• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I didn't do that, and it's incredibly clear I didn't do that.

I understand it feels good to vent your pent up and well-deserved frustrations, but I am not your enemy, and frankly neither is Pelosi.

But the GOP feeds off of Democrat/leftist infighting. We wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't take nibbles of our own every now and then.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I get that and honestly that's logical, but at the end of they day you can always just call the vote. See who is actually willing to take a stand against a lawless president.

Calling a vote that'll make headlines across the world only to see it fall flat because not enough reps support it would be a weapon-grade PR disaster for the dems that no sane party leader would risk. If Pelosi were to eventually call for an impeachment vote, it'd be almost certain she'd already have collected commitments from her caucus members ahead of time.

meanwhile Mitch McConell makes 3/3'ds of the Republican Party vote in lockstep with his every move.

FeelsBadMan

Well, except for that one time McCain torpedoed his ACA-repeal bill and the entire world started making Nelson Muntz noises at him. Pelosi will try to avoid that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Well, except for that one time McCain torpedoed his ACA-repeal bill and the entire world started making Nelson Muntz noises at him. Pelosi will try to avoid that.
Also McConnell has like the easiest job in the world because Republicans have no positive agenda, so he's rarely ever had to actually whip to pass bills - ACA repeal going down in flames exemplifies that greatly.

He got Republicans to agree to cut taxes. Big whoop. And even that still had a ton of sturm und drang attached to it that a more competent leader could have avoided.

They can agree on cutting taxes and they can agree on appointing right-wing assholes to the judiciary, and that's it. That's McConnell's entire legislative agenda from top to bottom.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some of us are members of Congress? I could be sitting in session right now, bored and frustrated because my fucking chickenshit Dem House leadership is letting the president get away with literal fucking crimes because she's scared about a few racist purple state voters?

Matt has some... interesting criteria for who should be able to discuss politics on EtcEra.
I don't understand the "letting him get away with it" stuff. Is a prosecutor who doesn't bring a case because they don't think they can get a conviction "letting people get away with it?" Because that's the scenarios here. To make the risk of an impeachment vote worth it you need a political situation where instead of sending an impeachment vote up to the Senate that, instead of putting Senators like Manchin in a catch-22 where they either piss off their red districts or piss off the Dems, you instead have it put Senators like Collins in a Catch-22, where they either piss off the mainstream electorate or the GOP base.

It was not clear whether the latter would be the case at the end of this process prior to a few days ago.
There was contention over this both inside and outside the party - my position was previously that the actual vote wasn't worth anything, you wanted endless hearings to leverage it politically, with the actual vote being an afterthought and possibly something you didn't want to do because of the messaging on it during the election. The Ukraine Scandal completely altered the political calculus on this as it's got virtually all the qualities you need to sell this to the public and make the latter option above a real, tangible possibility. Thankfully, the majority of the caucus, even the ones most vulnerable if this were to go south politically, seem to agree with that.
So then what the hell has the Judiciary Committee been doing, if not this? This is the problem with their messaging....on the face of it, I'm not even sure what this means.
It's likely that this will focus exclusively on the Ukraine situation instead of the stuff Judiciary's been working on and be a select committee (temporary mega committee.)

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Wow, huge news. People are acting as thought this is nothing, but a forceful statement sets Trump up for some damaging further action if he doesn't shape up immediately.

This is just the first forceful statement. Two more and Trump will receive a citation. Five citations, and he's looking at a violation. Four of those and he'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and he's looking at a written warning. Two of those will land him in a world of hurt, in the form of a disciplinary review, written by Pelosi herself, and placed on the desk of her immediate superior.

LOL

So if this is getting announced, why is this not major news all over?

Because all the major media outlets are complicit in bootlicking Trump

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can see all of the news outlets posting their version of the "expectation", even marketwatch posted one just now. Should be an interesting evening for sure.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
OK I'm watching CNN and it's finally being mentioned. lol

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have worked in Congress.

And the level of heat a playful sarcastic quip has elicited here is a fine example of just how far beyond the pale this discussion has become.

Nancy Pelosi hasn't avoided impeachment because she loves Trump, or because she's stupid, or because she's a coward. She has resisted it because she honestly believed it would do more political damage to Democrats than to Republicans. And since there was no chance the Senate would vote to remove Trump, that makes it, in her determination, a bad move, both politically and for the prospects of liberal policies in the future.

You can disagree with her on that front, and you should absolutely voice those disagreements. But the abject vilification of a woman who has spent her life fighting for progressive causes and the American people is, frankly, both unhelpful and incredibly disturbing. And I don't mind saying so.
Then maybe you can start by not starting off such an observation by passively aggressively telling people theyre stupid if you dont want the reactions youve gotten from everyone in here, which least of all should be expected from a moderator.

And the vilification for this woman is coming from her present actions, such as, oh idk, willingly funding concentration camps, throwing democratic freshmen under the bus for wanting the party to do more, refusing to actually do everything in her power to impede Trump. You dont get to tout what a great progressive youve been in the past when youre responsible for the aforementioned actions which trample on many of the causes she wants to champion when it suits her.

Yeah, I didn't do that, and it's incredibly clear I didn't do that.

I understand it feels good to vent your pent up and well-deserved frustrations, but I am not your enemy, and frankly neither is Pelosi.
Pelosi is absolutely 100% an enemy. Shes a fake ally whose not only complicit in helping the Trump administration but an active agent in helping it succeed. Shes the fox Malcolm X told us about.

Status
Not open for further replies.