• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Is the original Pac-Man CE on this one or no? The only way to play that one on PC is via an otherwise kinda crappy Pac-Man collection.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope there are online leaderboards. That's always such a huge letdown when a collection of arcade games is released without it.

Edit: Oh wow, fuck me. I didn't read the OP at all. These are Famicom games. Leaderboards would still be nice, though.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Do the newer Namco Museum games allow you to walk around an actual museum and look at info about the games, including merchandise and arcade boards?

I remember the Playstation Namco Museums had that and I thought that was super cool.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Is the original Pac-Man CE on this one or no? The only way to play that one on PC is via an otherwise kinda crappy Pac-Man collection.

Nope, this is strictly for Famicom games.

Remember when Namco collections used to be rare and special?

Now it's like 2/3 of their product library.

I'm glad there's that new Pac-man title, though.

It feels like they're a dime a dozen at this point, but they actually haven't released that many collections in the past decade. There was Namco Museum Megamix for Wii in 2010 (which was technically just an enhanced rerelease of 2009's Namco Museum Remix), Pac-Man Museum in 2014, Namco Museum for Switch in 2017, and a few compilation carts for the Evercade that released last month.

Do the newer Namco Museum games allow you to walk around an actual museum and look at info about the games, including merchandise and arcade boards?

I remember the Playstation Namco Museums had that and I thought that was super cool.

Nope, although this one at least tries something slightly cooler than a bog-standard menu screen by having the games on a virtual shelf that you can customize with various memorabilia.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's on Namco Museum Encore (PS1, PSP, PS3) but just for Asia.
store.playstation.com

Namco Museum Encore

The exciting arcade version of Namco's titles! The sixth series to the collection of masterpieces! Including the 7 titles of "KING & BALLOON", "Motos", "SKY KID", "Rolling Thunder", "Wonder Momo", "ROMPERS", and "Dragon Saber"!<br><br><b>This content is compatible with PlayStation®3 and PSP® (Play
Eh I forgot about that NM Encore release that was stuck as a japan only one since.. forever?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like they're a dime a dozen at this point, but they actually haven't released that many collections in the past decade. There was Namco Museum Megamix for Wii in 2010 (which was technically just an enhanced rerelease of 2009's Namco Museum Remix), Pac-Man Museum in 2014, Namco Museum for Switch in 2017, and a few compilation carts for the Evercade that released last month.
There was also Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions on 3DS which was an excellent little mix of new and classic stuff. Also the GBA Namco Museum and Pac-Man Collection on Wii U Virtual Console if those count.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
It's awesome to see the demastered version of Championship Edition see a release. I'm curious what the story behind that seeing the light of day is if it truly is the fangame.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My complaint is that most collections just have the same handful of games (Pac-man, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc).
I'd sell my nonexistent soul for a Ridge Racer compilation.

Thankfully this set consists of their Famicom releases.
Yeah.

Like, I actually legitimately enjoyed the Pac-Man World games. They're WAY better than they have any right to be. But you don't see those getting a re-release. And the most recent new ones, the two Ghostly Adventures ones, go for like $25 still on PS3/Xbox 360.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My original thought was that this would be sorta like the Hamster releases with a bunch of individual arcade games. I'm a little saddened to see it's just 8-bit games though but it still looks fun. The demake of Pac-Man CE has me intrigued even though I don't totally understand how to get good at the game.

I'd just kill for some awesome 90's games or late-80's. Those old Arrangement games were fun, and so was Ridge Racer. Just give us stuff like that. Even with the Hamster stuff, they still don't go beyond the 80's much.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Pretty pumped, since most rereleases of Namco NES games are of horrid quality (looking at you, MyArcade/Evercade). But this one looks super promising and polished, and seems like a great way to experience new versions of games. I absolutely adore the NES port of Dig Dug II, and I proudly preordered the JP physical. I think I'll get a mix of both worlds since I bet some titles will be exclusive to one region (especially Megami Tensei, that's not leaving Japan but I'm playing it anyway)

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Yeah.

Like, I actually legitimately enjoyed the Pac-Man World games. They're WAY better than they have any right to be. But you don't see those getting a re-release. And the most recent new ones, the two Ghostly Adventures ones, go for like $25 still on PS3/Xbox 360.

I'm really not sure why Namco just seems to forget about the Pac Man World games. They're really good, especially 2.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Meh.

At this point Namco should be throwing Tekken, Star Blade, Cybersled, and Ridge Racer on these discs.

This doesn't even compare to the collection that was on the 360.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
How many more times are they going to churn out these same games again and again and again.

This. I'm so kick of it.

I want Namco 90s 3D polygon games.

7m0ZpDI.jpg

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'd just kill for some awesome 90's games or late-80's. Those old Arrangement games were fun, and so was Ridge Racer. Just give us stuff like that. Even with the Hamster stuff, they still don't go beyond the 80's much.

I would go nuts for a collection with the Arrangement games. It's an absolute travesty that Pac-Man Arrangement (the arcade version, not that shitty PSP version) hasn't been rereleased on anything since sixth-gen consoles, it's easily the best game in the series IMO. And yeah, they definitely need to put Ridge Racer on something at this point.

Did you play the Ghostly Adventure titles? I'd rather buy them on disc if I could. (I WISH it was XB1 BC, but alas...)

I played the first one and it was a decent 3D platformer but nothing special. Best part about it was a really jammin' song in the ice world... which turned out to be a recycled song from Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking tired of shit collections from Namco. What's the point of these small ass collections, I'd rather them drop a $60 collection with 30 + games rather than these drip feed games collections

Last edited:

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Another one of the rare moments you can buy NES games on the Switch (I'm assuming a Switch version is happening). Not excited for these though. Maybe after a deeply discounted sale.

Namco really does need to get 3D arcade ports out there and just put all their old 2D arcade games in one bundle.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Wait, Legacy of the Wizard?

Like, Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family?

I had no idea that was a Namco-published thing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, Legacy of the Wizard?

Like, Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family?

I had no idea that was a Namco-published thing.
Just on Famicom, presumably because Falcom didn't have a license (and wouldn't bother getting any until PCE CDROM2 and SFC). Falcom selfpublished the MSX versions simultaneously and likely developed the FC version themselves.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Every Namco Museum thread for the last 15 years is either people complaining that it's the same old games or people complaining that there's not enough classics.

Anyways, I bought NM Switch digitally when it came out then it got a physical release, so I may hold out on this one for a bit.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Namco Museum thread for the last 15 years is either people complaining that it's the same old games or people complaining that there's not enough classics.

Anyways, I bought NM Switch digitally when it came out then it got a physical release, so I may hold out on this one for a bit.

For me, the releases are just inconsistent. The PS2/Xbox/GCN releases, which I believe were two, were halfway decent. Of course, the first one had the Arrangement games and a pretty good selection of other stuff. Then, we got a pretty darn good Xbox 360 version, which I think is the best Museum they've put out. Then, we get the Switch version with just a bunch of random stuff, and only a handful at that. Just be consistent or let us buy games a la carte, like the Hamster games.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
It's available on all platforms now and it costs 19.99 per volume.
I THINK the Japanese Namcot collection is F2P and gives access to one free game, and you have to purchase the rest of the games individually.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's available on all platforms now and it costs 19.99 per volume.
I THINK the Japanese Namcot collection is F2P and gives access to one free game, and you have to purchase the rest of the games individually.

That is correct, and as of press time, the JPN Namcot Collection comes with a slick interface, where each purchased game comes with decorations you can put on a virtual shelf. Plus, this JPN version includes high-res scans of original manuals for each game you unlock.

However, at least for the time being, its game library is locked, because purchases were unlocking the wrong games. So the JPN eShop has shut these purchases down in the meantime. More on that:

But the base download is still up on the Japanese eShop (which you can get by making a phantom JPN eShop account on your Switch), and its freebie is Wagan Land, which isn't on either USA release. So, obviously, get it.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
That is correct, and as of press time, the JPN Namcot Collection comes with a slick interface, where each purchased game comes with decorations you can put on a virtual shelf. Plus, this JPN version includes high-res scans of original manuals for each game you unlock.

However, at least for the time being, its game library is locked, because purchases were unlocking the wrong games. So the JPN eShop has shut these purchases down in the meantime. More on that:

But the base download is still up on the Japanese eShop (which you can get by making a phantom JPN eShop account on your Switch), and its freebie is Wagan Land, which isn't on either USA release. So, obviously, get it.

Yeah, I also downloaded the JP version to check out Wagyan Land. The game is good, but you really need to understand Japanese to play through some sections.

Wingus

Dec 8, 2017
Picked up Volume 1 solely for Mappy.

I love that game so much! The Pac Man Championship Edition demaster is pretty neat too

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit bummed when I learned these collections wouldn't have the virtual shelf frontend of the JP version, but after trying them both it's not really a big deal since the decoration aspect is pretty limited anyway. The only thing that's really missed are the lack of box/manual scans.

The Pac-Man CE demake alone makes Volume 1 worth the purchase, it's insanely good. It feels almost wrong for an NES game to be this intense. They also massively improved the audio over the fan version from ten years ago, instead of recycled Pac-Mania tunes it's got two pulse pounding techno songs for the Normal and Extra modes with a cute Pac & Pal remix on the results screen. The Gaplus demake in Volume 2 feels like more of a novelty in comparison, it's neat but nothing particularly special. I would have preferred to see them try their hand at a Galaga Legions demake instead.

I really love the rewind feature they've included, it can be a little awkward to use sometimes but it's certainly a godsend on the more brutal games like Tower of Druaga and more convenient than repeatedly fiddling with save states like I had to do on Namco Museum Switch. The standout inclusion for me has been Super Xevious, I've never played it before and I'm surprised that it apparently has a mediocre reputation. I like it far more than the original game thanks to having actual stage progression and objectives.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i can't believe so many people sleep on wanpaku graffiti-- it's one of the best action-platformers of the Famicom/NES and it is the first time it has been available digitally-- much less in the west.

i can't believe so many people sleep on wanpaku graffiti-- it's one of the best action-platformers of the Famicom/NES and it is the first time it has been available digitally-- much less in the west.

It's actually one of the games that made me buy Vol. 1 because I never knew it existed before, let alone ever played it. It's honestly a lot of fun!

I'm liking the demake of Championship edition as well!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I also got Volume 2 because of Pac-Land and the two RPG's.
The Rolling Thunder NES port is surprisingly good.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just learned of some cool secrets today. In the Pac-Man CE demake, if you hold left or right before selecting a mode, you can change the look of Pac-Man and the ghosts to either add a white outline or turn them into just a colored outline, and the look of the maze changes as well. In addition, if you get all the achievements you unlock one more special skin that Pac-Maniacs will appreciate.

Since the game doesn't tell you what the achievements are until you get them, I thought I'd list them here. I had a hard time figuring out what the first one was even though it's the easiest to get.

- Emit sparks for 1 second!
- Eat 8 monsters in succession!
- Eat the Key!
- Eat all fruit targets!
- Normal Mode finish!
- Normal Mode no miss finish!
- Achieve 200,000 pts in Normal Mode!
- Achieve 400,000 pts in Normal Mode!
- Extra Mode finish!
- Extra Mode no miss finish!
- Achieve 100,000 pts in Extra Mode!
- Achieve 200,000 pts in Extra Mode!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just learned of some cool secrets today. In the Pac-Man CE demake, if you hold left or right before selecting a mode, you can change the look of Pac-Man and the ghosts to either add a white outline or turn them into just a colored outline, and the look of the maze changes as well. In addition, if you get all the achievements you unlock one more special skin that Pac-Maniacs will appreciate.

Since the game doesn't tell you what the achievements are until you get them, I thought I'd list them here. I had a hard time figuring out what the first one was even though it's the easiest to get.

- Emit sparks for 1 second!
- Eat 8 monsters in succession!
- Eat the Key!
- Eat all fruit targets!
- Normal Mode finish!
- Normal Mode no miss finish!
- Achieve 200,000 pts in Normal Mode!
- Achieve 400,000 pts in Normal Mode!
- Extra Mode finish!
- Extra Mode no miss finish!
- Achieve 100,000 pts in Extra Mode!
- Achieve 200,000 pts in Extra Mode!
Thank you for this. I'm missing a couple achievements and wasn't sure what they were. I also didn't know about the secret graphic options.

I'm really struggling to no miss extra mode.

Edit: I got it. You can cheese it in a few different ways.

Last edited:

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the key to Pac-Man CE? Should I be trying to create huge chains of ghosts to eat, like in CE-DX? I've never been able to figure out how to get good, despite being quite good at CE-DX and pretty proficient at the sequel.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What's the key to Pac-Man CE? Should I be trying to create huge chains of ghosts to eat, like in CE-DX? I've never been able to figure out how to get good, despite being quite good at CE-DX and pretty proficient at the sequel.

I've been steadily increasing my score and it seems to me like the trick is to make continuously clearing the maze of dots your main priority while also going after ghosts when it's convenient. The thing with ghosts is that they're worth progressively more points (up to 3200) if you keep eating them without letting the power pellet timer run out, so you want to also try to keep that chain going for as long as possible. However, you need to eat enough dots/fruit to reach the final high-value fruit targets, so you don't want to waste too much time chasing distant ghosts and power pellets if it'll be detrimental to your score in the long run.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Just wanted to do a small bump for anybody that was wondering. The app and DLC has returned to the JP store this week. I was able to buy splatterhouse yesterday. I've been keeping tabs on this for when the titles would return because I really like the setup in the JP release. I just hope they follow up with a Vol 2 collection soon that includes the Pac Man CE & Gaplus demakes.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have the physical version of this? Is Pac Man CE on the cart or will I have to download it? My copy shipped from Play-Asia on the 3rd and I haven't seen any updates on it yet. I was hoping to finally have a physical version of the game but maybe not.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone have the physical version of this? Is Pac Man CE on the cart or will I have to download it? My copy shipped from Play-Asia on the 3rd and I haven't seen any updates on it yet. I was hoping to finally have a physical version of the game but maybe not.

yes, namcot collection includes pacman ce on it

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally received my physical copy of this and Pac-Man CE is lit as hell. To me, it feels better than the original and I like when you go into the tunnels, it just follows you in the transition. No 10 minute mode is disappointing but it feels like a great game and the QOL/extras are fantastic. I question why the Gaplus remake isn't anywhere near as good and modern as this one. I hope they do more stuff like this in the future.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So this is basically kind of like a NES version of the arcade collection they released a couple of years back?

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is basically kind of like a NES version of the arcade collection they released a couple of years back?

Pretty much. It has a lot of the same games as the one from a couple years ago with some new additions. The Japanese version allows you to buy them individually but not anywhere else. They also de-made Pac Man CE and Gaplus for the set, and I think more stuff is coming later in the year.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. It has a lot of the same games as the one from a couple years ago with some new additions. The Japanese version allows you to buy them individually but not anywhere else. They also de-made Pac Man CE and Gaplus for the set, and I think more stuff is coming later in the year.

Sweet thanks, I'll pick up the packaged v1 collection. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying most of the exact same games again lol