an olive oil based sauce with piri-piri peppers mixed in.

Nandos cooks its chicken in an oven and then grills it for about 30 seconds with whatever sauce you ordered.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah Nandos is a fast food restaurant so needs the chicken ready to serve. It also can't take any chances when cooking the chicken, and roasting is close to foolproof.
Haha, yeah I guess. On a good day, how long do you wait from order to delivery?

It's always recommended to call the chicken place at least an hour before picking up the order or you'll be waiting close to that if the place is packed but sometimes you get lucky and you can just take a chicken home without pre-ordering.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
User banned (2 days): needless hostility against another member
It's autocorrect for someone with dyslexia fuckwit
Oh fuck off is it, you just got caught out. Dumbfuck.

Where did you go? Glad you enjoyed our piri-piri better.
Hey! We went to Faro - pretty nice, as far as I expected it to be, to visit some family who were out there. Unbelievably hot - I'm burned to bits, but friendly peeps and stuff. Cockroaches though.. wow. They get biiiiiig over there!

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh fuck off is it, you just got caught out. Dumbfuck.

Hey! We went to Faro - pretty nice, as far as I expected it to be, to visit some family who were out there. Unbelievably hot - I'm burned to bits, but friendly peeps and stuff. Cockroaches though.. wow. They get biiiiiig over there!
Oh fuck, yeah. They get stupid big, I remember spending some extended vacation time in Quarteira and the fuckers were everywhere.

I'm not from that region but I don't imagine their grilled chicken is much different from ours so it's still gonna be hot fire.

Next time come to Elvas and I'll show you round, eh?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Canadian here, I tried it last year for the first time and didn't see anything exceptional in their chicken. I ordered 3 different flavors just to get a good sample size, and was disappointed. Probably the most disappointing chicken I had since I tried Jollibee's.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
Oh fuck, yeah. They get stupid big, I remember spending some extended vacation time in Quarteira and the fuckers were everywhere.

I'm not from that region but I don't imagine their grilled chicken is much different from ours so it's still gonna be hot fire.

Next time come to Elvas and I'll show you round, eh?
it's a date! everyone I have to say was super friendly even if my Portuguese is.. somewhat lacking! also pasteis de nata? ugh.. they are like crack cocaine - I could eat them till I was sick, I literally had to stop buying them otherwise I'd eat all the pack.