• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness doesn't really pick up until an hour in. It's only fetch quests to start.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Kingdom Hearts II makes you play as some twerp for three hours, and it only has any emotional payoff if you played a game that was released three years later.

The first thing you have to do in that game is go fishing to feed a cat.

I was agog.
358/2 days has to be played after Kingdom Hearts 2.
The intro is just a setup for Roxas' backstory and makes you understand all nobodies are (almost) real people with real feelings and emotions.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
The linear guest house peppered with unskippable cutscenes and encounters? It's amazing on a first playthrough.

And then after the shock value has lowered on replays, it becomes a slog as you realize everything with Mia is a glorified cutscene.

I appreciate RE7 a lot more the older this game gets. Texas Chainsaw and Evil Dead are some of my favourite horror movies and RE7 is highly inspired by these. Loved the dlc's too. The whole project is big experiment and breath of fresh air after RE6.

But yeah, replayability is borked. When you first meet Mia, you have to slow walk for 6 minutes with her character blocking your way lol. This is one of the things i dislike in modern video games.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is especially maddening because Aonuma flat out told us that they had learned their lesson from the long TP introduction. And then they just did it again. Some truly baffling design choices in this game.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV takes forever to get going and throws way too much at you with very limited explanation.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Evil Within's opening is also incredibly obnoxious and not indicative of its actual rather great and fun gameplay.

It has it all. Slow-walk, fucking limping stealth sections, slow-walk escape sequence, invincible stalker...it's so much annoying shit in one bag, it's amazing I made it past that. It was even more trying on my subsequent playthroughs.
Have you played 2? One of the levels in 2 basically has a
remix of the first game's intro but you go after and kill the chainsaw guy head on iirc. Pretty hilarious and cathartic

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yakuza series tend to have slow starts. Same with some of Falcom's Ys games. Once they get into the good stuff though, they become a fun experience.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

10 minutes of pushing up on the left analog stick, only to catch a break when Sutherland pisses all over the floor.
This is true, but at least it nails the spectacle. If you're going to do a slow walking segment, there should at least be some cool shit going on.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
* sees thread title *
"Oh hey, that reminds me of twiligh...
*click on thread *
* first reply *
the legend of zelda twilight princess
HIJ2EXu.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword. I'm a huge Zelda fan and even I almost turned the game off before the opening section. To be honest though, the game never truly let's go of your hand the whole way through.

Twilight Princess opening hour or so was tedious, from what I remember.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
RDR 2's opening is terrible, so badly paced. There are so many ways they could have got players up to speed with the mechanics, characters and story without dragging it out the way they did.

Compare it to GTA V where you have a short section introducing Michael and Trevor before hitting Los Santos and the game starting proper.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Final Fantasy IX up until The Evil Forest, cute intro to the characters but a tad longer than needed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza series tend to have slow starts. Same with some of Falcom's Ys games. Once they get into the good stuff though, they become a fun experience.
I foresee many people complaining about 7's slow start once its released over here. The first chapter is pretty long, and pretty much all cutscenes with a couple of tutorials. I'm sure that'll rub people up the wrong way but it really is required what with it having to set up several brand new key characters. 6 wasn't much quicker to start mind you, I feel like that had a good 30 minute intro before you did anything other than fighting one short boss fight.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Of the games I played recently, FFXII. The "gameplay" is dull af and the story isn't much better.

I'd rather play Twilight Princess a thousand times and I don't even like that game.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
Despite getting amazing later, Yakuza 3's whole orphanage section in the beginning was pretty boring.
Yakuza 3's pacing overall is probably the second worst in the series for me after 5 but they have some of the best story moments which is weird. Yakuza 2 has possibly the best pacing in the series but I feel like the game doesn't really do much overall.

The first chapter of The Evil Within is an excellent piece of linear survival horror on the first play through, but the forced slow walk and lack of any offensive option (unless you count cheesing the enemy AI for 20 minutes to eventually stab your pursuer to death) is not good for multiple play throughs and should probably have been skippable for Nightmare and Akumu difficulties.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Oblivion and The Saboteur come to mind. The Saboteur's racing sequence felt like it went on forever. Oblivion's sewers dragged as I wanted to explore the open world ASAP. Tho the first view after the boring sewers totally pays it off. I mean look at it!

8Nffn19.jpg

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I only played through Star Wars KOTOR II once, I loved that game (more than the first) but I remember the first level being veeeeery long and boring. You spend like two hours running in a ship wearing your underwear and fighting with a blade. Star Wars! That's how I remember it anyway.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Titanfall 2. That boring training segment. But then it swiftly turns in to one of the best single player campaigns of the generation.

Uncharted 4. The first ~8 chapters are boring as hell. But then it becomes good when you reach Scotland. Until the next Nate kid part in the house anyway.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I almost quit after the first 15/20 minutes of Silent Hill 2 and planned on returning the game to the store.

After that it became one of my all time favourites. So glad I chewed through that intro.