• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The best kart racer was and is Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour

How many times do I need to repeat this?!

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single open world Nintendo game matching the detail inherent in The Witcher 3, RDR2, HZD, or like...any Ubisoft game this generation. Assuredly "detail" is misused here?

Generally speaking, though--God of War.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much salt in here, good grief. :)

The primary reason Nintendo games are, as a rule, 'better', is because they are designed in a specific way, and have more attention given to the way they play and present themselves, rather than, say, story or intricate graphics. Nintendo designs their own games from core mechanics upward, focusing on specific basic things to polish most and leaving the rest with only as much attention as can be afforded. Thus it's easy to see their games as "flawed" in many ways that your typical AAA game might not be, when it's simply a matter of putting the actual "game" ahead of everything else that makes up the overall "experience" of playing something.

It's also one of the major reasons why Nintendo games age so well, generally (the other being their usually highly stylized visuals) - no matter how old, their core gameplay is typically top-notch.

With that in mind, hm. I'm not much of a connoisseur of games, but I'd say something like Downwell fits the bill. Into the Breach is pretty well-polished in that regard too. Haven't played but heard great things about Hollow Knight. You'll probably find more of these if you look through the popular indies. Of the big games, I really don't know - don't have any modern consoles, and my PC is a pretty feeble thing. Also, a lot of really good games don't fit the Nintendo formula, because they instead focus on some fairly deeply recessed niches or otherwise have numerous flaws in the core gameplay but still end up being great by other virtues. Something like Factorio, or Space Rangers, or Subnautica, or Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4 (from what I hear).

There's plenty more ways to make a great game than what Nintendo's doing, even if they're more consistently good at it than most. :)
Hollow Knight is another example of a game that I've found is polished to a ridiculous degree, and it's made by three people.

I remember Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle turning out to be well polished despite some fears when it was revealed.
Since when does Nintendo set the bar for polished games? LMAO
You've never heard of "Nintendo polish" or the "Nintendo seal of quality"?

I can't think of a single open world Nintendo game matching the detail inherent in The Witcher 3, RDR2, HZD, or like...any Ubisoft game this generation. Assuredly "detail" is misused here?
I actually brought up "detail" here thinking about Crash Team Racing, anticipating some Mario Kart fanboys would try to complain about it not being 60fps.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Your question is about polish, but then you randomly compare a particular genre.

Yes. Nintendo makes Nintendo games... ? And they are damn good at them.
However they are not the only ones.

Also plenty of games that are polished and detailed.

As a random example: Its like saying, why does no one else make Gran Turismo games like polyphony does.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Mario kart trying to beat a game from 1999 for 20 years.
This thread is Nintendo garbage bait shit.
619250.jpeg

Also lmao at saying " these games are trying to beat a game from 5 years ago"

are you drunk? crash team racing is remake of 1999 game which even mario kart tried to copied and failed. it even tried to copy Nitro kart ffs

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
People seem really offended.

I love lots of non-Nintendo games, but I still feel Nintendo has a reputation with polish. (Yes, there are also Nintendo games that lack polish. WiiU Mario Tennis for example).

I would consider the Metal Gear Solid games (especially 2 and 3) to be very polished.

I would wager the reason for lack of polish on many games is it doesn't make much of a difference in sales.

edit: an example of an AAA series that has lots of money into it and is beautiful, but I feel lacks polish would be the Uncharted series.

edit: another example is I'm currently playing through (and loving) FFXII on Switch, and I wouldn't say it's polished as much as many Nintendo games. Maybe polish needs a definition to all agree on first?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seem really offended.

I love lots of non-Nintendo games, but I still feel Nintendo has a reputation with polish. (Yes, there are also Nintendo games that lack polish. WiiU Mario Tennis for example).
Seriously. I thought it was accepted that Nintendo has a long running reputation of polish for decades. That the Nintendo seal of quality is something they earned.

For some reason everyone took that to mean "all other games are shit", or are playing it up for supposed comedic effect.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is another example of a game that I've found is polished to a ridiculous degree, and it's made by three people.

I remember Mario + Rabbits Kingdom Battle turning out to be well polished despite some fears when it was revealed.
You've never heard of "Nintendo polish" or the "Nintendo seal of quality"?

I actually brought up "detail" here thinking about Crash Team Racing, anticipating some Mario Kart fanboys would try to complain about it not being 60fps.

I guess I'm more confused. How do you define detail? FPS? Any more examples?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Years of iteration and the same people behind long running series help a lot. Having a vision and executing to that vision goes a long way. Games appear to lack polish when too many unnecessary features are crammed in and feel unfinished.

In general though; their games are very bug free and run well, to the point that you can say they consistently put out polished games. But to discredit other developers that put out very polished games is silly. There are so many wonderfully polished games out there.

Your question seems to stem more around why can't other developers break through in genre's that Nintendo dominates in? I think the IP helps tremendously and they have years of iteration behind them. It is tough to take down Mario Kart when it's on it's 10th revision and you are spinning up a kart racer for the first or second time and trying to be different than what already works just to stand out from the incumbent. Even if you do put something polished out, it's still an uphill battle.

Seriously. I thought it was accepted that Nintendo has a long running reputation of polish for decades. That the Nintendo seal of quality is something they earned.

For some reason everyone took that to mean "all other games are shit", or are playing it up for supposed comedic effect.

If this was a thread about Nintendo polish and appreciating it, you'd be fine. Instead you asked why other developers very rarely put out games to that level of polish which is just wrong. There are tons of well polished games put out every year, most of them indies too.

Dec 23, 2017
Very interesting thread. I think most first party games (most not all) from Sony and Microsoft are just as high quality. They usually have established ips with a direction they are fully aware of. They also know their console in and out better than any other dev. I think the thing that separates Nintendo is they don't mind taking their time with a game. They will delay if needed. They also don't focus on graphics first. They know the way they want the game to play they aim at achieving that first and foremost. So on top of taking advantage of what the hardware can do they prioritize gameplay and fun factors first and foremost.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest is another series that I think is very well polished. Dragon Quest XI (I only played on 3DS) was an incredibly polished experience. Up there with BOTW.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lol. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, actually a Playstation fan since the 1st one. Never had a Nintendo console, just handhelds (though I am eyeing s Switch this year).

I've always preferred Playstation variety. But back in the day I just never got why other devs on earth didn't come up with their own platformer and polish them to high heaven. Just always nagged me.
🤔 ❔
jZrPPB1.jpg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
What are the reactions in this thread?

OP isn't saying best games, he's saying most polished.

This has always been Nintendo's reputation

Anyways - MGS series off the top of my head

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
What is this thread lol. There are plenty of games that meet and even exceeds the polish of Nintendo. Are we saying that PS, XBOX and PC players have no masterpiece tier games lol ?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Celeste most recently. I think what OP is going for is that gameplay first, polished to perfection gamefeel which is Nintendo's forte. Other companies excell more in storytelling or spectacle, but the gameplay from Nintendo is generally among the strongest examples in the industry. Portal is another good example.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Look at your thread title again. You've framed the entire discussion around the idea that Nintendo are obviously this superior entity that towers above all other developers, and that it's a rare thing for any game to meet their lofty standard.

Games that are as good as Nintendo games aren't rare. There's literally thousands of them.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, yeah, their games have polish, but it's not like they're uniformly just leagues above everyone at all times and I've never come across anyone who thinks like that. What even is polish here? Few glitches? Tiny details? Gameplay and world cohesion? Variety of things to do? Nintendo does a great job at this, but they're absolutely not even close to being the only ones, or are unusually good at it, and it's kinda weird to think so or broach a question which leads as if that's just the status quo.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Well Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is better than any Mario Kart game, particularly for single player. Tons of Nintendo games have lacked polish or have been clunky in various ways over the years by the way, overall their quality is really good but to act like there haven't been major missteps over the years is just false.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Non-Nintendo gamers aren't going to understand this because the thing that elevates Nintendo games above (most) games is their overall game feel and design, which you can't convey in a screenshot.

That being said, the Souls games, Resident Evil games, DOOM and the new God of War are examples that spring to mind.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication

Show Some Effort

Being the Original Poster (OP) of a thread means that it's up to you to provide the foundation for good discussion. When you create a thread, you should include more than just one or two short sentences; make sure that there is enough substance to sustain an interesting conversation. Write as clearly and articulately as possible. Consider whether you're presenting the subject in a way that will generate good discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.