• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.cnn.com

NAACP branches call for state lawmaker to resign for wearing apparent Confederate flag face mask

Multiple Michigan branches of the NAACP are calling for the immediate resignation of Michigan state Sen. Dale Zorn after he wore a face mask with what appeared to be a Confederate flag pattern on the Michigan Senate floor in late April.

200425165549-dale-zorn-face-mask-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)Multiple Michigan branches of the NAACP are calling for the immediate resignation of Michigan state Sen. Dale Zorn after he wore a face mask with what appeared to be a Confederate flag pattern on the Michigan Senate floor in late April.

The senator, a Republican, had apologized in a pair of Twitter posts the following day. He told CNN affiliate WLNS that his wife made the face mask for him, and it was not a Confederate flag.

In a statement to CNN, Zorn said: "I'm sorry for my choice of pattern on the face mask I wore on the Senate floor. I did not intend to offend anyone; however, I realize that I did, and for that I am sorry. Those who know me best know that I do not support the things this pattern represents. My actions were an error in judgment for which there are no excuses and I will learn from this episode."
Zorn told WLNS that even if it were a Confederate flag, it represents a part of our history and we should be teaching about the "atrocities that happened during that time" so it doesn't happen again.

What a fucking bullshit excuse. And we all know that Michigan fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War. /s

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're not the ones trying to erase the history of atrocities, you dense motherfuckers!

God I hate that excuse for keeping that stupid flag around.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't know it was a Confederate flag. Btw let me extol you the virtues of having one while we're here!

Racist prick.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Glad the NAACP isn't letting this go away.

So damn racist.

And like 2% of the state's population died fighting the Confederacy.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The "heritage not hate" bullshit survives today because white America got really comfortable after the end of the Civil War thinking that simply ending slavery meant the complete end of the disenfranchisement of black people when it wasn't. For how much talks about the taboo that is treason, it basically did nothing to the Confederate movement in the wake of emancipation. The flags should have been burnt, heads of the Confederacy should have been tried, prosecuted and jailed, groups looking to lionize Confederate soldiers or leaders through books and statutes should have been immediately and harshly pushed back against, intergration in schools and communities should have been immediately prioritized, swift and ruthless legal action should have been taken against individuals or groups committing acts of terror or hate crimes against black and brown people, the KKK should have been dismantled and crushed as an organization (It's telling that groups like the FBI chose to instead spend their efforts on civil rights groups) and Confederate, anti-abolition politicians with gross ideals should have been instantly disqualified from being viable governmental candidates.

It should be just as taboo to walk around with the Nazi flag but the Confederate flag is in a liminal space where pretty much everyone knows what the Confederacy stood for inherently, but too many people in positions of privilege spun and/or ate up the "heritage" lie as a reasonable justification for tolerating it while black people have repeated fervently for generations how gross and hurtful get ignored or gaslit with the "we must tolerate the intolerant/we shouldn't 'erase history'" rhetoric that so many political cowards cling to to this day. It's funny how back in the youth of the country and even now, the majority of the people actually interested in enacting and maintaining the ideals America has always claimed to stand for have been black people and other disenfranchised groups.

i just got done seeing this when i saw this thread..

LOL this will never get old. I don't think I've ever found out where this was from. A Vice Doc or something?

Last edited: