• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily believe it is apolitical but I want to see what people come up with:

Kingdom Hearts
Xehanort's obsession with power and control led him down a self destructive path that eventually led to his downfall. Instead of realizing the strength of bringing people together, he was more interested to see how a new war could change the current status quo and wasn't concerned with the potential consequences of something so destructive.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty easy one. Wario exploits his friends by having them make popular video games while he reaps in the profits, and once they realize he's taking advantage of them, they team up and gang up on him so they can get their fair share of the game profits.

Capitalism bad, collective action good.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I don't necessarily believe it is apolitical but I want to see what people come up with:

Kingdom Hearts

Xenohart or whatever believes that the current establishment/way of the world needs to be destroyed to bring about true change and peace, and balance of light and dark. His methods to achieve that is overthrowing all that is known and flooding the world with destruction via the heartless, he directly and indirectly enlists the aid of known villains to help him further his plans, because he feels it for the greater good as seen through his eyes and experiences.

In that sense he's no different than a organization seizing control of any governmental body because they feel the old way isn't working and they can bring about something new even ignoring the death and destruction their method is bringing about.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
What political discussions around fat shaming have taken place? If a topic has more than one view point is it suddenly political? If so is the word "political" inherently meaningless because it applies to all "things" as broadly as the word "thing"? I feel like a topic isn't political till it becomes politicized.

Not sure if you're serious but there's some discussion going on about discrimination towards weight and implications it has on for example health care providance (pre-existing conditions), never mind the fact that it's situated in the growing issue of world obesity and how to tackle it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Even if it's repesentation looks more like 2 player football (the soccer one), they choose tennis, a game known to make strict rules about how small the women's skirt must be

www.thecut.com

A Brief (and Frustrating) History of People Policing Womenā€™s Tennis Outfits

Serena Williamsā€™s all-black bodysuit was recently banned from the French Open.

Now it is up to you if they are in favor since they choose it or they choose it to provoke since their players are genderless and cannot be less sexual representations of a human being

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
How about someone define "political" in games because it seems the definition is so broad that merely existing is political and I don't think that's what a significant amount of people are talking about when they say politics in games.

You really can't "define it" in such a way because everyone has a different view on it. Even those who cry "keep politics out of my games!!!!!" For them "politics" might simply be not adding minority main characters in games and keeping main character white, or for developers to stop making female characters that are well rounded characters and wear logical armor and go back to female characters being merely sexual objects for them to masturbate to (losers). For other people they don't want don't want a game like Wolfenstein to say Nazi are bad (lol fucking losers). Some don't want game commenting on current US events (Are Australian current events okay?)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure this is a joke, but:
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Free will VS predestination
Satisfy one's desire for vengeance, but also cave in to a higher power and become its slave VS show mercy and defy fate
Renouncing one's past as a religious, brainwashed fanatic

Oct 28, 2019
You really can't "define it" in such a way because everyone has a different view on it. Even those who cry "keep politics out of my games!!!!!" For them "politics" might simply be not adding minority main characters in games and keeping main character white, or for developers to stop making female characters that are well rounded characters and wear logical armor and go back to female characters being merely sexual objects for them to masturbate to (losers). For other people they don't want don't want a game like Wolfenstein to say Nazi are bad (lol fucking losers). Some don't want game commenting on current US events (Are Australian current events okay?)
I guess what I'm trying to say is that often it's the people playing the games making political statements instead of the games themselves. It often says more about what kind of person they are than the game.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Universe Sandbox: Because you can't politicize THE UNIVERSE (and I will be immediately proven wrong)

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Satisfy one's desire for vengeance, but also cave in to a higher power and become its slave VS show mercy and defy fate

Made with novelty in mind, but there is plenty of commentary to be highlighted that is often overlooked.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Also, genocide.
Is fighting back an appropriate answer?
Can fighting tyranny with violence beget greater evil? etc.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
gL45hbH.jpg

Komali

Sep 25, 2018

Kingdom Hearts
Villains are dark-skinned, female characters are weak and treated horribly, there is a lot of Christian symbolism (such as seven deadly sins) and Yen Sid's name backwards is Disney, who is accused of being an antisemite, a misogynist and a racist.

Ouchie ouch.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I guess what I'm trying to say is that often it's the people playing the games making political statements instead of the games themselves. It often says more about what kind of person they are than the game.

But games are still political. Politics make up a large part of a person's worldview directly and indirectly. Even when designing games the stories are drawn from real life politics, positions, and views on society and how the artists/designers/writers feel.

Realistically the only way you could truly make an apolitical game is if you were born and raised yourself away from society. All media is influenced by politics, if you don't notice it more than likely it's because it's something you agree with and/or you're used to that particular perspective being the default/widely accepted viewpoint in society. Example being: You're not going to get much complaint about a game where the main character is a badass killing "terrorists", despite the fact such a premise is inherently political as hell and chalk full of pro western imperialism. But I guarantee you the moment a game is about a "foreign character" who is part of a secret government program from his home country (bonus points if they're muslim) and is in a war torn US city to help restore the country and he has to gun down random American NPCs, plants a flag that is of his home country there would be a HUGE fit and cries about politics being shoved into the game.

I actually brought that up in a thread where someone asked where would they like to see Division 3 take place, and people were like Africa, China, etc.No one blinked twice at the idea of US agents going into another country with no accountability and being able to do whatever to the people in the name of "freedom" and restoring order. We basically get that with every CoD and military shooter bang ever. But the reverse would be met with much hatred

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 is clearly not political at all, it even says as such at the start of every game.

Oct 25, 2017
But games are still political. Politics make up a large part of a person's worldview directly and indirectly. Even when designing games the stories are drawn from real life politics, positions, and views on society and how the artists/designers/writers feel.

Realistically the only way you could truly make an apolitical game is if you were born and raised yourself away from society. All media is influenced by politics, if you don't notice it more than likely it's because it's something you agree with and/or you're used to that particular perspective being the default/widely accepted viewpoint in society. Example being: You're not going to get much complaint about a game where the main character is a badass killing "terrorists", despite the fact such a premise is inherently political as hell and chalk full of pro western imperialism. But I guarantee you the moment a game is about a "foreign character" who is part of a secret government program from his home country (bonus points if they're muslim) and is in a war torn US city to help restore the country and he has to gun down random American NPCs, plants a flag that is of his home country there would be a HUGE fit and cries about politics being shoved into the game.

I actually brought that up in a thread where someone asked where would they like to see Division 3 take place, and people were like Africa, China, etc.No one blinked twice at the idea of US agents going into another country with no accountability and being able to do whatever to the people in the name of "freedom" and restoring order. We basically get that with every CoD and military shooter bang ever. But the reverse would be met with much hatred

Technically you couldn't make an apolitical game outside of society because it's not the author but rather the interpreter that makes that determination (consequently it also means for any person who chooses to see a game as apolitical it is!). You can even get the Scarface effect where the popular interpretation is directly the opposite of what might have been intended.