• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
The longer this hangs over his head, the more unhinged he'll get. Anyone who's saying impeachment was useless hasn't been paying attention.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Not from the US but how would that work? Would the democrats take control of the Senate immediately after the election? And would that mean Pence takes over for the remaining months of Trump's term?

Newly elected members of Congress get sworn in the same day the President-Elect does, January 20th.

So there is about a 2.5 month period in between the election results and the actual claiming of the seats.

I think he's suggesting that the GOP now with nothing to lose will dump Trump and make Pence president for the last two months. I can't see it happening but let's see how the election goes and how good/bad it is for the GOP as that could change things.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Thank you I get it now, I thought the two were linked.

Now I'm more optimistic.

yeah they are playing dirty bc the other side is clearly just voting for the party.

I'm not sure they want the impeachment to hang with no response so maybe it pressures them to agree to some of the democrats terms idk

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Newly elected members of Congress get sworn in the same day the President-Elect does, January 20th.

So there is about a 2.5 month period in between the election results and the actual claiming of the seats.

I'm pretty sure the new congress takes their seats earlier in January, like the first week.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know this was an option. The fact that it is makes this a very smart move.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
So wait, if say, Trump gets re-elected, but the senate goes democratic on the next election, could he then be removed almost immediately on his second term?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So wait, if say, Trump gets re-elected, but the senate goes democratic on the next election, could he then be removed almost immediately on his second term?
Need 66 votes in the Senate. Beyond that Rs losing Senate and winning the Presidency is HIGHLY (Less than Trump's chances of winning in 2016) unlikely. Rs retaining senate and Ds winning presidency is more likely to occur.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My god are we going to just talk impeachment till fall 2020? Trump is gonna lose anyway they could get something done in the meantime.

Yeah, because pushing it through to the sham senate is going to make them suddenly care about doing anything besides shoving a bunch of unqualified judges through during the lame duck session. No wonder republicans get away with so much, dems can't even wipe their asses without someone worried about how it'll benefit the other party.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Nine pages later and I still don't think this matters. Republicans will win the info war. They always do (and already have on impeachment, considering flailing support).

And to the person who compared this to Garland, um, no? Dems won't get anything for this. Repubs got a lifetime justice.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
I don't like the precedent this sets. What's to stop a Republican-controlled House from sending articles over after they've impeached a Democratic President until they have a more favorable position in a Senate Trial?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe the GOP should just cooperate and let witnesses testify? Why should we have a trial where witnesses aren't allowed to appear?

Republican stonewalling and shitposting has become the new status quo. Democrats asking people to follow the rules is the new bipartisan. Graham and McConnell held press conferences this morning complaining that it was unconstitutional bullshit that they aren't allowed to do whatever they want.

I don't like the precedent this sets. What's to stop a Republican-controlled House from sending articles over after they've impeached a Democratic President until they have a more favorable position in a Senate Trial?

We're past the point where Republicans threatening to act in bad faith has any meaning. The entire impeachment process has been them acting in bad faith. The entire Russia investigation when they controlled both houses of Congress was conducted in bad faith. The Benghazi and email investigations opened over and over and over again were in bad faith. The calls to impeach Hillary on day 1 and to contest the election results were in bad faith. Withholding a Supreme Court seat for half a year was in bad faith. Rubber stamping unqualified people to be judges just because of right wing loyalty pledges is bad faith. Confirming the likes of Sessions, Barr, Devos, and Pruitt was bad faith.

The party as it currently exists is fundamentally broken and built to exploit power structures by design. Between the Voting Rights Act and the current impeachment trial, 1 Republican congressman voted against the party. Following norms when they've abandoned all pretexts of trying to govern will just get you a boot in the face. Or as its so often put, Lucy pulling the football away. Again.

Last edited:

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Won't happen, too many seats are required, however with a simple majority, Trump would never be able to say he was acquitted.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% on board with this strategy.

They are trying to override congress powers of impeachment which is constitutional and the vote has already happened. Anything they try will be challenged and will only delay the senate trial even more. The SCOTUS is cornered too because they aren't going to move quick as they are already dragging out other cases and moving this up will show the federalists right wingers true colors like they did in Gore v Bush. Please proceed

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Republicans already set the precedent by all the stonewalling they did in Obama's last year. This is a case of Pelosi giving them a taste of their own medicine more than anything. It shows the Democrats are finally starting to play by the Republicans' rules, and it's long overdue.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
They'll stop protecting Trump the moment it's no longer politically convenient for them to do so. Him losing the election would be an indication of that.

But yes, it's unlikely to happen.

If Mitch was thinking logically, he would realize that the rulings for tax subpoenas will come from the Supreme Court in June right before an election. He has to realize it will be bad for Trump in there. Now he can pretend to fight against witnesses for the Senate trial for the benefit of his base. If he then let's witnesses testify how we all think they will and confirm the abuse of power, Trump can be removed and Pence or someone else get's some time to be a candidate with a slight chance of winning in November without a more damaged Trump pulling down the numbers.

At least I tell myself this to feel better about how craven the Republican's have become.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, This is absurd concern trolling imo.

Have you missed Republicans demolishing norms left and right over the last couple decades, especially in the last five or so?

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I've seen most of the pros and cons surrounding this and I don't think it really changes much.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
They don't like it when they have to deal with their own tactics. Going to be a lot of red faces for a while.

Good.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
User warned: community generalizations
That's a big win. There's honestly not much to be done regarding the Senate votes. This is a good move. IDK why you don't get that.
Because it's one headline away from being framed as "Dems refuse to advance because he's innocent and they know it and it's all a sham." Anything that easily defused isn't brilliant.

This is a next-level circle-jerk, even for Era. And it's not even a Marvel thread.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's one headline away from being framed as "Dems refuse to advance because he's innocent and they know it and it's all a sham." Anything that easily defused isn't brilliant.

This is a next-level circle-jerk, even for Era. And it's not even a Marvel thread.
You don't understand that they were going to use some bullshit, antagonistic headline anyway??