• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Huge deal for me. I loved this anime and it has been doomed to overpriced used DVD sales for years.

sentainews-nana-header-870x520.jpg

PR Link

HOUSTON, TX January 26, 2021 — Sentai announced today that it acquired NANA, the 47-episode anime series produced by Madhouse and based on the manga by Ai Yazawa (NEIGHBORHOOD STORY, TENSHI NANKA JA NAI) with 40+ million copies sold. The series has been upconverted from its original format to vivid high definition.

Two twenty-somethings seemingly share nothing in common apart from their first name, but a chance meeting on a train bound for Tokyo sets Nana Komatsu and Nana Osaki on a collision course with destiny. Nana Komatsu, a love-at-first-sight dreamer, aims to find enduring happiness in the big city. Nana Osaki, neo punk rock vocalist, pursues her burning ambitions of musical stardom and worldwide fame. As their fates increasingly intertwine, they each chase their dreams — until the harsh realities of life in big city Tokyo threaten to tear everything apart.

A production of studio Madhouse (No Game, No Life, Parasyte -the maxim-, DEATH NOTE), NANA is directed by Morio Asaka (Chihayafuru, MY Love STORY!!, Cardcaptor Sakura) with series composition by Tomoko Konparu (Blue Spring Ride, Sunday Without God, Glass Mask) and music by Tomoki Hasegawa (Mysterious Girlfriend X, D.N.Angel, Zan Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei). The series stars Romi Park (Land of the Lustrous, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Shaman King) as punk-rocker Nana Osaki and KAORI (Kaleido Star, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Pokémon: Advanced Generation) as the cheerful Nana Komatsu.

Sentai is planning an HD version for release on digital outlets with an HD home video release to follow.

For Sentai's latest announcements regarding this and other great titles, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
....As long as they keep the dub, I'm happy. If they're redubbing it, I'm going to be pissed. Canadian dubs must live!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The anime was really good, too bad the manga will never be finished. I wish I hadn't bothered picking it up after the anime ended.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the manga's been on hiatus for over a decade and the anime had a shitty ending
still not finished? what happened to aizawa ai?

this was the first shojo manga i read when it still was published in cookie as a short and i loved it. It probably was my facorite manga for a long time until I dropped it because nothing came out lol.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the author was in a really bad car accident and couldn't draw anymore or am I getting that mixed up with another series?

There's a lot of anime that still need a proper HD release like this one. Still waiting on Sony to do something about Blood+.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I saw the anime and was disappointed at the story and progression

Thought this would be an announcement for a remake like Fruits Basket got but I guess not

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly recommend it. One of the great anime releases of the last 2000s. Art style may be off putting for some now, but I really adored the characters, storyline and music.
gokinjo monogatari anime is also amazing. I have a feeling that Mariko was much more heavily featured compared to the manga though. Paradise Kiss also had a great anime... visually at least.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching this on Netflix many years back. The characters drew me in. Shame that the manga never gonna be finished.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greats. I always find it amazing when even every single OP and ED hits add to the already great tone and style of a show, as is the case here.

Always such a huge shame when works of this quality remain unfinished :(

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this takes me back. I remember watching this on a whim on Netflix. I'm surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Not usually the show I go for. I remember it getting pretty depressing.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Put this on my "amazing works of fiction that'll never get an ending" shelf right next to ASOIAF and Berserk.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the real bummer. Like, if the anime ended better I could live with the manga fading away, but I'm so eager for a "fixed" ending that the characters deserve.
But the manga was headed toward an ending where the characters got what they deserved. Pulling a FMA plot change because an ending didn't exist feels cheap.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great series overall. But I got really frustrated with certain character motivations towards the end which dampened my enjoyment somewhat. Adored the music though, still listen to Anna Tsuchiya music fairly regularly.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the anime when I was in highschool, i get nostalgic thinking about it. Reminds me when I was an otaku going to conventions lol The soundtrack was amazing.

Anyway, the anime gets very depressing by the end, and also kind of doesn't have an ending, it's a real shame. I hope Yazawa gets better eventually and is able to conclude the manga.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Really liked this one but I never finished it. I enjoyed the carefree story but then it started getting way too depressing.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Great manga that will forever be on hiatus, anime was good, but as others said, it's ending isn't great. I'll still buy it if it gets a Blu-Ray and it turned out to be good.

Mamont1537

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I remember liking the anime.
I was pretty impressed how seamlessly they integrated openings and endings into episodes. Like there was a character monologue with a background music that slowly gets louder and then it transitions into the ending animation. That really helped to set the mood.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, never knew the manga never finished, and that apparently the show has a vague "read the manga ending", which of course isn't helped by point number 1. What a shame, at least it seems people like the characters a lot, and at least from my outside perspective it doesn't appear to have as dire of stakes/drive for a dramatic conclusion that A Song of Ice and Fire/Berserk deserve. Still, I'm honestly surprised, I thought it had ended.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
While it's true it's not finished and probably never will, there were a few chapters set years in the future that outlined what would happen to most of the central characters.

It's not ASOIAF situation. With Nana one can fill the gaps, at least.