• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm talking about BLIND FAITH here.

NO Trailers.

NO screenshots. (Maximum only the images displayed when buying the game)

You just get the game based on the name and knowing nothing else except maybe the genre (if that is not a spoiler itself).

The folks who know about these games posted here can either vouch for it, or deny it being the case...WITHOUT explaining why if you really want to you can use spoiler tags.

For example I think Undertale or The Witness falls under this category in my opinion.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Any game with a good twist or mystery imo.

Persona 4 and Shadow of the Colossus are 2 that come to mind atm.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Probably most mystery visual novels, the less you know the better.

AI The Somnium Files is one I recently played that felt like this. As much as I love the game, recommending it is a bit tough beyond saying "its good trust me" because you just don't want to end up saying too much.

I'm guessing the Zero Escape series also falls under this.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
A lot of games, like Danganronpa and many others, but I think the king of this category would be...

Doki Doki Literature Club. For obvious reasons, if you know about it.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Metal Gear Solid. Original PS1.

Routine anti-terrorist infiltration operation becomes descent into madness as you deal with dopplegangers, cowboys, psychopathic psychics and a beastmaster. Never played Metal Gear 1 or 2 so Solid was my first when I was like 11. Absolutely ridiculous experience that I had no idea what I was in for.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the Metal Gear Solid franchise. Go into the bat shit crazy raw and naked.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of The Witness.

I'd also say Outer Wilds fits this description. That's a game you definitely want to go into entirely blind.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original NieR (now getting remastered).

Just play it, beat it, and then talk about it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Ace Attorney. Go in expecting lawyer game, come out experiencing Pokemon courtroom

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
Please, people,
Would you kindly mention Bioshock?
Surely, it deserves a mention.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Every game. Every movie, every book, everything is better the less you know about it, because unexpectedness is an integral part of compelling art.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think Frog Fractions and The Stanley Parable pretty much win this category. They have major twists and defy expectations in a way that most commercial AAA games do not.

I don't know why people suggest the FromSoft/Souls games. If I went into those blind I would probably just quit after 20 minutes -- "Yeah this is busted and I'm making no progress." They pretty much require you to know and expect a huge investment of time and effort. Unless you know that there is a payoff after all the frustration and suffering, there is little reason to want to continue.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Golden Sun and Rockman.EXE 3. Just saw them on the shelf by luck. Their box arts grabbed my attention.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
Gone Home is a MUST to play this way. I played through it all the way having no idea what the goal was, enjoyed every second.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Portal - jaw dropping if you know nothing about the main mechanic
BoTW - No other game has the same kind of open world

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds as the core gameplay revolves around figuring how stuff works. There are quite a few games that benefit from not knowing much about them beforehand, but Outer Wilds hinges on that imo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Exploring the world and discovering all the small details and interactions first hand must be mind blowing.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid. Original PS1.

Routine anti-terrorist infiltration operation becomes descent into madness as you deal with dopplegangers, cowboys, psychopathic psychics and a beastmaster. Never played Metal Gear 1 or 2 so Solid was my first when I was like 11. Absolutely ridiculous experience that I had no idea what I was in for.
When we got our first PlayStation it came with a demo disc and Metal Gear Solid was among the offerings. The demo only comprised the first two screens of the game; it ended as soon as you crawled into the facility. I played it a few times and thought it was okay, but at stage of my life I was into adventure games and RPGs and had no interest in some super-serious military game.

A couple years later my mom started dating a guy and he had a box full of PS1 games, nothing that really piqued my interest, mostly sports, racing, etc. And that super serious military game I had played a demo of way back when. One day, out of sheer boredom and possibly dumb luck I decided to give it a whirl, expecting to grow tired of it after an hour or two.

Long story short, here we are two decades later and Hideo Kojima is my personal hero.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah for real, the trailers will either hype you up or confuse and draw you away. Need to just experience this for yourself.

Any game with a good twist or mystery imo.

Persona 4 and Shadow of the Colossus are 2 that come to mind atm.
I'm glad the only I ever heard about persona 4 was that I needed to play it. Bought a vita and a random customer was like "you need to get this game man, that's all I'll say". Luckily it went on sale soon after that and man was it amazing.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Probably most mystery visual novels, the less you know the better.

AI The Somnium Files is one I recently played that felt like this. As much as I love the game, recommending it is a bit tough beyond saying "its good trust me" because you just don't want to end up saying too much.

I'm guessing the Zero Escape series also falls under this.
Yeah, Zero Escape definitely falls under this, because the unique aspect to sell people on the first game, is kind of a huge spoiler. Plus, each subsequent game takes it as a given that you know said twist, so it's hard recommending without giving something away beyond the main concept.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every good game. Not knowing the stuff that would have hyped you for the game in the first place means every one of those hype-worthy mechanics and moments is a first. I don't see how that could be anything but a good thing, especially considering how often trailers often show more than they should. Of course, the anticipation itself can feel very rewarding when it gives you a solid pay-off.

The only other argument against going into a good game blind is if it gets good later on and you're the kind of person who easily quits something without giving it much of a chance. Even in those cases, that's really more of a you problem.

Last edited: