• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
BotW is too hard :p
But thankfully all the real difficult enemy encounters are avoidable as you can just make it a stealth game

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64 kicking you out of a level after every star (something that carried over into Sunshine and Galaxy 1+2) is annoying at times, and just artificially extends the length of the game. Banjo-Kazooie did it better.
I want to say I agree, but at the same time I like how the levels will change depending on which star you go after.

Whereas in B&K it would just be one version of the level.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the complaints about a lot of the dialogue in Life Is Strange, but Chloe saying "bidness" is very dumb.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
RDR2 is my favorite game of all time, but the way it assigns me random weapons on any mission where I'm not on my horse is mildly infuriating.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
images

give me the sideeye pls

came for this

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I want to say I agree, but at the same time I like how the levels will change depending on which star you go after.

Whereas in B&K it would just be one version of the level.
It definitely works in some levels, like Whomp's Fortress and Jolly Roger Bay, but it's just obnoxious in others like Tick-Tock Clock and Rainbow Cruise, where you'll just follow the same path multiple times in these linear stages just to get all the stars (and those levels don't notably change between stars)

I still love Mario 64, but on repeat play through (which I have done many of) it gets to me a bit.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not being able to suplex Villagers in RE4 Mercs as Leon was always pretty trash. It literally puts him at a disadvantage character wise when it comes to getting high scores.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Planescape Torment has pretty lame melee combat, which should be avoided.

Nier Automata has an infuriating map design, even if it's intended. The sand dunes area is also way too big.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
FFX: Blitzball sucks
Persona 3: December sucks
Nier Automata: I'm fully on board with Route B being necessary and I don't regret playing it but it did kinda drag
Pokemon Black 1 and White 1: Loved the all new dex, but I can't help but feel like as a result a lot of NPCs' rosters were lacking in variety.
Undertale: Honestly wish it had an easy mode (though not for Genocide obviously). It took me quite awhile to get used to the controls and I would've had an even better time with it if there was one.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
The difficulty is way too low. It basically peaks with the Tarantula boss, which is in like the first 1/4 of the game. It only becomes somewhat challenging if you actively try to avoid nearly all regular battles.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There's no perfect way to play MGS3, each version comes with caveats. The original is top-down which is just kinda bleh, Subsistence has the most content and was the best way to play... Until 3DS added Peace Walker style crouch walking and more forgiving controls in general, while running at a terrible frame-rate sometimes and being generally uglier outside of better face models.

The best Metal Gear collection would up-rez the 3DS version but I doubt Konami will ever fund that.

Edit: Also the crotch-grabbing yeah, but the boss characters being silly is a big part of the appeal and I'd have it no other way

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy felt a bit experimental sometimes, with the more open ended levels feeling a bit undercooked in what seemingly was a linear game.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's not one of my favorite games but I do love BotW. The not being able go climb in the rain bit? An AWFUL design decision

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Resident Evil 4: The island is a huge meltdown in comparation of the village and the castle.
Silent Hill 4: Isn't on steam or modern consoles.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Xenogears is unfinished.

Beat by a minute.

Devil May Cry (franchise) - platforming moments are terrible, even now somehow.
Bayonetta - The weird Space Harrier level is awkwardly balanced on every difficulty. Terrible addition
Dead Space - Meteor shooting segments are silly and there should have only been one, not 3.
Resident Evil - Invincible windows.
Street Fighter - terrible tutorials or lack there of.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The free movement that enemies get when you spot them in XCOM Enemy Unknown is one of the worst, and sometimes incredibly unfair, game design decisions in a game that I otherwise love.

Xenoblade 2's gacha system for summons, the fact that it tethers each summon to a character and that it is very hard to transfer them between different characters is an unholy trifecta of what-were-you-thinking dumb game decisions.

Dark Souls 2 is at times brilliant, at times frustrating and frequently unfair in terms of its enemy placement but the single design decision I dislike the most is the homing of every melee attack and how fast enemies spin to face your character as if they were sitting on a record player. This flaw is specially notable when you are facing the "turtle knights" that were designed to counter backstabs but spin so fast that I reckon a lot of players didn't get to see that.

Breath of the Wild should have had a recipe book.

Most Classic Western RPGs - don't give stat choice decisions unless you explain those stats and their impact very well. Most games only do one or zero of those things.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Dragon's Dogma-storyline
Persona 3-tartarus randomly generated dungeon crawler
FF14-avoid yellow target area combat mechanic

Last edited:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild

- Food system is totally broken. Being able to eat anything you want during combat makes a lot of stuff too easy. There's not a great correlation between how rare something is vs how effective it is (e.g. relatively rare beetles are weaker than fish that you can easily find in schools of 30). There are a bunch of neat-looking recipes for health restoring food, but they all suck compared to just cooking a single common hearty radish.

- Could use more enemy variety.

- Rito portion of the main quest was very much lacking in content, like they just didn't get around to fleshing it out.

- Big missed opportunity by not having more dungeons similar to the castle around the world.

- I don't hate the weapon degradation conceptually, but the extra inventory management that came with it is pretty annoying

Aquova

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Sonic Adventure 2 had somersault, light speed dash, and the bounce move all bound to the same button. I don't know how many times I rolled or bounced to my death instead of dashing through rings.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
BoTW Master Mode isn't much fun because the vastly increased enemy health + health regen breaks the core combat balance of the game. It also has poor enemy variety.

Nier Automata has serious pacing issues, and the open world does more harm than good.

Bloodborne's vial system can lead to very boring moments if you wind up stuck at a boss long enough to run out. That forces you to go out and grind, which sends the game's progression and pace grinding to a halt. And its chalice dungeons suck.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Persona 5: Haru's dad dungeon should not exist, slog level. Hifumi should have been a phantom thief instead of Haru. I would take out those homosexual stereotype characters, no point in them existing if you're going to do them like that.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Dragon's Dogma feels incomplete, which it kinda is as it was scaled back massively from their original design. It doesn't have enough enemies and has repetitive encounters with them, and the graphics are kinda bland most of the time. Still the best game ever though.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles dropped some of the unique otherworldness of the first 2 games for more "realistic" locations, and used darker colours and dithering to make it work. Still looks great though. Oh yeah, and Carnival Night with the barrel, what were they thinking...

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 has too many motion controlled gimmicks.

Smash Ultimate has subpar online

God of War (2018) has a terrible and slow traversal system

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is stuck on a 240p screen.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
In Saint's Row 2 the vehicles have no sense of weight and are often unwieldy when going fast. It also has terrible rubber banding when it comes to police chases.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
All time faves:

Fallout New Vegas: Bugs/glitches in an (unmodded) game - fortunately PC doesn't really have this issue with all the mod community, but it still hurts that we'll likely never see another.

VtM:B: The Sewers, in all its combat-heavy (which can be all-but-force-a-restart on certain characters if you're unaware), easy-to-get-lost, terribly designed glory - sucks that Troika ran out of time, here, too - fortunately, another one that mods can help with if you so desire.

RE4: The Island is a biiiit of a slog compared to all the zaniness of the town and craziness of the castle. That, and 60FPS mode on PC breaks the hell out of the mashing QTE's.

Witcher 3: I get the complaints about combat, but don't necessarily personally agree - that being said, the weight/inventory management, even with all the tweaks and such, is teeeeeeerrible.

Nier Automata: 9S' hacking mingame, (and most of route B, TBH) - maybe it's just that I never really warmed up to him, but his weakened combat potential and being forced to go through the same minigame over and over was not particularly enjoyable. Also, the overworld doesn't really give a good backdrop/work well with the story that's being told (the story works despite it)

FFIX: The slowness of the battle system is something I cannot believe I slogged through as a kid. Everything else about the game is a treasure, but that battle system (and the frequency of random battles)....woof.

Oh, and the Prima guide majorly, MAJORLY sucked.

FF:Tactics - the way the leveling system scales enemies and such can utterly ruin your playthrough if you don't know ahead of time - and that's not even counting the Wiegraf fight.

More recently (not sure where it falls on the overall fave list), RE:2 remake: 'Second run' being a literal repeat with only minor puzzle variations was pretty disappointing - especially when side A has basically the same story beats, so there's less of an incentive to play through the 'other' way.

Last edited:

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X probably has the worst sound mixing I've encountered in a video game. Also, the text is horrendously small, some combat encounters are poorly designed, it has the least interesting main story out of all the Xenoblade games, and the game has some incredibly iffy fetch quests that can oftentimes be insufferable.

It's still my favorite game ever made by a large margin, but it is by no means perfect.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Street Fighter 4:
Added a new mechanic (FADC) and totally gimped it with the huge damage scaling. Long, difficult combos with cancels use more meter while doing less damage.

Fallout 1:
Time limit. It wasn't that bad but it's the only flaw I can think of right now.

Diablo 2:
Balance was way off IMO. Maybe they patched it or changed it in the expansion, I only played the original.

Witcher 3:
Too much following tracks in Witcher vision.

Dota 2:
Full of alt & boosted accounts that ruin medium level matchmaking but Valve doesn't seem to care.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU - The story takes a while to get going.
Persona 5 - Too many dungeons and Mona won't let you go out some nights
BOTW - Weapon breaking and the dungeons are weak sauce
Ys VIII - You have to do too many side quests to get the true ending

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Morrowind : it's a Bugthesda game.

XCOM 2 : towards the middle of the campaign, your soldiers have become so powerfull that every encounter become trivial and you start to lose interest in continuing said campaign.