• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So as the topic said, what two games did you feel are quite a like, even though on paper theyre completely different things. The thing that connects them can be a gameplay system, something graphical or even voice actor. Everything goes, as long as your mind connects the games together.

I'll start it off with a comparison i've been making these last few days. I consider Death Stranding and Stardew Valley quite a like, because of the "one more day / one more delivery"-hook. The exact same feeling comes up for me while playing those two games.

eketeru

Dec 3, 2018
One of my colleagues once loudly declared in the office that "Dark Souls is just like Pokemon".

Never has there been a louder silence.

It will be carved into his tombstone when the time comes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, you mean like... Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell?

giphy.gif

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Death Stranding and Metal Gear Solid 5.

There are many similarities, but in third person camera Sam in a rocky area kinda looks like snake in Afghanistan

FunkyFreshB

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
When I first played Human Fall Flat, I found it similar to Mario Odyssey in the way you can traverse the levels. You can either do the puzzles/objectives as presented, or do it the alternate way.

For Human Fall Flat, the alternate way is to climb wherever possible. Screw the puzzles, climb over the wall next to it.

For Odyssey, this would be the "no cap" run, where you try to capture as few enemies as possible. The movement options available being so expansive and the Moons being everywhere makes it possible to only have to cap like 5 enemies or so during a main story playthrough.

How you play the games are totally different, but that open ended way to approach things is similar

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullet hell games like Touhou, Deathsmiles or Dodonpachi definitely share a lot with rhythm games like Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution or VOEZ. They seem nothing alike, but in both cases you'll be crashing into the same difficulty early on, then learn how to get over that by learning the flow, the rhythm, the speed of execution. Then as the stage progresses you'll likely find another obstacle which blocks you once, twice, 50 times maybe, but you eventually get that flow too and so on. By the end you'll have mastered a series of difficulties and you "just" need to execute them correctly in a row to get away with a good result and not die in the process. Very similar to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess tlou and days gone. Both very similar in plot and kind of types of settings/zombies, but so different.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if these are TOO similar but Dark Souls and Salt and Sanctuary. The core gameplay loop is relatively the same but it's presented differently enough that someone that prefers side scrolling platformers might actually prefer S&S

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
One of my colleagues once loudly declared in the office that "Dark Souls is just like Pokemon".

Did you colleague explain why these two games might be similar, or did he just realise he said it out loud, and got embarassed, hence the silence that followed?

eketeru

Dec 3, 2018
Did you colleague explain why these two games might be similar, or did he just realise he said it out loud, and got embarassed, hence the silence that followed?

The silence was while the office collectively tried to think of of how, exactly, the two were similar.

Honestly, the mockery overrode the explanation, but I think it had something to do with the need to grind...?

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017

I would play the fuck out of a Pokemon / Dark Souls crossover game. Damn you for beaming that image into mah brain!!!

Last edited:

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Sure I got you

Astral Chain controls like (gc era) Pikmin.

- you move with one stick and move your squad around you with another
- chuck em at enemy and call em back
- try and walk over and slug enemies while ur dude is fighting
- gotta break gates and dig up treasure that only ur pikmans can detect
- power up with questionable beverages
- little gold bastard sometimes appears that you have to chase
- getting completely owned by frogs and birds

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
In my mind the statement "Dark Souls is to Symphony of the Night what Majora's Mask is the Link to the Past" makes perfect sense and all the different parts lock into place, but I've never had anyone agree with that so apparently it's not as elegant of an analogy as I think.

Look all I'm saying is Seigmeyer's and Solaire's quests could fit right in with the sidequests in Major's Mask, and you could drag and drop half of the DS bosses into MM and no one would blink. In fact it feels like that's where Pinwheel and Moonlight Butterfly came from in the first place.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Animal Crossing and Story of Seasons because of the resource management, NPC interactions, and pastoral vibe.

I've said this before, but Death Stranding to me is like Playdead's Inside except it's maximalist. There's the imagery, the metacommentary, and the meditative motion. I feel like a linking of the two by way of Tarkovsky and Glazer, or Mark Fisher and Deleuze is just waiting to be explored.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age II.

Both are primarly set in a single city (Vizima and Kirkwall) and are centered around conflict of two factions (Order of the Flaming Rose vs Scoia'tael and Mages vs Templar).

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh is often compared to Souls, but it also reminds me of Monster Hunter with the whole "replay missions over and over again until you get the stuff you need".

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition and Death Stranding. Both have polarized reviews about a guy just trying to do his mundane job, in a story filled with long cutscenes and quirky characters while having a realistic backdrop in America.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a basically MOBA to me. During the tank battles, your team of heroes can assault the other team's base, while keeping them from doing the same thing. You have three lanes, one on the floor, and two cannon routes. your heroes have unique attributes or abilities, which makes team composition important.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Asylum and Human Revolution.

I think it's just the hub but also the gadgets

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
FFX is obviously a turn based Crash Bandicoot, with the tropical setting and the tunnel-like levels.

In my mind the statement "Dark Souls is to Symphony of the Night what Majora's Mask is the Link to the Past" makes perfect sense and all the different parts lock into place, but I've never had anyone agree with that so apparently it's not as elegant of an analogy as I think.

Look all I'm saying is Seigmeyer's and Solaire's quests could fit right in with the sidequests in Major's Mask, and you could drag and drop half of the DS bosses into MM and no one would blink. In fact it feels like that's where Pinwheel and Moonlight Butterfly came from in the first place.

Lol I always somewhat saw Dark Souls as a 3D SotN. It feels a lot more like a 3D Metroidvania rather than a RPG atleast. Plus the level system and the similar (but not really) level design.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

Replaying Symphony of the Night recently I got the distinct sensation I was playing an early blueprint for Dark Souls.

On topic: Sekiro (combat) and Taiko no Tatsujin.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The best example of this is Bloodborne and Castlevania. Admittedly, there are a ton of differences. However, Bloodborne has a very similar rhythm and pace. Bloodborne just feels like a classic Castlevania game translated brilliantly into 3D. Lords of Shadow (which is supposed to be a Castlevania game), on the other hand, only shares surface level elements. The creators clearly didn't understand what separated Castlevania games from other titles in the same genre.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Daemon X Machina and Astral Chain

Beings from another reality came to fuck up humanity (who has built walls to contain the issue) and certain individuals wants to speed up the process, in particular the big bosses hear voices that call them, built the projects behind this "trascendence", and merge with the big bad in the end - who plays with reality and energies beyond our comprehension. And, one of our foes ends up being "allies" or empathetic with us before the end. While we're "the chosen one" to make choices and shit

Also anime robots and stuff

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018

And now all I can imagine is a grimy, Dark Souls region called Pallet Town or that Blight Town gym leader and her fire-based... I'll stop.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Any Tales game and Mario Tennis/Golf. It's really fun when I hear Motoi Sakuraba's music in random games, think "This sounds like a Tales game!" and it turns out it's actually him who composed it.

It recently happened when I watched a video of Hot Shots Golf, too. The whole time I watched the video I was like "woah it's like they're golfing to a Tales game!" Lol)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
FEZ and The Witness. Wildly different approaches to the core idea of evoking a paradigmatic shift in the player's perception and relation to the world. Both also involved lots of note-taking on my part when playing them.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if these are TOO similar but Dark Souls and Salt and Sanctuary. The core gameplay loop is relatively the same but it's presented differently enough that someone that prefers side scrolling platformers might actually prefer S&S

Salt and Sanctuary was literally trying to be a 2D version of Dark Souls. Aside from a few Metroid-y elements (getting new abilities to access secrets and new areas) it is a very faithful copy of the template, as much as being 2D allows.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary was literally trying to be a 2D version of Dark Souls. Aside from a few Metroid-y elements (getting new abilities to access secrets and new areas) it is a very faithful copy of the template, as much as being 2D allows.

Yeah I agree. Tried to say that in my post as well. It's effectively an exact copy BUT the viewpoint differences make them very different in looks.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I feel like Dark Souls is just like The Adventures of Cookie & Cream. The high difficulty, the use of co-op and camaraderie, the ruined world. It's all there.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
2 games with complicated narratives and a unique gameplay loop that doesn't really feel like it belongs in the thing it's in: Death Stranding and Catherine.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of series and star ocean
Both anime games where you encounter mobs on the map where it transports you to battle field were its free roam real time combat.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Breath of the Wild & Death Stranding. Both are games primarily about traversal & exploration. One goes super minimalist on story & systems are a bit more simplistic, whereas the other slaps you across the face with it's metaphors & exposition & has much more detailed systems throughout. Two sides of the same coin so to speak.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
no... BUT I feel immune to EVERYTHING
cause I can say without a doubt 100% correctly, without fear, because I played through the whole game ...

That FFXIII is a terrible game.

Nov 26, 2017
Luigi's Mansion (at least 3 I suppose) and Sonic Unleashed, specifically the night sections. Both have a mixture of their respective gameplay elements (puzzle solving and platforming) with combat mixed in to keep things fresh.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Breath of the Wild & Death Stranding. Both are games primarily about traversal & exploration. One goes super minimalist on story & systems are a bit more simplistic, whereas the other slaps you across the face with it's metaphors & exposition & has much more detailed systems throughout. Two sides of the same coin so to speak.
Came in here looking for this. You covered it quite well.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza and Shenmue

Yakuza and the first Shenmue are set in Japan, they have quirky NPCs, arcades, mini games and brawling. Superficially they can look the same.

But it's a bit annoying when people say Yakuza is a replacement for Shenmue, because Shenmue had attention to detail such as NPC schedules, weather changes and being able to search the environment. The pace and story of Shenmue is slower, more contemplative and is mythical. Both series are good. Like comparing Star Wars to Star Trek.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I can't inagine what it'd be like to work in a place where you can just talk about games like that, I'm so jealous