• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if she was an inspiration for Kaki King. I get vibes.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
She's one of the greats for sure.
You could technically say someone is better, but IMO at that level she's at its mostly opinion.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Greatest could be defined by so many metrics and within so many styles; the best metal guitarist is unlikely to be the best jazz guitarist, for example. If we're talking technique and sheer skill on the instrument, we're going to have a different conversation than who we think emotes the best or creates the best compositions. Personally, as a guitarist, I wouldn't put Nancy Wilson up there. She's a great guitarist, but greatest? Not in my book. I'm far more impressed with guitarists like Andy Mckee, Charo, Paul Gilbert, Tosin Abasi, Ichika Nito, Tim Henson, Syu, or Joe Pass.

www.youtube.com

Andy McKee - Art of Motion

Music video by Andy McKee performing Art of Motion. 4,623 (C) 2009 Razor and Tie, LLC

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
youtu.be

Joe Pass - "Ain't Misbehavin'"

Joe Pass Solo on the Oscar Peterson and Friends BBC Prog. The guitar is his D'Aquisto.

I also think Eric Johnson, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola and Frank Zappa are amazing. I think it'd be silly to choose one in the world as the best generally. I just couldn't do it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea who she is, but as a beginner guitarist, I'm bout to become acquainted, this is impressive.

OP
OP
grmltr

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest could be defined by so many metrics and within so many styles; the best metal guitarist is unlikely to be the best jazz guitarist, for example. If we're talking technique and sheer skill on the instrument, we're going to have a different conversation than who we think emotes the best or creates the best compositions. Personally, as a guitarist, I wouldn't put Nancy Wilson up there. She's a great guitarist, but greatest? Not in my book. I'm far more impressed with guitarists like Andy Mckee, Charo, Paul Gilbert, Tosin Abasi, Ichika Nito, Tim Henson, Syu, or Joe Pass.

www.youtube.com

Music video by Andy McKee performing Art of Motion. 4,623 (C) 2009 Razor and Tie, LLC

- YouTube

- YouTube

youtu.be

Joe Pass Solo on the Oscar Peterson and Friends BBC Prog. The guitar is his D'Aquisto.

I also think Eric Johnson, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola and Frank Zappa are amazing. I think it'd be silly to choose one in the world as the best generally. I just couldn't do it.

ew

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Incredibly dismissive and rude given that I've provided guitarists with numerous styles of playing, and you surely didn't know them all or listen to them all in that amount of time. You created a thread seemingly about the greatest guitarist, and I put time and effort into sharing my own thoughts on this. I thought you wanted a conversation, but if you're not open to listening to other incredible musicians, have a good one.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I love her playing. She and Lindsey Buckingham from the same time period were underrated.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Nancy Wilson is incredible, I saw Heart a couple of years ago and she still fucking destroyed on guitar.

One of my absolute favorite songs in general. Nancy is only on rhythm and acoustic on this track but goddamn it's so good.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

- YouTube

- YouTube

youtu.be

I only discovered Henson a few months ago. That kid is bonkers creative.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
she's a beast, but allow me to throw this vid I just found for the first time recently in here

completely blew my doors

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I love her, I'd def put her in the top 500 somewhere but not greatest, I think Roger Fisher from Heart is better tbh.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Wilson might be the most powerful female vocalist of all time. They are incredible.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No idea who she is, but as a beginner guitarist, I'm bout to become acquainted, this is impressive.

She and her sister front the band Heart. So, if you ever turn on a classic rock station, you are guaranteed to hear a couple of their songs every day. Probably Barracuda, Magic Man, and Crazy on You.

Last edited:

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
she's a beast, but allow me to throw this vid I just found for the first time recently in here

completely blew my doors

Awh, I was just gonna throw some Tommy at all of you! Beat me to it. Another extremely underrated, at least by the "common man", artist.

He's in the same sort of style as Nancy, but technically more advanced.

Gotta love Nancy's tone and phrasing though. A lot more than technical prowess goes into being great.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
She's not the greatest but she's incredibly talented and one of the most underrated mainstream guitarists out there. When people think of Heart they rarely think of the sheer talent that band has.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
I watched her play live from the front row at a small venue and I was in a trance just watching her play Magic Man.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Howard Leese is probably more underrated than Nancy, The dude played many signature Heart lines but never gets credit. One of the first guitarists to use PRS Guitars and put the brand on the map too.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Nancy Wilson is incredible, I saw Heart a couple of years ago and she still fucking destroyed on guitar.

One of my absolute favorite songs in general. Nancy is only on rhythm and acoustic on this track but goddamn it's so good.

I love this song. So much funk/groove through the beginning and then the dip into psychedelia towards the end? Chef's kiss.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nancy Wilson's Elevator Beat is one of the most beautiful guitar pieces I've ever heard.

My current favorite is this crazy cover of careless whisper. Dude tunes his guitar on the fly mid note.