• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
1) BOTW
2) MGS5
3) Dead Space 3

Not before anyone says anything , just because I find these games disappointing does not mean I think they are bad games, I just expected alot more from them.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Mario Odyssey
Cyberpunk 2077
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
1. Dante's Inferno
Had potential, followed every single Dev Diary for the game. Extremely hyped, then incredibly bummed when the gameplay turned out to be ass.

2. Naruto: Ninja Council 3
Loved Council 1 and 2 as a kid, then 3 came out when I was in Grade 7 and it abandoned what made the first 2 good (arcadey story / beat 'em up gameplay) and was just awful.

3. God of War Ascension
Overhyped myself, remember following the director of the game on twitter and expecting something GoW III quality. It just got boring to play part way through.

I forgot about Dragon Ball Taiketsu….. that game is the real #1. I expected it to be bad and was still disappointed. At least I got a kick out of playing through DB Sagas, this game was just a painful experience all around.

Dragon Ball GT Transformation was also a really disappointing for what I thought was a sequel to Buu's Fury.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us Part 2
Super Mario 3D World
Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2012

this is just off the top of my head, there might be bigger dissapointments I'm missing.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
botw and Mario Odyssey in the first two posts off to a good start lol.

Anyway: Metroid Other M, DMC2 and RE6 are the first that come to mind.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Quest 64. Desperately wanted an RPG at the time not having a PlayStation and i was counting down days until my birthday when I could get it. I saw the commercials non-stop back then.

Man was that not a fun game

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bioshock Infinite
Diablo 3
Cyberpunk 2077

I still enjoyed Diablo 3 and Bioshock Infinite, they just weren't the masterpieces I was hoping they would be, but decent games nonetheless.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon-Stadium-cover.jpg

5115412WYQL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Broken_Age_cover_art.jpg

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Max Payne 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Max Payne 3 is the only one I really consider bad, but the other two I did find pretty mediocre. Loved the earlier games in all of these series (didn't play XCX tbf), which definitely contributes to my disappointment.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Why do people get passive aggressive when I mention BOTW was disappointing to me? its just a game that while I think is good , I just expected alot more from it. It's just an opinion :P

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Tekken 6 - Added the bound mechanic.
Gran Turismo 6 - end of generation title that still had standard and premium cars.
FIFA 13 - Took over from a strong FIFA12, and the series has been poor since.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Metal Gear Solid V
Fallout 4
Super Mario Sunshine

Not bad games but I had high expectations going into all three of them and I dropped all <10 hours into the game

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
Mass Effect 3: What a sloppy final game to the trilogy. The ending of the game is terrible and the most discussed, but there were many more problems in level/encounter design.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Yoshi's Story
Ape Escape 2

One sequel that went too "mature", two that leaned too hard into being for little kids. All of them not as good as the previous game.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Ni no Kuni 2 - just a bad game imo
Final Fantasy XV - an okay game but not up to the caliber of FF (my favorite series)
SSX on Tour - completely sucked the life out of one of my favorite non-RPG game series

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
1) super mario 3d all stars: considering how many people still swears all 3 of these are the GOAT, I found pretty boring experiences.
2) Halo 2: between the "neutral spanish" dub, it's short length and graphical oddities, felt like a downgrade from 1. Liked the Arbiter tho.
3) Dark souls 3: maybe I just hit series fatigue but this one is the only one and done souls for me.

Stune

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was twelve when the Wii was out so this colors a lot of what I'm about to say.

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
-Man I stood in line at a Walmart on Black Friday to get the version that came with the Wii Remote and I got maybe halfway through it before I put it down. Its just such a soggy mess of a game. Its good that they moved away from this style of Zelda, were all better off for it.

2. Metroud Prime 3: Corruption
- If Skyward Sword was the end of the Wii, the promise to the finale to two of my favorite games ever (Prime still holds, 2 has aged less well but I think its still super interesting) was the thing that galvanized all of my preteen hype into Nintendo. I have played through Corruption within the past two years and couldnt tell you anything about it. Its not terrible, it just passes through me like water.

3. Doom Eternal
- There are certainly other things that could go here but Doom Eternal feels like it learned different things than I did coming off of 2016. I think the core loop of it is fun, but its tuned a little hatefully on a controller, and all of the ways they chose to lean into the lore skirt right past the line of just how seriously it would need to take itself to be fun. It almost feels like I walked into a record store and the guy behind the counter is judging me for not knowing the full chronology of his favorite grindcore symphony, where I feel like 2016 shared a laugh with you while showing you to where they keep the Mastodon.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
actual bad games rather than just a semi disappointing sequel, otherwise the list would just be Assassin's Creed III and Call of Duty Ghosts and Price of Persia Warrior Within.

-Duke Nukem Forever. I really enjoyed Duke 3D to the pint of playing the consolised 3rd person Duke Nukem games for N64 and PSOne. Forever was just a total waste of time. I'm glad it came out out, but was hoping for some movement on a ground up new game, but 10 years later, nada.

-Driver 3- urgh

-Brute Force- in the wait for something else on OG Xbox to play after Halo CE, this was hyped and my was it ever so ordinary.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Diablo 3 - at least the launch-version with the RMAH and terrible difficulty scaling and a downgrade in a lot of wars to D2.

Yoshi's Island DS - Not absolutely terrible but the music is garbage and the first game is god-tier. So this game really fell flat for me.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
- What happened to my favourite franchise...

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fuck it, I'll do a top 5.

1. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - Some of the most intricate levels ever crafted exchanged for baby's first marble madness. Some of the most fleshed out minigames in any video game ever exchanged for waggle based distractions that are fun for maybe 10 minutes. What a complete and utter disaster.

2. Paper Mario Sticker Star - This one is a cliche at this point really. They took out everything I liked about the others. The RPG mechanics, the fun story, funny writing, neat locales, combat that felt like it actually served a purpose. I've seen people defend this game by saying it's more of an adventure game than an RPG, but that doesn't make it good. It's an adventure game with a bunch of annoying backtracking and no reward for any of it. Usually "adventure games" excel at least partially because of their story, see all of the classic Lucasarts PC point and click adventure games. Sticker Star doesn't have any of that.

3. Final Fantasy: Type-0: PSP importers, please tell me what you were smoking, because this game has basically zero redeemable qualities. An easy to cheese combat system in a way where the cheesing isn't even fun, wildly fluctuating difficulty, a story that most fan fiction puts to shame with some of the stupidest OCs and plot twists I've ever seen, corridor level design....what's there to like about this game? The combat can be fun sometimes when you're not cheesing, I guess.

4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - Shu Takumi's return to the Ace Attorney franchise is met with a resounding "meh," with cases that are mostly underwhelming and a final case that has a plot twist that seems cool until you think about how ridiculous it is for a bit. I had never played any Layton games before and I can definitively say I wouldn't enjoy them after these puzzles.

5. DanganRonpa: Ultra Despair Girls - A really, really poor modern Resident Evil-like, with finnicky aiming and a story has uses child abuse in the most tasteless way possible, complete with one dimensional characters. The level and encounter design are very bland and repetitive. My hopes for this game weren't super high but I still think it might be the worst game I've seen to the end, at least in a very long time, which earns it a spot on this list.

Honorable Mentions: WarioWare Snapped, Pokemon Sword & Shield, Final Fantasy IV DS, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Yoshi's Story was hugely disappointing coming off YI which is a masterpiece.

Final Fantasy XIII destroyed any interest I had in the series. I used to buy every game on day one. Now I just don't care anymore.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a buggy mess and incredibly disappointing considering how great Witcher 3 was.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Dark Souls 2, Suikoden 4, and Final Fantasy 8 in reverse chronological. Dark Souls 2 is where I finally learned not to hype myself up.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X

All of them are follow ups to my favorite games of all time. Galaxy 2 lacked its predecessors sense of wonder, Bayo 2 was an overall weaker experience than the first and Xenoblade X had a garbage story.

That said, I don't think any of them are bad, but I definitely overhyped the fuck out of them before release

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Only one person mentioned botw up till your post, so it became clear (to me) that this wasnt made in good faith.

but thats just me.

I was bored and wanted to make an opinion thread , and well I think BOTW is a good but disappointing game , if it sounds like this is in bad faith, I apologize.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Yoshi's Story was hugely disappointing coming off YI which is a masterpiece.

Final Fantasy XIII destroyed any interest I had in the series. I used to buy every game on day one. Now I just don't care anymore.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a buggy mess and incredibly disappointing considering how great Witcher 3 was.
The Witcher 3 was also a buggy mess at launch. I think Cyberpunk will do CD Projekt Red a lot of good going forward. I cannot see them messing up another launch.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Cyberpunk 2077
There are only two franchises that I pre-order way before the review embargo drops: Zelda and Monster Hunter. I was so goddamn hyped about Cyberpunk that I decided to drop a pre-order in (as well as purchase a new console alongside) when the first previews came in and the rest is history. Worst part is that I could've quit as soon as shit started to hit the fan (within the first few hours) but no, I finished the whole game and destroyed my brain cells for a little bit over 60hrs

MGS V: Phantom Pain
I played the first Metal Gear on NES as a kid during the 90's and I got pretty much hooked. Then MGS came along and I realized that we are now starting to see something big with the terms of storytelling, continuity and long/deep lore that goes on for multiple games. MGS V was supposed to conclude this long and exciting saga and the first couple hours of the game... whoa nellie I'll tell ya'. Then all of a sudden I realized that I'm basically repeating the same old missions over and over again, watching Kojima's ego tripping with these dull and idiotic characters and I'm not even gonna try to explain how disappointed I was with the ending.

Codename S.T.E.A.M.
Before this heap of shit was released, Intelligent Systems had pretty much a flawless track record with all the excellent Advance Wars', Fire Emblems, Mario's RPG-titles and WarioWare's. Therefore I can't be blamed for being pretty excited about this new strategy RPG from the people who really had made their mark with the niche genre's best titles. What we got was a childish plot, awful technical performance and a boring gameplay loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.