• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kobe

Oct 27, 2017
Most engineers make more than her lol

Nah. You would have to be very talented and highly valued to be earning over 200k. Most senior level engineers get paid around 150k. The average engineer salary in the USA is 91k.

The disturbing thing about what Nancy is doing is she gets confidential briefings.... its insane that she can pickup individual stock options with that kind of knowledge.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a problem with people in congress investing in index funds because those will do well if the politicians do their job well. Owning single stocks seems extremely shady when they can easily cause those stocks to gain or lose value with their legislation. It should be banned.
this is the barest bare minimum that should be acceptable if not a blind trust, it's kinda wild that this isn't in effect tbh

But i'm absolutely investing in the ones of these that I didn't already have.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
can someone teach me how to do the thing rich people do where they turn money into more money? like let's say i have $1,000, how do i turn that into, say, $10,000?
Easy! You just need a bunch more money. Once you have enough money it's basically impossible for it not to turn into even more money with virtually no effort or productivity on your part.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Insane how US Senators can just openly take bribes and do insider trading and all be hundred-millionaires and it's just business as usual. How could a person have any respect for or faith in such a nakedly corrupt racket? Imagine donating to these people.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Where can we find out what other politicians' investment moves are? This one is interesting, but only because everyone hates Pelosi.

senatestockwatcher.com

Senate Stock Watcher - See What Senators are Trading

Updated Daily - See the stock trades US Senators are making as they are reported. Get notifications when new reports are uploaded. Get insight now!

Saw this on reddit. But yeah you can do this for literally any politician. The issue is that they can trade outside of index funds. Not that Pelosi specifically is doing it. But I did see this making the rounds in the usual places this morning as if all politicians aren't buying securities. Good luck getting them to police themselves and restrict their trading options. Only like 3 of them even acknowledge that its BS.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Insane how US Senators can just openly take bribes and do insider trading and all be hundred-millionaires and it's just business as usual. How could a person have any respect for or faith in such a nakedly corrupt racket? Imagine donating to these people.
Mhm. Every time I see folks on here scrambling to donate to some Dem candidate running for a highly-contested seat, I seriously wonder if folks realize just how insanely well-funded they nearly always are anyway by corporate donors. Sorry, but the $200 you just sent Suzie McBlue-Candidate probably just went to subsidizing the caviar she "splurged" on at the big donor lunch.

If people like you and me want our money going someplace where is won't just wind up lining silk pockets, we should be donating to grassroots organizations, like Stacey Abrams's Fair Fight nonprofit, which is proven to produce actual results on behalf of the people.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Most of us don't. We do damn well depending on the company and what type of engineer you are, but most don't. If you include base + incentives, you will have a number that's closer. I've been doing this for 15 years and have moved up. Being good with hella experience helps a lot.

OT:
All these people are closer to "rivals" than they are to us. it's crazy how they have such different agendas in the eyes of the public, but the same behind closed doors. Rich people will not enforce rules and regulations that will hurt them, Dem or Republican.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why legislative figures shouldnt buy stock is so self-evident im surprised to see any posts questioning it, let alone the first fucking one.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Back when I worked in a big 4 consulting firm we were not allowed to own stock in any company we ever worked with. Which is I'm not kidding like every company. Can't even own them indirectly as part of an index. Every year we had to go through an independence check.

The fact that we had to go through such stringent measures yet our politicians don't is just insanity.
Holy shit not even indexes?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Conflicts of interest. She's a piece of shit, like most elected officials. She just happens to be "less bad" than all republicans.
Since it's public knowledge, wouldn't that co flict of interest be apparent in any situation where there is a conflict and as such raise questions if she were to be in a position where she has to make a decision on a legislation that affects these directly?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Since it's public knowledge, wouldn't that co flict of interest be apparent in any situation where there is a conflict and as such raise questions if she were to be in a position where she has to make a decision on a legislation that affects these directly?

It matters more when the specific "conflicts" amount to millions of dollars (and likely tens of millions for her entire portfolio).

People with that kind of money are incapable of making unbiased decisions, particularly if they negatively impact their wealth (and power). Most members of Congress are incapable of making morally sound legislation, because they stand to lose money and power if that happens. This is why Democrats have been so crippled the last 20 years. They want to toe the lines of progressive policy, but always yield just enough concession to make it toothless, or propose it knowing it will never become law.

America is destined to fail, and it's really fucking scary.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her involvement with the Visa IPO raised questions.
So what?
I see very little evidence that she cares what the public think about this issue, and why would she?
She's been doing it for years and not once been held accountable on any level.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, we had exactly that information with several congress people doing blatant insider trading at the start of the pandemic to benefit off of it, and yet they weren't held accountable, so?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It matters more when the specific "conflicts" amount to millions of dollars (and likely tens of millions for her entire portfolio).

People with that kind of money are incapable of making unbiased decisions, particularly if they negatively impact their wealth (and power). Most members of Congress are incapable of making morally sound legislation, because they stand to lose money and power if that happens. This is why Democrats have been so crippled the last 20 years. They want to toe the lines of progressive policy, but always yield just enough concession to make it toothless, or propose it knowing it will never become law.

America is destined to fail, and it's really fucking scary.

Her involvement with the Visa IPO raised questions.
So what?
I see very little evidence that she cares what the public think about this issue, and why would she?
She's been doing it for years and not once been held accountable on any level.
Not talking about what the public thinks.
I'm saying wouldn't there be some sort of investigation by an official body, be it due to public pressure or how it makes the government look, if it seems as if there's blatant misuse of her power due to that conflict of interest?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm saying wouldn't there be some sort of investigation by an official body, be it due to public pressure or how it makes the government look, if it seems as if there's blatant misuse of her power due to that conflict of interest?
It's all legal, she's not breaking any law with this stuff, Congress made sure it is.
Also, even when congress break their own super permissive rules (which the do all the time) the penalties are so small that they just don't care.

www.businessinsider.com

Congress and top Capitol Hill staff have violated the STOCK Act hundreds of times. But the consequences are minimal, inconsistent, and not recorded publicly.

Most lawmakers who've broken the conflict-of-interest law refused to prove that they've paid their fines.

For example, if Pelosi decided she just doesn't feel like disclosing her stock buys this year, her punishment would have been $200 fine, and she could probably just not pay that if she doesn't feel like it.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It's not illegal, but it should be. There's a direct conflict of interest. She could push policy to effect stocks of these companies either in a negative way or a positive way.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I hate to say it, but America's batting average on holding corrupt politicians accountable is pretty bad.

Also, with politics it's never blatant. It's small, calculated measures, spread over many different pieces of legislation, that collectively afford them advantages.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Even if that is true a salary of over $200k for her role is plenty.

I struggle to see other than status what the role of an elected politician actually suggests why it should be such a high paid role.

$223,500 and what skills are required for such a high paid salary?

Some Engineers may get paid more but I would argue it takes a lot more actual knowledge and ability to do what they do than what Pelosi does day to day.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Where can we find out what other politicians' investment moves are? This one is interesting, but only because everyone hates Pelosi.
There was a good summary by NYT

Politicians and their immediate families bought $267 million and sold $364 million worth of assets this year, both down on levels in 2020 despite rising markets. About 60 percent of these trades were in company stocks, with the rest split among funds, bonds and other assets. Republicans bought $100 million worth of stocks this year, versus $75 million for Democrats, according to the average of ranges that lawmakers provide in filings.

Democrats are really into tech stocks, which accounted for some $35 million, or nearly half of all purchases by the group (versus only 14 percent for Republicans). Microsoft was the most popular big-ticket buy:

Republicans are more about energy, buying $32 million worth of stock in companies in the sector during the year, about a third of all purchases (versus a mere 1 percent for Democrats).

Lawmakers embraced the latest trends. Mirroring a boom in options tradingamong individual investors that has worried regulators, congressional trades in stock options doubled in value this year, to about $26 million. More legislators and their families also got into crypto, with total purchases of about $300,000, versus $16,000 the year before. Green and his Republican House colleague Barry Moore of Alabama bought Dogecoin. (Republicans accounted for almost all of the crypto trades.)

All of this trading raises concerns about conflicts. This week, Pelosi rejected the idea of banning politicians and their families from trading stocks while in office. She was asked about it by a reporter from Insider, which recently published an investigation about lawmakers' trades. And when The Times's Ron Lieber asked lawmakers newly elected to Congress a few months ago if they would pledge not to trade individual stocks while in office, few were willing and most didn't respond.

www.nytimes.com

What Congress Traded in 2021 (Published 2021)

Despite controversy over lawmakers’ trading activity, Democrats and Republicans still bought stocks worth hundreds of millions.

I agree with people saying allowing politicians in office to pick and choose individual stock investments is quite ridiculous. I mean even an entry level position at any of the investment banks, even positions far removed from trading are banned from investing in individual stocks.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's all legal, she's not breaking any law with this stuff, Congress made sure it is.
Also, even when congress break their own super permissive rules (which the do all the time) the penalties are so small that they just don't care.

www.businessinsider.com

Congress and top Capitol Hill staff have violated the STOCK Act hundreds of times. But the consequences are minimal, inconsistent, and not recorded publicly.

Most lawmakers who've broken the conflict-of-interest law refused to prove that they've paid their fines.

For example, if Pelosi decided she just doesn't feel like disclosing her stock buys this year, her punishment would have been $200 fine, and she could probably just not pay that if she doesn't feel like it.
Again, I'm not really talking about the legality of buying the trades. That's obvious that that's legal.
I'm specifically talking about any decisions she makes on legislation in the future that has a direct impact on her net worth via these options. Surely there would be grounds for investigation when a decision like that is made that involves a direct conflict of interest.

I hate to say it, but America's batting average on holding corrupt politicians accountable is pretty bad.

Also, with politics it's never blatant. It's small, calculated measures, spread over many different pieces of legislation, that collectively afford them advantages.
This would make sense, but if the internet can find the link between those then so can whoever's regulating this, as well as investigative journalists.
Whether there is an action taken or not, that I guess that's a whole different problem.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
Even if that is true a salary of over $200k for her role is plenty.

I struggle to see other than status what the role of an elected politician actually suggests why it should be such a high paid role.

$223,500 and what skills are required for such a high paid salary?

Some Engineers may get paid more but I would argue it takes a lot more actual knowledge and ability to do what they do than what Pelosi does day to day.

I think all these politicians should get paid the median household income for a single individual at a maximum.

when that average rises, they're pay goes up along with it.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Again, I'm not really talking about the legality of buying the trades. That's obvious that that's legal.
I'm specifically talking about any decisions she makes on legislation in the future that has a direct impact on her net worth via these options. Surely there would be grounds for investigation when a decision like that is made that involves a direct conflict of interest.

This would make sense, but if the internet can find the link between those then so can whoever's regulating this, as well as investigative journalists.
Whether there is an action taken or not, that I guess that's a whole different problem.

That's already happened, dozens of times over the decades. The links are found, the stories are published, and the people involved *maybe* get a slap on the wrist or resign and move on to a cushy lobbyist job, doing network TV, etc.

We don't play by the same rules.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As far as I know there isn't a law requiring members of congress to recuse themselves from writing bills that could affect their portfolio, that's the problem.
And beyond that, the enforcement mechanism of all of that it the ethics committees, which is just congress policing itself and we all can see how well that system work.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Welp, time to pack it up everybody. Some guy on the internet just said better things aren't possible.

hey, feel free to wall of shame me when senators/representatives make it illegal for they and their family to invest in stuff. :)

of course ANYTHING can happen. It's possible we can rip up the constitution and create a new, modern one too. Is that what you want to hear? lol

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hey, feel free to wall of shame me when senators/representatives make it illegal for they and their family to invest in stuff. :)
They wouldn't do it unless people really demand that, that's for sure.
Just like they will never work in August unless people get angry enough at them and demand that.
of course ANYTHING can happen. It's possible we can rip up the constitution and create a new, modern one too. Is that what you want to hear? lol
I don't think passing a law that members of congress and their staff have to put their stock portfolio in a blind trust is anywhere as difficult as amending the constitution.
It wouldn't even be the biggest change in the area of congressional ethics and corruption in my lifetime.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I think it's fair to blame the people that decide whether it is or isn't illegal for benefiting from it not being illegal.

She (and her colleagues) make the laws, and she is the leader of one of the two chambers. You can certainly blame them for making it legal for themselves to engage in such massive conflicts of interest that would be illegal for virtually anyone else in the country. It'a absurd not to, really.

I agree with this!

We should make a thread that lists every senator and representative who invest in stocks or whose family invests in stocks. And we should put them all into the doghouse for it and shame them until they legislate to regulate it.

i don't find singling out Pelosi helps much. Or maybe I'm desensitized from caring cause lots of posters here love to blame her for everything. It's like making a thread to blame Pelosi for taking all the excessive vacation days everyone else does or that she votes to give herself raises like everyone else does.

This year Oklahoma passed a law that makes it legal to plow through a crowd of protestors with your car or truck.
It's legal, so

🤷?

🙄

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I agree with this!

We should make a thread that lists every senator and representative who invest in stocks or whose family invests in stocks. And we should put them all into the doghouse for it and shame them until they legislate to regulate it.

i don't find singling out Pelosi helps much. Or maybe I'm desensitized from caring cause lots of posters here love to blame her for everything. It's like making a thread to blame Pelosi for taking all the excessive vacation days everyone else does or that she votes to give herself raises like everyone else does.

Is this sarcastic or not? If not, there's this.
Also, Pelosi is Speaker of the House and third in line to be President. Her conduct is going to get noticed that much more often.

The realpolitik shtick is... old. What's your point here? Is it just to feel like the smartest person in the room because you're the least impassioned? Or do you actually have something to say that's worth listening to?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I support financial reform of Congress, starting with doubling or tripling the base salary of all members of Congress to a wage that non-wealthy people can afford to be a congress person.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I support financial reform of Congress, starting with doubling or tripling the base salary of all members of Congress to a wage that non-wealthy people can afford to be a congress person.
I think the reason why we don't have poor people in congress is way more about the financial barriers that stand between a poor person and having a chance at get elected than the fact that the salary is not enough for them to bother.
I really don't think there are too many minimum wage workers in the US who say to themselves "I would totally be a senator, but I don't know if it worth it for $174,000 a year".

Also just in general, I don't think the problem with the US is that our politicians aren't rich enough.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

I would argue that criticizing Dem leaders for corruption goes beyond "helpful vs. not helpful" and straight into "direly needed." The party will never change if we don't even talk about the extremely visible ways in which its leaders fail us. And this is corruption. This is failure.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
can someone teach me how to do the thing rich people do where they turn money into more money? like let's say i have $1,000, how do i turn that into, say, $10,000?

You go to wish.com and buy a bunch of cheap fidget spinners, and then sell them at the farmers market for a few bucks each. Rinse and repeat until you're ready to retire.