• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Castlevania
Indiana Jones
Ghostbusters
Pilotwings
Turtles
Destruction Derby
Excite Truck
Wrecked
Crazy Taxi
Terminator
Jurassic Park

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Death Stranding didn't have a AAA budget.. lol. I feel like half the games in this thread have already had AAA budgets (at their times).

My pick would be Siren.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
In general the idea of a game built around observing a world with interconnected systems and societies is facisinating but IDK what value there is in Black and White specificly. Game design-wise the most obvious routes to expanding the gameplay were taken in the sequel and it just resulted in it becoming a run of the mill early 2000s RTS.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Bayonetta.

Numerous times when I was playing Devil May Cry 5, I was imagining in my head what a Bayonetta game with this quality would look like.

Although even Devil May Cry 5 isn't a triple-A game to be exact, and Bayonetta's overall quality, while looking really fantastic, roots in platform limitations.

Actually, Devil May Cry 5 could also be a much better game with a triple-A budget, with bigger and more variations in its levels and better designed environments.

I really want a triple-A character action game.

That's the problem with the "AAA" moniker anymore: Games with assets on this level

sKJXs4o.jpg

0a678c66162ec27cd0075ff156752e37.jpg

82a47b4bebbb548a81468068999d7ca1.gif

3E77ECA0683AE541B33BBBA02FEDE219EA2D8008

5A5E6D05307D3DB40BA28BF1ED3B732F82412427

AE3FC7CC5F180F3FA754E72B60D950A68D1588D3

D20A76800964E2993E5FDA7B32670A41676EDCAD

0E65F4BDC0EC804D6DF805157ED19D1ED90E25D9

running at 60fps no less is not considered AAA

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna say Pokemon too. The jump to switch was disappointing.

Also Dynasty/Samurai Warriors. I'd love to see them move to a new in house era more, but if they are going to revisit these again, I want them to have the budget or level of absolutely nailing the visuals that their licensed ventures have like Dragon Quest and Hyrule Heroes.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
That's the problem with the "AAA" moniker anymore: Games with assets on this level running at 60fps no less is not considered AAA.

I completely agree in fact. Triple-A productions are becoming more stale each year, as the budgets are getting completely out of hand.

My favorite games of last year, Control, Death Stranding and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, are not considered triple-A. On the other hand, I have no interest in most triple-A games such as Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

When you have a budget of that size and you have to appeal to every person on the planet to make that money back, there's no room left for creativity or taking risks and development becomes a matter of designing around heavy playtesting and focus groups.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't want any of my favorite franchises to become triple-A.

An imaginary Ubisoft executive, on an imaginary Bayonetta production there:
- "We need to keep the engagement ratings high. Make it open-world, and fill it with markers."
- "Skill? No, no, no. Where's the sense of progression? Enemies should have different levels and players need to collect higher level gear to defeat them."
- "Who approved these cutscenes? Who the hell is Yuji Shimomura? Nobody watches cutscenes, take them all out."
- "The story is too convoluted. Research shows players can't relate to witches and magic. If you're making fantasy, it needs to surpass Tolkien."
- "Wait, your protagonist is a woman?!"
- Project cancelled; creative people fired.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space
Banjo Kazooi
Monkey island
Castlevania metrovania style
Castlevania god of war style
Mass effect?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the games that come to my mind - and that I see here - don't need a AAA budget. They just need new games. Like F-Zero, Jumping Flash, Wave Race, 2D stuff like LocoRoco, and so on.

But I see one answer that stands out, and immediately burned into my brain as the correct answer:

Soul Reaver / Legacy of Kain

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblazer.

Give the budget to ZA/UM. Tell them to make a vastly expanded Disco Elysium with a unique magic system, multiple routes and endings for quests, starring everyone's favourite blue-collar hedge mage, John Constantine.

Oct 28, 2017
I want Dynasty Warriors 8 with a bigger budget, but I am scared that would turn it into Dynasty Warriors 9.

Once the "AAA means open world" fad dies there is a pile of franchises I want revisited but I got real open world fatigue last gen.