• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're a human and have emotions/biases for their friends/troubles/make mistakes and aren't going to be do the 100% perfect thing all the time.

Truly terrible affliction to have happen to them, that.
This is just one of several instances that SonicFox has been defending these shitty people. The first time is innocent, the 2nd time is a pattern. It's not a good look.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
This one is so messy, maybe I'm in the wrong here but I've been in a relationship where my partner wants to have sex more often than me and would come onto me physically, I said no and she stopped, and I wouldn't consider that assault. I can understand someone viewing that differently but with it being an established relationship, it's just messy to me, it also hits close to home, and I would never consider my ex an abuser, I dunno how I feel about this. Obviously I felt uncomfortable, and it's clear this person did too, it just seems to wrong to treat this so harshly.
Your ex stopped. But in this case, she was yelled at, threatened, etc. It even came to the point where she'd give it to avoid the abuse, pretend to sleep (and still be assaulted).

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
This is just one of several instances that SonicFox has been defending these shitty people. The first time is innocent, the 2nd time is a pattern. It's not a good look.

Not many people have suddenly have had several of their friends outed as sex pests, pedophiles, and abusers within the span of a week while dealing with their own constant harassment campaigns and people literally cheering for them to be outed a sex pest themselves so they can get "cancelled". Seriously, cut SonicFox a break.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Your ex stopped. But in this case, she was yelled at, threatened, etc. It even came to the point where she'd give it to avoid the abuse, pretend to sleep (and still be assaulted).
DId you read Nakkiel's response? Obviously it's another question if you choose to believe it but I would recommend reading it if you haven't. I do believe both perspectives because it reads very much like the relationship I'm talking about.

Often how someone talks especially when there is already history can be misconstrued. I don't know if you've had communication issues in the past with anyone, but if you have consider situations where you or they misunderstood the other person's words or tone.

EDIT: To add rereading this I can see how it could read as condescending, this is not my intention.

Also to add further context to my point about how tone or words can be misunderstood, in these instances when I asked my ex to stop I would be met with angry responses regarding whether or not I loved her or found her attractive, I've reached a point where I understand where her anger came from. I find it incredibly likely, that Nakkiel's ex has not gotten to that point yet, it's equally likely that he truly was that aggressive, but nobody but them knows which is the case.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
While SonicFox's response is bad, it makes perfect sense why they would want to immediately defend their friends after how many ties they've had to break this week. I didn't even know any of these people directly, and just finding about how some people I've pooled with are sexual abusers has had me shaken. I can't even imagine what SonicFox is going through.

They're nowhere near the same caliber as the actual sexual assault victims, but make no mistake - they're a victim right now too.

Edit: Sorry, pronouns! I apologize - that's my bad.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The weird thing here is....no one tagged SonicFox into this conversation? They kind of just superhero landed into this with a judgment of "It sounds like they're both wrong but why didn't she communicate????" for no apparent reason.

It's one thing to have to explain your friends' behavior, it's another to come bursting into a room to do it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
While SonicFox's response is bad, it makes perfect sense why he would want to immediately defend his friends after how many ties he's had to break this week. I didn't even know any of these people directly, and just finding about how some people I've pooled with are sexual abusers has had me shaken. I can't even imagine what SonicFox is going through.

He's nowhere near the same caliber as the actual sexual assault victims, but make no mistake - he's a victim right now too.

They/them

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can be empathetic to the harassment SonicFox deals with simultaneously acknowledging that some of their responses to the issues in the FGC that have been blown wide open aren't great.

Dlent

Nov 2, 2017
For some context, SonicFox and Nakkiel live in the same house. The two of them are definitely close.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Edited my post, sorry - that's my bad and I sincerely didn't mean to misgender them.

Apologies if the timing of my post came across as dogpiling on your post btw, was doing a general quote-post off the back of posts I'd seen on page one and hadn't got as far as this page yet.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if the timing of my post came across as dogpiling on your post btw, was doing a general quote-post off the back of posts I'd seen on page one and hadn't got as far as this page yet.
It's worth bringing up so people can better get used to it when they likely aren't in a position where it's something they are more conscious of, myself included.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's worth bringing up so people can better get used to it when they likely aren't in a position where it's something they are more conscious of, myself included.

Oh absolutely - that was what I was trying to do.

I was just wanting to note that I wasn't trying to lambaste Theswweet specifically when my post happened to come directly after another person calling them out on the pronouns.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Again - the original post was my bad. No excuses and I'm not gonna blame anyone for calling me on it. It wasn't done out of malice, but that doesn't excuse things. Even if I was being dogpiled - good. It's better to drive the point home.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I feel like a lot of this topic is circling around Sonicfox and not the original allegation and response. It makes sense. Sonicfox has transcended beyond traditional fighting game circles.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm sympathetic to seeing your friends drop like flies around you due to being exposed as predatory creeps, and grasping for whatever nuance to atleast try and have a conversation with your roommate (apparently?). But one doesn't need to jump onto Twitter immediately when an allegation is made not even about you. Sonicfox could have just... like... read the room and not rushed out a bad tweet like this.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing to be perfect, it's another thing to have common sense.

It's not difficult to have empathy and understand that SonicFox is having a rough time here. They've already cut ties with several people this week, this week has shattered a lot of people in the community they take part in and even some of the events they were going to take part in, they're already constantly the target of harassment campaigns for being a furry/being a liberal/being NB/being anti-Republican/being anti-fascist/being anti-White Supremacist, and generally if you have a pretty close friend who you live with get accused - someone you're super biased towards - your first instinct will probably be to defend them.

This is the whole gist of my post: having strong feelings and biases for people you like can (and often will) temporarily override common sense.

Should SonicFox have not said anything and should they have just listened and waited for more details? Yeah, sure. Same for basically everyone else in all of these cases.

Does that mean they deserve for people to go "oh my god what happened to SonicFox? :(" as if they were perfect or have changed? (or worse, misgender them a bunch) No.

People are people and make mistakes and will lose sight of common sense or fuck up.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The weird thing here is....no one tagged SonicFox into this conversation? They kind of just superhero landed into this with a judgment of "It sounds like they're both wrong but why didn't she communicate????" for no apparent reason.

It's one thing to have to explain your friends' behavior, it's another to come bursting into a room to do it.

I guess it's because SFox and Nak are roommates.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not difficult to have empathy and understand that SonicFox is having a rough time here. They've already cut ties with several people this week, this week has shattered a lot of people in the community they take part in and even some of the events they were going to take part in, they're already constantly the target of harassment campaigns for being a furry/being a liberal/being NB/being anti-Republican/being anti-fascist/being anti-White Supremacist, and generally if you have a pretty close friend who you live with get accused - someone you're super biased towards - your first instinct will probably be to defend them.

This is the whole gist of my post: having strong feelings and biases for people you like can (and often will) temporarily override common sense.

Should SonicFox have not said anything and should they have just listened and waited for more details? Yeah, sure. Same for basically everyone else in all of these cases.

Does that mean they deserve for people to go "oh my god what happened to SonicFox? :(" as if they were perfect or have changed? (or worse, misgender them a bunch) No.

People are people and make mistakes and will lose sight of common sense or fuck up.
Man, I'm not saying they have to be perfect. I'm not perfect. As I said, I empathize with the abuse and vitriol they have to deal with, I wouldn't want to be in that position. But both sidings serious allegations like this is 1) incredibly stupid and 2) SonicFox didn't need to say anything or at the least they could have read the room and waited before immediately jumping up for defense. If it doesn't involve them directly, all the more reason to take proper time to wait. It's not hard to just not insert yourself into things.

As for misgendering that is a shame and it was an honest mistake on my part that I fixed ASAP, and I believe on the parts of most people who have in this thread have edited their posts as well, as it clearly wasn't done to be malicious.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Super fucked up situation and response from the other person. What possesses someone to say "well they just had communication issues" on something like this?

Just shut up if you're gonna put out a dumb statement like that.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Also anyone else find it strange how Nakkiel had the twitlonger ready to go? It was posted 5 minutes after the allegations. I'm guessing he already heard they were coming from someone maybe.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Short story:

I had a close friend, who I hung out with multiple days out of almost every week, get accused of sexual assault by his nephew. My brother came over one day and said he'd been arrested.

The shit is hard to deal with mentally at first. I know the guy, we've done so much together, rapping, talking to women, joyriding, fighting, making music in the studio, clubbing every weekend. Slept in the same room. Heavy drug and alcohol use.

How do you process that they were a lie? A monster? The story was the kid was lying because he was mad he disciplined him. I wanted to latch onto that, because this is my friend.

The thing is, you have to accept it, believe the victim, regardless of what they say.

But damn if it doesn't take at least a minute. But after a couple weeks the numbness wore off and I was like FUCK, why would this little child make up such a disgusting thing? He's telling the truth and this guy is now dead to me. I never communicated with him after I heard the news. Never will, on purpose. I hope we never accidentally run into each other, man I hope.

This ex-friend took a plea deal and received a 10 year sentence.

So I get what SonicFox has to process. You can't put it on a person to immediately flip a switch on a friend. That isn't fair. We aren't robots.

What you DON'T do is share your internal conflict with the world, especially by "both siding" the victim.

But hey, we didn't have Twitter back then either.

Feb 15, 2019
Some of the responses on here are definitely weird.

If a poster said what Fox did on here that person would likely get banned.
I get that it's really rough for them but that doesn't excuse saying stupid shit.

But people in here are definitely handwaving some shit just because they like Fox.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leniency for SonicFox's tweet is crazy. This isn't some random, trivial tweet with no importance and no impact.

In fact, that tweet has so much visibility that everyone in this thread is talking about it instead focusing on the actual allegations and actual victim.

SonicFox honestly needs to shut up when it comes to all these recent stories.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My genuine feelings on SonicFox right now:

63FB24F252EBBCE3ADC7158716321B216CC6DF1A

I understand these are their friends, but... fuck. I really hope they come around. :(

Last edited:

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK

I get that it's really rough for them but that doesn't excuse saying stupid shit.

But people in here are definitely handwaving some shit just because they like Fox.
Yep, I get that vibe a little too. People that aren't liked would get raked over the coals for something like this. People have gotten banned on here for less of a 'both sides' reply than the one Fox gave.
If they've had other friends recently that they've had to cut off due to allegations like this, it makes their sudden rush to defend this particular friend so publicly a bit more baffling for me. Wouldn't they be a bit gunshy after what's already happened and refrain from commenting rather than going all in to handwave these allegations? I get that maybe people are targeting them because of the association, maybe even trying to get a gotcha moment out of it or stirring some shit to discredit them, but that's even more reason to be more considered in your approach, imo.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah a bunch of people seem like they're putting on kid gloves for them. Like if it was someone you didn't like y'all would be going all in lol

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sonic seriously needs to learn to not jump on Twitter as soon as news comes out.
The response they gave is awful too and I like Fox, just because a couple shares a house and a bed doesn't mean one side of the relationship can do whatever they want sexually. I get they are going through a lot with the FGC basically collapsing around them but a 'wait and See' approach is always a safe bet.

Feb 15, 2019
Yep, I get that vibe a little too. People that aren't liked would get raked over the coals for something like this. People have gotten banned on here for less of a 'both sides' reply than the one Fox gave.
If they've had other friends recently that they've had to cut off due to allegations like this, it makes their sudden rush to defend this particular friend so publicly a bit more baffling for me. Wouldn't they be a bit gunshy after what's already happened and refrain from commenting rather than going all in to handwave these allegations? I get that maybe people are targeting them because of the association, maybe even trying to get a gotcha moment out of it or stirring some shit to discredit them, but that's even more reason to be more considered in your approach, imo.

Yeah a bunch of people seem like they're putting on kid gloves for them. Like if it was someone you didn't like y'all would be going all in lol

It's not even that one post either.

They are literally debating with some other person now that Nakkiel assaulting his ex-gf in her sleep is some sort of lack of communication.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Yo correct gender labels are important but it feels like everyone is rushing to bring it up regarding SonicFox as though people miss labeling them (probably by accident) somehow negates the fact that SF's stance here is shitty.

Again, not to disregard how important it is that pronouns be respected.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
Yo correct gender labels are important but it feels like everyone is rushing to bring it up regarding SonicFox as though people miss labeling them (probably by accident) somehow negates the fact that SF's stance here is shitty.

Again, not to disregard how important it is that pronouns be respected.

There's room for both

Oct 25, 2017
I get these people are their friends, but what Sonic is saying here is straight up shitty and honestly bad. Sonic could have handled this is various other ways. Stayed quiet, talked to Nakk about it. Not jump to handwaving

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the idea of being shell-shocked by all these people they knew turning out to be predators but this goes beyond knee-jerk reaction. They're actively trying to shape the conversation about it and making it out to be murkier than it is. They've shut up for now and I hope they stay that way until they're ready to retract some of those awful tweets. Or just go down as being associated with this dude.

Be better, SF.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's not even that one post either.

They are literally debating with some other person now that Nakkiel assaulting his ex-gf in her sleep is some sort of lack of communication.

That's what I mean. We're all biased and hypocritical but I wish some of y'all wouldn't be so transparent about it. Either keep that same energy for every person or don't criticize others when they handwave whatever shitty thing their favorite people said

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's a pretty upsetting story in the op and he's a creep for treating her that way. I'm really glad he was called out.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said it in the last thread, but part of what may be affecting SonicFox's judgment (and what people seem to be skipping) is that Nakkiel's ex gf personally doesn't want to label him as a rapist.

As in, she explicitly says this in her messages.