• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
"More bang for your bucks" mentality that led big budget single player videogames to become empty, overly bloated grindfests.

Nothing but self serious pseudo-realism allowed in sport and racing games.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I was thinking more Overwatch quickplay, but really I don't find online gaming relaxing anymore. Used to be fun. Now it's a nightmare.

Weirdly enough, I've found that Counter Strike: Global Offensive's casual mode to be fairly chill. Strangely, Destiny and Overwatch quickplay/casual are stressful. People take it way too seriously. I pretty much just join up with people in overwatch to play against the AI.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just one?

Open world games
every game must have rpg elements
every game holding your hands.
pre order bonus

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
The need to have extremely specific genre names.

Looter shooter roguelikevania? No. We don't need that shit.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
People not understand what "trend" means and just complaining about a certain game they hate.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like mad max is exactly the type of game that should have massive space between important points on the map

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
- Crafting in every game.
- RPG elements in every game.
- Game maps with so many markers you get discouraged just looking at them.
- This type of sidequest? Do it 100+ times with barely any variation.
- Giant worlds that look like a bunch of copy/paste into eternity.
- Finding tons of useless items that are just a slightly different compromise to the one you already have.
- Roguelike.
- Loot boxes.
- GaaS.
- Procedurally-generated.
- "Free-to-play"
- Full-price games shipping in Early-Access state.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike the focus on story. I play a game for the gameplay and the continual cutscenes where all the good things happen tire me, especially when it's cutscene, a minute of gameplay, then another cutscene. It's also frustrating when they're showing off a game and you don't see any gameplay or in game footage

If I wanted an amazing story, I'd watch a TV show or a movie. I'm fine with there being a story, but it being the core focus is tiresome. It's why I gravitate more towards Nintendo and indies, they focus on gameplay.
Lots of indies are heavily focused on story

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Lootboxes, loot lamas and blind packs or whatever the dev/pub chooses to call them. If there's real money involved in buying them I hate it.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The death of arcade racers and sports games. Everything is now supposed to be "REALISTIC DRIBBLING AND COLLISION ENGINE THAT WILL IMMERSE YOU INTO THE CINEMATIC GAMEPLAY".

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Releasing unfinished games that cant be recognized as a finished game until 6 months plus after release.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looting things / constantly picking up junk, junk, junk. Games like the Division, I mean I enjoyed it overall, but if I went to see a military thriller movie and half the movie was the protagonist digging around in drawers so he could use 30 screws to make his gun marginally more accurate, I'd walk out of the damn theater.

In old-school RPGs it's one thing (and welcome) but it doesn't belong in every game. Also, it's infinitely worse if you have to hold a button to do it.

This bugs the heck out of me in AC: Origins, especially when you get to a loot box where you have to be in a near perfect position to be able to hold A/X. BOTW had that nice quick kicking animation.

Bigly

Dec 12, 2017
Yearly releases of a given series at whatever the cost; quality, player base, development team, all seem to suffer in the end.

Also, big pass on seasonal passes.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Forced inclusion, I'm looking at you, Overwatch.

I'm hoping I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by this, because if not, this is a terrible answer.

Inclusion and representation are a good thing and absolutely vital. All the time, every time. (Well, unless you're making a documentary or something highlighting the lack of representation and inclusion in media, I suppose.) People other than cis white folks deserve to see themselves represented on-screen, whether it's in video games, movies, TV, or whatever else. The whole "forced" thing doesn't hold any water either, and never does, because opponents of equality always think inclusion is forced as any variation from their norm is unconscionable and brain-breaking and can't possibly really exist or be worthy of acknowledgment.

Unless you're talking about "forced inclusion" in a COMPLETELY different context, in which case, please correct me! I don't want to put words in your mouth if I'm wrong about my interpretation of your answer.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forced inclusion, I'm looking at you, Overwatch.
dude what, are you one of those people?

os5dorg2a0131.jpg

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
I'm hoping I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by this, because if not, this is a terrible answer.

Inclusion and representation are a good thing and absolutely vital. All the time, every time. (Well, unless you're making a documentary or something highlighting the lack of representation and inclusion in media, I suppose.) People other than cis white folks deserve to see themselves represented on-screen, whether it's in video games, movies, TV, or whatever else. The whole "forced" thing doesn't hold any water either, and never does, because opponents of equality always think inclusion is forced as any variation from their norm is unconscionable and brain-breaking and can't possibly really exist or be worthy of acknowledgment.

Unless you're talking about "forced inclusion" in a COMPLETELY different context, in which case, please correct me! I don't want to put words in your mouth if I'm wrong about my interpretation of your answer.
No, you are right, I made a poor comment and I apologize for it. After thinking about it , what bothers me it's not inclusion itself, is the way that publishers and media make a big deal about it, feels more like marketing than honest inclusion, I felt it with Overwatch. I also don't like when they retconn characters to fill an agenda, kinda like Jk Rowling ( or David Jaffe for a videogame example).

I hope that makes my point a little bit more clear, and I apologize again for the way I expressed it.

Mar 6, 2018
-crafting/survival crap in almost every game,
-paying for type of content that was once unlocked by playing,
-forced walking sections and long intros in which you can't do anything,
-ultra generic stories nobody gives a damn about....

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
While the first things that come to mind are popular complaints like open world everything and RPG mechanics stuffed everywhere, I'd say the biggest issue is how often design trends seem to be emulated and implemented without much thought regarding whether these popular elements actually serve to make YOUR game better.

I have no bone to pick with open worlds, rpg mechanics or procedural generation on their own, but so many games seem to draw from those wells in a fashion that seems akin to notching off bullet points on a Must Have list rather than really thinking through how they change the entire make-up of a game. RPG elements are probably the most egregious because in many cases they're just a bunch of nothing skills that are there so players can have something to pop for a dopamine surge and the illusion of player agency when you get to click a dichotomous skill tree and get some banal ass upgrade that you'll never practically notice. As a person who loves chargen, loves CRPGs and loves the idea of honest-to-god progression, it's a bummer that some games don't know how to stay in their own lane and don't know that they'd be much better off if they did so.

Sundered is a good recent-ish example in some ways. Gorgeous art style, decent metroidvania structure, solid gameplay, and then a bunch of garbage proc gen that only serves to magnify problems with lack of content because what little is there is stretched as thinly, and thus transparently, as possible. Add in a really lackluster sphere grid system that ensures grinding takes priority over player skill and you've got a murky concoction that manages to do everything fundamentally right at a base level before self-sabotaging and turning what could've been a solid 5 hour game into a slog of a 10+ hour one.

Djihen

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Nintendo shipping half-assed product that they have to correct through updates. I prefer when they were known for the polish of their games at release.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Waaay too much Hand-Holding in general:

-bloated tutorials
-busy, obnoxious HUD elements
-endless tips & pop-ups
-checklist style design where you're just mindlessly collecting random BS or following flashing markers to one menial task after another.
-quantity over quality when it comes to rewarding players. I like loot. I don't like a sea of meaningless loot for every little dumb thing

Oct 30, 2017
The Focus on stories to the detriment of choice and creativity.

I really don't go to video games just to sit through some asshole's movie.