• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, huge news. People are acting as thought this is nothing, but a forceful statement sets Trump up for some damaging further action if he doesn't shape up immediately.

This is just the first forceful statement. Two more and Trump will receive a citation. Five citations, and he's looking at a violation. Four of those and he'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and he's looking at a written warning. Two of those will land him in a world of hurt, in the form of a disciplinary review, written by Pelosi herself, and placed on the desk of her immediate superior.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wow, huge news. People are acting as thought this is nothing, but a forceful statement sets Trump up for some damaging further action if he doesn't shape up immediately.

This is just the first forceful statement. Two more and Trump will receive a citation. Five citations, and he's looking at a violation. Four of those and he'll receive a verbal warning. Keep it up, and he's looking at a written warning. Two of those will land him in a world of hurt, in the form of a disciplinary review, written by Pelosi herself, and placed on the desk of her immediate superior.

That's what happens when the people vote for more politicians in congress who want to give Trump a pass than punish him. Pelosi has her flaws as a politican and a leader, but she can't change how many terrible politicians are elected. America has spoken and they want Trump not to be impeached or convicted. It's infuriating.

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta love how Nancy is always trailing well behind.

Trump openly admitted to what is very obviously an impeachable offense, so now she's definitely ready to.... allow an investigation to investigate the thing Trump's admitted to doing.

It's almost like she's trying to procedurally stall in order to keep from having to do the right thing.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She's done everything in her power to try and talk people out of impeachment. If she flips tomorrow, she doesn't get a pat on the back for doing her fucking job after kicking and screaming the whole way.
Oh absolutely not. Leadership is not about doing right when its popular ... it's about doing it even when it's unpopular and leading others to do the right thing. She gets no props from me for doing something long overdue.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when the people vote for more politicians in congress who want to give Trump a pass than punish him. Pelosi has her flaws as a politican and a leader, but she can't change how many terrible politicians are elected. America has spoken and they want Trump not to be impeached or convicted. It's infuriating.

Which is... Proving our point. She believes it's not a risk worth taking. At least, to this point.

Again I'll believe it when I see it.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nancy Pelosi May Issue Forceful Statement Against Rabid Hyena

Sources familiar with the matter have stated that Nancy Pelosi is contemplating issuing a statement of firm resolve against the rabid hyena that got loose in the House chamber late last night.

"The screams of our comrades are too much to bear," Pelosi reportedly said as an intern was savagely mauled mere feet from her lectern. "This peril must be stopped quickly, forcefully, and with great haste. We will not falter. We must not lack resolve. And, I assure my fellow Americans, we will triumph over the hyena!"

Another statement is reportedly scheduled for next week.

Nov 2, 2017
It's not a risk when you know the outcome that you're going to fail.

If it's going to fail in the House, that's a useful vote. It gives us a list of people with D affiliations that it's time to primary.

If it's going to fail in the Senate, that's also a useful vote. It becomes fodder for tying each and every last Republican Senator to Trump and demonstrating that literally nothing is going to get between them and their love of Trump. (And if any Democrats are stupid enough to vote the same, then they get to go on the list I mentioned above.)

Either way, they should proceed. You can say "but it won't pass the Senate", but that's not stopping the House from passing legislation that's obviously DOA the minute it hits the Senate. If the bar for doing anything was "only if it can pass the Senate", then the House would be doing absolutely nothing, and yet they're not. It's enough to make you think that Pelosi just really, really doesn't want to do it.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
This could actually be a very big deal. It's long overdue but this indicates a shift in the winds that makes a formal impeachment more likely.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
which was why people liked her. Yet she's not trying to whip votes towards impeachment and has in fact derided those who disagree with her and made statements making impeachment come off like a pipe dream. It's almost as if your point works for you when you want, and yet you ignore it when it points out her obvious weakness in controlling the Democrats (the majority of whom at this time support impeachment).
But it's not like she has magic mind control powers. She got the Affordable Care Act through the moderate democrats by convincing them that even though it would likely cost them their seats due to GOP attack ads, it would be worth it long term. That the Act would become a popular program for the Democrats to leverage later on. And she was right, both in that the 2010 election was a massacre for the Democrats and lost them control of the house and her her speakership, and that long term Obamacare became a positive for the Dems.

Can you say the same about impeachment? That blowing it all on a trial where the Trump admin and the senate GOP will do nothing but stonewall and obstruct, and the outcome of acquittal on all points is certain. Is it worth potentially imperiling control of the house for that? I doubt the No Labels/Problem Solvers Caucus guys think so, and without their support Pelosi can't do shit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how Nancy is always trailing well behind.

Trump openly admitted to what is very obviously an impeachable offense, so now she's definitely ready to.... allow an investigation to investigate the thing Trump's admitted to doing.

It's almost like she's trying to procedurally stall in order to keep from having to do the right thing.
Trailing behind is how parliamentary leaders work. They can whip tight margins on votes, they can't go full steam ahead of where the caucus is actually at, and the caucus has been heavily divided.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

lmfao

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It seems to me that, perhaps, on the condition that she exhibits the sensitivity and decorum that the gravity of the occasion requires, it may behoove Nancy Pelosi to consider preparing to contemplate the eventual advisability of issuing a mildly to moderately chastening remark about the president's alleged conduct.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not like she has magic mind control powers. She got the Affordable Care Act through the moderate democrats by convincing them that even though it would likely cost them their seats due to GOP attack ads, it would be worth it long term. That the Act would become a popular program for the Democrats to leverage later on. And she was right, both in that the 2010 election was a massacre for the Democrats and lost them control of the house and her her speakership, and that long term Obamacare became a positive for the Dems.

Can you say the same about impeachment? That blowing it all on a trial where the Trump admin and the senate GOP will do nothing but stonewall and obstruct, and the outcome of acquittal on all points is certain. Is it worth potentially imperiling control of the house for that? I doubt the No Labels/Problem Solvers Caucus guys think so, and without their support Pelosi can't do shit.

how am I supposed to give an answer about the hypothetical future effects of inaction today? I think her refusal to lead on this has caused harm and we may well feel that harm for some time. There's no real way for one of us to say definitively who is right yet.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that, perhaps, on the condition that she exhibits the sensitivity and decorum that the gravity of the occasion requires, it may behoove Nancy Pelosi to consider preparing to contemplate the eventual advisability of issuing a mildly to moderately chastening remark about the president's alleged conduct.

I think you can apply as PR for the democrats

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think her refusal to lead on this has caused harm and we may well feel that harm for some time.
as someone who has actually served as a legislative aide, leading on this literally is not her job

e: alright can we please get an actual contextual title/OP before we hit 150 steaming hot takes from people who clearly haven't read past the headline

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

AngryRequiredAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

You had me in the first half, not gonna lie lmfaooooooo

Dec 22, 2017
If it's going to fail in the House, that's a useful vote. It gives us a list of people with D affiliations that it's time to primary.

If it's going to fail in the Senate, that's also a useful vote. It becomes fodder for tying each and every last Republican Senator to Trump and demonstrating that literally nothing is going to get between them and their love of Trump. (And if any Democrats are stupid enough to vote the same, then they get to go on the list I mentioned above.)

Thank you.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Good lord, going directly from watching Greta Thunberg's speech to reading this news gave me so much whiplash.

Okay, old people, time to shuffle out of all of your positions of power now, that's enough out of you. Go bathe in your money and let people who give a modicum of a shit handle it from here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Cut from the same pragmatic cloth of people that get lost in the 4D chess match the D's are playing against themselves

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But guys, I was told you're a sexist if you don't support Nancy Pelosi!

This isn't needed. Sexism is a thing, and was definitely part of the hate against her originally.

Lol

julian

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who has actually served as a legislative aide, leading on this literally is not her job

e: alright can we please get an actual contextual title/OP before we hit 150 steaming hot takes from people who clearly haven't read past the headline

So two points:

1) I was criticizing somebody who says she deserves all the credit for leading on healthcare, but then ignores her lack of leading on this. So, you can't have it both ways. Either she's able to lead things that don't have the votes, or she's not. You can't argue both things.

2) she has actively pushed against impeachment and criticized those saying it should happen now. So she can't lead people to impeachment, but she can publicly push people away from it? That's a form of leading.

I'm glad we seem to be reaching the tipping point.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
After everything Trump has done all gloves should be off by now, yet Pelosi is still just warming up.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Dwight Shrewdt up in here spitting truth bombs!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly cant stop laughing at "is contemplating" issuing a strong statement. Like a strong statement is entirely a nothing, lip service gesturet that accomplishes nothing. The fact she cant even do that without having to seriously think it over is just the perfect embodiement of who this woman really is.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm. "Statement against Trump" vs "statement endorsing impeachment" are two very different things. The OP makes it seem like Pelosi is simply going to rebuke the President in some sort of press release, whereas the actual article implies she's about to announce her support for impeachment due to mounting pressure from now even fellow moderates and vulnerable swing state Democrats.

There's so much to criticize her for. She should have initiated proceedings ages ago. Slanting the discussion with slightly misleading thread titles isn't necessary, though.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Either way, they should proceed. You can say "but it won't pass the Senate", but that's not stopping the House from passing legislation that's obviously DOA the minute it hits the Senate. If the bar for doing anything was "only if it can pass the Senate", then the House would be doing absolutely nothing, and yet they're not.

Politicians rely on looking strong to their constituents, your stance would do this for candidates running for president and the outsiders like Justice Democrats. That move would make them look strong, it won't for House leadership. It's not like that is news for anyone who has followed politics once Trump to elected. Everyone knows what he's done and whether the GOP support him and they do. Brazenly.

Sacrifice by itself won't do anything significant, all that does is make you weaker while the other guy lives to fight another day. That's why getting him out at the ballot box is less risky and shows more strength to the populace.

Those bills passing can be framed as progress, that's not the same as impeachment.

It's enough to make you think that Pelosi just really, really doesn't want to do it.

No politician wants to be caught looking weak on the national stage, and you're asking Pelosi to sacrifice herself for nothing.

Leaders lead.

We need leaders

The context is how political leaders lead in parliaments and congresses, and they don't do it like that. However, there are people in leadership who can: you want Adam Schiff to do that, the House Intelligence Chairman.

You're more than welcome to primary and challenge her Speakership elections, of course. I suggest next time the left put someone up there to fight unlike in '19. Something which has been missing from these threads, as though a nameless saviour will materialise out of nowhere and solve everyones problems with her leadership.

how am I supposed to give an answer about the hypothetical future effects of inaction today? I think her refusal to lead on this has caused harm and we may well feel that harm for some time. There's no real way for one of us to say definitively who is right yet.

You're not operating on nothing, you have plenty of modern history to come to a conclusion. This is a skill politicians have to use regularly or they end up not being politicians.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trailing behind is how parliamentary leaders work. They can whip tight margins on votes, they can't go full steam ahead of where the caucus is actually at, and the caucus has been heavily divided.
I think a lot of criticism of her handling stems not just from her failure to lead, Kiblar. She hasn't waited for her caucus to reach consensus while quietly whipping votes in the background. She's been actively resisting, in the public sphere, the idea of holding the President accountable. It's been a frustrating, demoralizing pattern of behavior. I was somewhat an ardent defender of Pelosi back when she won her Speakership, but I've only been disappointed since.

She's dropped the ball, and even if the thread title is misleading, the anger and derision being directed at her is mostly deserved.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Its sad when 2 of the funniest posts I've seen on Era this week are in this thread making fun of democrats. Sigh.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of criticism of her handling stems not just from her failure to lead, Kiblar. She hasn't waited for her caucus to reach consensus while quietly whipping votes in the background. She's been actively resisting, in the public sphere, the idea of holding the President accountable. It's been a frustrating, demoralizing pattern of behavior. I was somewhat an ardent defender of Pelosi back when she won her Speakership, but I've only been disappointed since.

She's dropped the ball, and even if the thread title is misleading, the anger and derision being directed at her is mostly deserved.
Whipping votes is not something you do when it's a hard no from all the people in vulnerable districts and you have a competitive election coming up. There were not 200+ votes for impeachment, it was at 155ish, I believe.

Unsurprisingly, all those people in vulnerable districts are all starting to change their minds on the approach here given that this is as clean a circumstance as you're going to get, and lo and behold, Pelosi's magically starting to turn around, almost like she was responsive to her most vulnerable incumbents in this or something. Crazy, I know, right?

The reason you asked people to throw themselves on their sword in 2009 was because there was no future house majority. They were going to lose it no matter what. That is not the situation here.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
c2c18ce263.png

I thought that's why you guys wanted? An investigation into whether or not to impeach trump? Or was that just a lie?

She shouldn't be "endorsing" an impeachment investigation. She should be the leading voice demanding it, not the last one on board, nursing her twisted arm.

But yes, fuck it. I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.