• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
2007112202815_1.jpg

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Touchscreen TWEWY controls perfectly.

Maybe too perfectly because it feels unbalanced as fuck in your favor. I think by the Switch remake they realized that because extra scenario boils down to you Bullet Hell-ing everything.

can't defend pointer controls though.

The DS version has awful controls too for single player but no one is ready to hear that.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People will tell you the DS version is better, but I still cannot get a hang of the combat in it. I always end up just focusing on the bottom screen the entire time.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly? I've been playing TWEWY Final Remix in handheld mode and it's my favourite version of the game.

There are games with FAR more imprecise controls out there.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
People will tell you the DS version is better, but I still cannot get a hang of the combat in it. I always end up just focusing on the bottom screen the entire time.
DS TWEWY is good for Co-Op but in single player its kind of a mess.

Though I'm clearly the minority on that.
Say that to my 80% of tap inputs failing.
Tbh I assumed you were talking pointer because you're one of the few I've seen say the touchscreen was imprecise.

When it comes to handheld mode TWEWY the usual criticism I hear is the opposite, that it's /too/ precise and the game was clearly not well balanced around it and makes it too easy.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd say that TWEWY DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Metroid Prime Hunters are probably some of my favorite to control games - but considering I actually liked the MH claw on PSP, I'm definitely a cryptid or something.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Concerning controls on the OG DS TWEWY, if you are having trouble you might need to pay more attention to the order of our pins. Pin activation is prioritized by the order in which you slot them and some pins have the same touch activation or very similar. You can also use the 'sub' pin feature to make switching between pins easier.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I own TWEWY on DS, but never got round to it. I bought the Switch version because I heard it had extra content.

It really is awful to control, isn't it.

So now I'm kinda stuck in limbo with this game. I can play the DS copy on my 3DS, but then I feel like I'm missing out on a more complete experience :/

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Concerning controls on the OG DS TWEWY, if you are having trouble you might need to pay more attention to the order of our pins. Pin activation is prioritized by the order in which you slot them and some pins have the same touch activation or very similar. You can also use the 'sub' pin feature to make switching between pins easier.

I can confirm this is the same on Switch in handheld. If you want one tap effect prioritised over another it needs to be "higher up" on your pin deck.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
None of you know what imprecise controls are until you play either Major Minor's Majestic March or Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor

TWEWY on Switch is entirely playable. There are speedruns of people using both joy cons by themselves with few mistakes. And portable mode is completely fine if you arrange your pins correctly, minimize motion overlap and preferably use a nice stylus with the touch screen sensitivity turned to the stylus setting.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like TWEWY, I don't have much interest in the Switch version because of the controls.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I was shocked upon replaying TWEWY for the first time in a decade that the pacing was much different than I remembered.

So many major story Beats happen in Week One that I remembered as being much more pivotal and happening slightly later. Not a bad thing, in fact it's a great thing.

What I wouldn't give for any future Nomura produced/directed game to have the tight pacing of TWEWY.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
You really should go back and play TWEWY on the DS. It was obviously designed with that system and its unique aspects in mind and it plays beautifully on that hardware. I'm really not surprised to find out the controls haven't really converted well to consoles without the dual screen

On topic, Metroid Prime Hunters, also on DS incidentally, gave me some serious hand cramps, so that's probably the worst controlling game I can think of off the top of my head