• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what you need to do, while doing so as safely as possible.

I would think this would make her a hero of the freedom loving let's get back to normal peeps, but trying to use it as ammo in a battle of hypocrisy works too, I guess...

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This just feeds into the Trumpian belief that masks aren't helpful - if even our Democratic leaders can't lead by example, why bother?

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
What an idiot. Why would you do something that is so blatantly stupid after your political party has become the "pro-mask" side on what shouldn't be a debate at all?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is personally upsetting because my mom is a hairstylist in California and this has been an incredibly stressful year for her, but why did they let her take her mask off in the first place? Just refuse service.

Actually, they're saying they shouldn't have even been operating indoors, so why were they? Why exactly is the owner sending security footage from his own store breaking the rules?

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going for a hair wash during a pandemic is ... no words.

Why do we need to have a haircut so badly?

I know she's heavily scrutinized and a public figure, but there's got to be alternatives than going to get a haircut.
lots of people are getting haircuts

lots of people are giving haircuts

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I may have criticisms of my rep, but I'm not going to join the right on harping on this. She wears a mask most of the time, advocates for masks, and tells others they should wear masks. Not going to spend energy equivocating this with the actions and words of the right. "Don't give them ammunition"? They manifest ammunition out of nonsense and nothing. Evidence is meaningless when the platform is built on willful ignorance and removal of critical thought.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
She shoulda got her hair done in her giant $18,000 refrigerator.

giphy.gif

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, they're saying they shouldn't have even been operating indoors, so why were they? Why exactly is the owner sending security footage from his own store breaking the rules?

It appears to have been a set up.

Pelosi said that the staff of the salon told her that it was okay.

"The Speaker always wears a mask and complies with local COVID requirements," Drew Hammill, deputy chief of staff for Pelosi, said in a statement to The Guardian. "This business offered for the Speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business. The Speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

That seems to check out given that the salon itself released the tape.

Amplifying this just helps anti-maskers.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people see these as "rules" is part of the problem. You simply resent being told what to do. Your concern should be the virus and protecting yourself. Trump and his associates are literally telling people not to wear masks and drink bleach.

I wish folks would stop playing into the false narratives that Republicans paint, where Liberals want you to be perfect and on point at all times. They do that so any misstep from any individual Democrat will be seen as the ultimate hypocrisy and therefore what they say is invalid. This is why Republicans can continue to keep being awful. Time and time again we see people playing into their hands - even in this very thread. You're doing their work for them.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
If this was Ivanka you guys would be having a field day. This was a very stupid thing to do.

Part of that is a result of Ivanka's other actions and platform. Where one instance is a mistake in a trend of generally progressive and pandemic safe actions while the other is a deliberate step in a trend of regressive and dismissive actions actively working against pandemic safety. The context of the person and their history matters.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely fucking stupid. The country is in a life and death fight over masks. Someone who is supposed to be a prominent leader on the right side being seeing out like this will obviously be used as ammo for those on the wrong side. And she should fucking know that.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
wow, Chris Cillizza is such a piece of shit

the entire framing of this piece is "chances are Pelosi was mislead by her hairstylist, sure, but knowing the rules is important since every stumble will result in being trolled by Trumpsters...the likes of which I'm going to spend this entire piece validating and amplifying"

So? Doesn't change the fact that many are giving Pelosi a pass.

read the piece, though

supposedly she wore her mask throughout most of the session, but removed it while her hair was being washed, and entered the establishment under the express instruction of her hairstylist

in context, it looks like a relatively minor stumble, which is being amplified mostly by highly disingenuous actors

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait she said All Lives Matter? That's worse than this tbh

Don't give in to the derail:

Black Lives Matter

Fighting for Justice Our hearts ache for the family of George Floyd and the entire Minneapolis community. Last week, our nation witnessed a man being murdered on TV. Unfortunately, this is part of a pattern of racial injustice and police violence particularly against the African American...

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't give in to the derail:

Black Lives Matter

Fighting for Justice Our hearts ache for the family of George Floyd and the entire Minneapolis community. Last week, our nation witnessed a man being murdered on TV. Unfortunately, this is part of a pattern of racial injustice and police violence particularly against the African American...
That's not what I asked about, I'm not surprised that she has a BLM page on her website. Did she actually say "all lives matter" publicly or is that just a joke/bs?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I mean tbh I don't think it's a huge deal per se, but I do think it's a bad look as a leader to promote wearing masks and other precautionary measures to stop the spread of COVID and then be seen in public not doing those things.

It appears to have been a set up.

Pelosi said that the staff of the salon told her that it was okay.

"The Speaker always wears a mask and complies with local COVID requirements," Drew Hammill, deputy chief of staff for Pelosi, said in a statement to The Guardian. "This business offered for the Speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business. The Speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

That seems to check out given that the salon itself released the tape.

Amplifying this just helps anti-maskers.
if this is the case then yeah, this is a non story and only exists to fuel the fire

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
If you can only criticize behavior that's as bad or worse than Trump's, you'll let plenty of bad stuff slide.

yeah the "BUT KIDS IN CAGES" shit in this thread is lame but you don't need to give her the benefit of those comparisons to view this as a minor mistake

Wait she said All Lives Matter? That's worse than this tbh

yes, as recently as 2019, she was all lives mattering the BLM movement

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
ok but replace pelosi with another right wing politican in this exact scenario and not only would there be a thread about it, you wouldn't have people thread whining

Probably because right wing politicians are actively and encouraging people to defy mandates which are contributing a great deal to our astronomically high infection rates.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
ok but replace pelosi with another right wing politican in this exact scenario and not only would there be a thread about it, you wouldn't have people thread whining

I dont know why people keep making this comparison. Which do you spend more energy criticizing/rebuking someone with a generally good trend and intentions with a mistake or someone who's an unrepentant asshole deliberately making the same "mistake" as a statement against it being a mistake at all?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

In your theoretical thread, did the business also break the rules by bringing them in the establishment, explicitly tell them they can remove their mask for part of the time, and then send in the security tapes to Fox News of the customer 'breaking the rules' by doing the things that very business instructed them to do?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
" Fox also reported that the owner of the salon, Erica Kious, was angry that Pelosi had been allowed to violate the rules put in place during the coronavirus pandemic that mandates haircuts can only be given outside. Kious said it was "a slap in the face that she went in, you know, that she feels that she can just go and get her stuff done while no one else can go in, and I can't work." "

"This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. "The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

This article is just confusing. Why did they let her in then unless their purpose was to try to "expose" her?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is being reported on by the bbc, so it's not like it's just right wing sources

...and?

The facts are the following:

So she went for a haircut (legal)
They told her she could come inside (against the current covid rules, can only be outside)
They told her she could remove her mask during the hairwash (sounds like that's also against the rules)
The owner sent the security tape to Fox News of her 'breaking the rules' by doing what the business instructed her to do

Sure, she should have known hair salons couldn't yet have people indoors, but this is totally a set up

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast

It looks like that applies only to San Francisco. Newsom allowed salons in California to operate indoors starting Monday, which is when this happened. The suddenness of reopening is part of the strain for my mom, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know Newsom's rules didn't apply to them. But you're right in that it's not a good look and could cause legal problems by releasing this.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
...and?

The facts are the following:

So she went for a haircut (legal)
They told her she could come inside (against the current covid rules, can only be outside)
They told her she could remove her mask during the hairwash (sounds like that's also against the rules)
The owner sent the security tape to Fox News of her 'breaking the rules' by doing what the business instructed her to do

Sure, she should have known hair salons couldn't yet have people indoors, but this is totally a set up
It may be a set up. Doesn't change the fact she should have known better. It's possible to criticize someone for being wrong, even if they were being set up.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah the "BUT KIDS IN CAGES" shit in this thread is lame but you don't need to give her the benefit of those comparisons to view this as a minor mistake

yes, as recently as 2019, she was all lives mattering the BLM movement

Yeah that's shitty, I assume she hasn't done this in the last year and a half but even then it was clear that such a response was disingenuous right wing garbo.
Chris Cilizza gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for this shit. Think about that.
He's terrible af

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
" Fox also reported that the owner of the salon, Erica Kious, was angry that Pelosi had been allowed to violate the rules put in place during the coronavirus pandemic that mandates haircuts can only be given outside. Kious said it was "a slap in the face that she went in, you know, that she feels that she can just go and get her stuff done while no one else can go in, and I can't work." "

"This business offered for the speaker to come in on Monday and told her they were allowed by the city to have one customer at a time in the business," Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. "The speaker complied with the rules as presented to her by this establishment."

This article is just confusing. Why did they let her in then unless their purpose was to try to "expose" her?
Why did she go in? Isn't she 80?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently, Pelosi's stylist rents a chair from the owner who released the tape.

The stylist gave Pelosi incorrect information (i.e. state-level information... and not more restrictive local-level guidelines) which Pelosi followed.

The owner then sent the tape to Fox News. It's entirely unclear why the stylist was allowed to operate by the landlord given the restrictions

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
As great as she is as Speaker, Democrats always suffer when she's the face of the party. But she's not the face of the party right now, so IDGAF.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It may be a set up. Doesn't change the fact she should have known better. It's possible to criticize someone for being wrong, even if they were being set up.

Agree. If she doesn't know the Covid19 restrictions in her own damn state/county (which I highly doubt was the case), that's a problem. Granted I tend to side on the idea that this likely isn't changing many minds, because most people on this issue seem dug in, but whether its a "set up" or its purely an issue of optics, this absoutely reeks of a rich/powerful person saying the rules don't apply to them the way they do to us plebs.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So actual headline is Nancy Pelosi wears mask for 95% of the hair cut, removed it for hair wash at request of stylist?

Reporting makes it sound like she did something intentionally wrong