• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I guess what I'm trying to say is that often it's the people playing the games making political statements instead of the games themselves. It often says more about what kind of person they are than the game.
I agree with this completely. Sitting and racking your brains to come up with a political interpretation for a game doesn't make it true.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I feel like the "Keep politics out of my videogames" crowd has a totally different definition of what they mean by "politics" than people like OP, resulting in two camps just talking past each other

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
Not sure if you're serious but there's some discussion going on about discrimination towards weight and implications it has on for example health care providance (pre-existing conditions), never mind the fact that it's situated in the growing issue of world obesity and how to tackle it.
It's possible that it's an issue not discussed where I live. Or just something that flew under my radar. However when I hear the word fat shaming, I don't associate it with a political issue and rather societal one. Obesity as a growing issue has had political discussion as has provide care to those with pre-existing conditions however any relation to fat shaming seems at least to me as superficial.
Its my understanding fat shaming has no impact obesity. While I don't think that it's right to deny people care dur to pre-existing, I don't think this practice is done as a means to fat shame, and feeling fat shamed as the result of it is due to individual perception.
My point wasn't that fat shaming isn't an issue, I think it is, and don't intend to contribute to the problem. My point is that it is a societal and individual issue, rather than on political one due to a lack of it being politicized. Change minds, not laws kind of issue, but if you disagree with this point it is in fact political.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
In Ocarina of Time you play as a blonde, blue-eyed, Aryan-looking fellow who must stop Ganondorf -- a thieving foreigner who resembles various ethnic stereotypes, from a Jewish nose to Irish hair to dark skin tones from the Far East. You do this by trying to assemble the Third Reich... erm, Triforce.

Don't trust Miyamoto.

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, but to be political a game has to represent one position over others. If it contains all positions it's apolitical.
A game can be political by introducing two different views points related to a political topic and allowing players to draw there own conclusions. Dreams doesn't do this either, unless the premade stuff does this and I'm just unaware.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

Mario Kart is advocating for a progressive tax system. This is why the bottom places get better things from the game (government). The top 12.5-16.667% (depending on the game) still get kickbacks in the form of enormous amounts of bananas. But everyone else gets the really good stuff. Blue shells for when tax season comes around. Bullet bills as tax credits to help the poorer families with children. Red shells for the middle class. The ones who dont need the helping hand of the lower class, but still need something to make it through.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Yes, but to be political a game has to represent one position over others. If it contains all positions it's apolitical.
I think that's one way to label a game "political". Personally I've always thought that most games with compelling story and lore have to have some form of politics in them to drive them. Deus Ex is very political with its themes but at the same time it represents a lot of sides in its world

Oct 25, 2017
A game can be political by introducing two different views points related to a political topic and allowing players to draw there own conclusions. Dreams doesn't do this either, unless the premade stuff does this and I'm just unaware.
Dreams is straight up an attempt at giving the means of production (game development) to everyone, whether you are an elite (programmer etc) or layman (person who just enjoys games) This is political.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Super Meat Boy, please.

A person literally giving blood in a repetitive work, trying to beat the unbeatable.

Is this a worker on capitalism or just a game of super meat boy?

Universe Sandbox: Because you can't politicize THE UNIVERSE (and I will be immediately proven wrong)

Earth is round on it and the walks happily around the sun

Ninja Baseball Batman

A famous brazilian educator once said that that "When education is not liberating, the dream of the oppressed is to become the oppressor"

The entire game is based around that, from the plane that takes a plane to move to the baseball ninjas fighting other baseball characters that turned evil.

Everything is a remix. You buy cds to play more, you move the industry

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm still wait for my answers.

most people didn't even played those games!

... because in a capitalistic society we value the money injected into projects more than the love or craft involved, so most of the times we ignore games that look to be lacking monetary value because our experiences must be optimized to make our lack of money feels like worthing more than they actualy are. So the only way people would experience famously bad games is by devaluation of the price (devaluating all the hours someone spend in it) or by pirating, which in this case is an ethically sound idea to fight big corporations, but used against the little guy who deserves all the money in the world.

DeadeyeNull

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 26, 2018
Dreams is straight up an attempt at giving the means of production (game development) to everyone, whether you are an elite (programmer etc) or layman (person who just enjoys games) This is political.
False because it's not free, and is platform limited where as development tools often aren't, also your implying that knowing anything is required to attempt developing a game and I'd disagree with this point. Several games have been made by individuals who don't know what they are doing. Also almost every game is can be considered a means of production due to the raise of streaming, let's plays, speedruning and etc. Games like Persona 5 preventing this is more of a political statement.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that it's an issue not discussed where I live. Or just something that flew under my radar. However when I hear the word fat shaming, I don't associate it with a political issue and rather societal one. Obesity as a growing issue has had political discussion as has provide care to those with pre-existing conditions however any relation to fat shaming seems at least to me as superficial.
Its my understanding fat shaming has no impact obesity. While I don't think that it's right to deny people care dur to pre-existing, I don't think this practice is done as a means to fat shame, and feeling fat shamed as the result of it is due to individual perception.
My point wasn't that fat shaming isn't an issue, I think it is, and don't intend to contribute to the problem. My point is that it is a societal and individual issue, rather than on political one due to a lack of it being politicized. Change minds, not laws kind of issue, but if you disagree with this point it is in fact political.

I feel you're overthinking stuff in what basically is a joke thread and only half-serious answers :P.

Oct 25, 2017
False because it's not free, and is platform limited where as development tools often aren't, also your implying that knowing anything is required to attempt developing a game and I'd disagree with this point. Several games have been made by individuals who don't know what they are doing. Also almost every game is can be considered a means of production due to the raise of streaming, let's plays, speedruning and etc. Games like Persona 5 preventing this is more of a political statement.
Ah, yes, you're right, it is a flawed interpretation of a political idea due to the realities of game development. Obviously also Disco Elysium isn't political either because ultimately it was made by people who receive capital for their goods and or services.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken is apolitical.

All fighting games are a kind of Social Darwinism/Will to Power in action and often engage in racial and gender stereotyping.

Specific to Tekken is it's anti-corporate/anti-upper class slant, it's cynical view of family dynamics and power, and... well, much more.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A bit OT:

Recently, I started playing Shadowrun Dragonfall and I am honestly stunned at the political quagmire that the game espouses (for good) so as to feel lived in.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Honestly any person who says they want no politics normally is saying they don't want pandering/self inserted/beating the audience over the head politics.

I'm also seeing a LOT of loose interpretations of what "politics" are here as well.

Plenty of gamers like politics in their games, things like Ivalice and Metal Gear Rising have plenty of them in caricatured ways. I think most people just don't enjoy being preached at/to.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly any person who says they want no politics normally is saying they don't want pandering/self inserted/beating the audience over the head politics.

I'm also seeing a LOT of loose interpretations of what "politics" are here as well.

Plenty of gamers like politics in their games, things like Ivalice and Metal Gear Rising have plenty of them in caricatured ways. I think most people just don't enjoy being preached at/to.
Oh no this new expansion to my 90's RPG has a trans character in it this is pandering and I'm being preached to about how trans people exist.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much this. I also feel that many here only like seeing politics in a game if they see it as supporting their own viewpoints (or if they can at least twist it so, like the posts here supporting communism). For example, I can enjoy Minecraft pre-Microsoft, but if Notch had somehow inextricably embedded alt-right messaging in it, I would back away.

The real issue here is the alt-right conflating diversity and inclusiveness as political chesspieces, when really they should be treated as human rights and non-negotiable. As society becomes more aware of how marginalization hurts people, we're going to see diversity more reflective of humanity. This is just the natural course of evolution for humanity as emotionally intelligent beings.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
All fighting games are a kind of Social Darwinism/Will to Power in action and often engage in racial and gender stereotyping.

Specific to Tekken is it's anti-corporate/anti-upper class slant, it's cynical view of family dynamics and power, and... well, much more.
It's not anti corporate. The Mishima Zaibatsu is evil (a private company that declares its independance, and war on the entire world is evil, from my point of view), someone needs to stand against them. And just because ONE family in the game's universe is fucked up doesn't mean Tekken's view on the concept of family is.

No. Tekken is apolitical.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no this new expansion to my 90's RPG has a trans character in it this is pandering and I'm being preached to about how trans people exist.
A trans person shouldn't be seen as "politics." They're human beings. When someone tries to put them in the "politics" box, they're trying to change the narrative so that a trans person's humanity is debatable.