• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's been mentioned a few times already, but, yep, first image that comes to mind here:

29367e67ece3535345334e50faa437fa7aacd1fb.jpg

A very memorable image, although in some contexts you might get screamed at for "spoiling" the ending. I love so much about that remake. Phil Kaufman gave cameos to Don Siegel and Kevin McCarthy, director and lead actor of the 1956 version. The Amazing Grace scene is also a beautiful depiction of hope renewed and then swiftly dashed. All this and Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy, too.

Pod people are a little underused in fiction, but Edgar Wright's The World's End is a good humorous take on the notion.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
A very memorable image, although in some contexts you might get screamed at for "spoiling" the ending. I love so much about that remake. Phil Kaufman gave cameos to Don Siegel and Kevin McCarthy, director and lead actor of the 1956 version. The Amazing Grace scene is also a beautiful depiction of hope renewed and then swiftly dashed. All this and Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy, too.

And: A young Jeff Goldblum goldbluming it up already in 1978:

tumblr_mcz9taErkW1qbao74.jpg

Pod people are a little underused in fiction, but Edgar Wright's The World's End is a good humorous take on the notion.

True.

tumblr_mx3rvlIRXi1qb3ycmo1_r1_500.gif

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Shin Godzilla.

It being (Another) remake. But it's basically based on the first film with some more update politics and ways that Japan handles things. Fantastic film and after watching almost all Godzilla movies, Shin Godzilla has to be the perfect Godzilla movie.
Better than the black and white Gojira......that's a hard no.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
There is Andy Warhol's movie called Vinyl:

It's weird.

Film as art is often very strange to watch. I love it very much. Derek Jarman is probably my favourite artist turned film director.

If you're wide awake and have a good eye for faces, you may notice Karl Johnson, the actor who plays the aged and unintelligible local police officer in Hot Fuzz. His is the first face you see.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Oh you're really going to have to defend this.

Snyder's Dawn is good but better than arguably the greatest zombie film ever in the original Dawn?
Frankly my defense is shit, but I have seen people agree with my sentiment. It's just more fun, Romero's is a classic, fantastic flick. But Snyder's version has a visceral style and sense of fun that can only really come from modernized filmmaking tech, the opening is fucking wild as well. I like them both on their own merits, but if I had to pick one to rewatch or watch with friends it'd be Snyder's version.

Oct 25, 2017
The Thing

Might be controversial but : the Evil Dead remake. Not necessarily fair since the original is basically an amateur film but still, that was a brilliant reinterpretation.

I would disagree with the Scarface mentions though. I much prefer the black and white version. The De Palma film is one of his weakest imo.
Yeah I'd also push back on the Scarface stuff. The original is brilliant and that was despite a much more challenging environment to realize it.

Agree with Oceans 11 as mentioned. The remakes are largely just people chummily doing heist stuff, but it works much better than the Rat Pack.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ben-Hur for sure, the 1959 version, of course. How annoying that I have to make that clarification. It has been 60 years since its release, and the chariot race is still an unbelievable sequence. Easily trumps the vast majority of scenes that pass for "action" these days.

Good call.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ben-Hur for sure, the 1959 version, of course. How annoying that I have to make that clarification. It has been 60 years since its release, and the chariot race is still an unbelievable sequence. Easily trumps the vast majority of scenes that pass for "action" these days.
They're never going to replicate the spectacle of those films because whatever movie you make now we know they didn't just hire a thousand extras or the Spanish army or build an actual stadium.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Are we confusing remakes and adaptations? Because Little Shop would probably be an adaptation. Or would it. Because it's a movie based on a musical play that was based on another movie. So I guess it's both?

How about Wizard of Oz? The Judy Garland one. The most well known one. That's an adaptation too. But there were like at least half a dozen other Oz movies before it. And a few after it.

Two of my favorite movies BTW.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evil Dead and Dawn of the Dead mentions are fucking whack, couldn't be more wrong.

As for my pick, even though it's been mentioned it's the hills have eyes. Iconic movie that's still great but hampered by the fact the "special effects" were mostly beards, loincloths and Michael Berryman.(and I am not taking the piss out of Berryman, the dude took what he had and used it not only has he had a great career but he is a horror legend) It's a movie that wAs just waiting for CGI and a budget.
It's either this or the jump from The Thing From Another World to The Thing.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
All the Dawn of the Dead posts are making me sad as hell.

I did like the remake but the original is far better.

Younger audience I suppose.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

When I finally got around to seeing that version, I was indeed a bit disappointed that I knew how the final scene would end thanks that image.