• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
www.nintendo.com

Assassin's Creed® III: Remastered for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Assassin's Creed® III: Remastered and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.
www.nintendo.com

Assassin’s Creed®: The Rebel Collection for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Assassin’s Creed®: The Rebel Collection and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Very nice deals, right now being their lowest on Switch so far, as III peaked at 50% off, and Rebel at only 25% off prior.

VERY tempted to get III, even if Rebel is the better collection, but it's $10 CDN more. Hmm...

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Game wise it's highly regarded, but the Switch version had odd stuttering from footage I've seen (assuming it's not been patched yet). IV looks to be top notch on both counts it seems.

Edit: I think it's more audio stuttering or skips in parts. You hear it in this vid after Shay introduces himself:

Last edited:

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently replaying it and honestly it might be the best game in the series pre-Origins. It's basically Black Flag, but better in every way.
If I remember correctly, after Black Flag they focused on co-op? I think BF was the last one I played during PS4 launch and I loved it. I figured I'd end my AC tenure on a high note. Maybe now is a good time to jump back in?

Jan 29, 2018
The Rebel Collection is tempting even though I've already played both. I loved those games at the time but I suspect a lot of the gameplay systems have not aged well.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
If I remember correctly, after Black Flag they focused on co-op? I think BF was the last one I played during PS4 launch and I loved it. I figured I'd end my AC tenure on a high note. Maybe now is a good time to jump back in?
You're probably thinking of the co-op mode from Unity. They did push it, but it ended up being a side thing no one cared about.

If you liked BF then definitely play Rogue at least. You know all those horrible tailing missions from BF? Gone in Rogue. Better ship combat, tons of quality of life improvements, and better weapons. Also you get a story about the Templars for once.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Finally picked this up after wavering on it on the last few sales. Pretty hefty download... looks like the physical version is $20 already and I'm sorta wishing I had gone for that. Or, I wish that Rogue was DLC in order to bring the download size down a bit. Ah well!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Rebel Collection went down to $23.99 at least once before. I know because I almost pulled the trigger at the time.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up the Rebel Collection for $20 at Walmart... excited to dive in later!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Bought the AC3 bundle for €15, will try it out in the next few days. AC rebel collection is still €30 on the EU eShop, so I'm waiting for it (have a number of different games to play first, so no need to bite at €30 right now).

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Many of the AC3 glitches and game-breaking issues were addressed in a patch but the port still has some major problems. It also doesn't help that AC3 is easily one of the worst AC games (not as bad as Unity of course).

Buy The Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection.

The story isn't super compelling but the protagonist is fun and likable, the islands are bright, colorful and enjoyable to explore and the ocean travel feels incredible. The sound design and pirate ship physics put me in an almost zen-like state.

yTcLirX.gif

Ship battles against other armies and pirates followed by raiding and looting them for resources is incredibly satisfying and very addictive.

I played it during my XBox One lull. I bought the damn console to support Remedy and Quantum Break because that's how much I love that studio, wanted them to succeed and wanted Alan Wake 2. Meanwhile the XBox One library was pathetically small, the Wii U was dead and I was too broke to get a PS4 and enjoy all the tantalizing exclusives. Games with the Gold to the rescue and I got an insane deal on AC4.

I didn't complete the game but it got me through a depressing summer when I didn't have the will to be creative or reach out to friends and there weren't many games left to play.

It's an awesome experience.

AGicVx.gif

Last edited:

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Many of the AC3 glitches and game-breaking issues were addressed in a patch but the port still has some major problems. It also doesn't help that AC3 is easily one of the worst AC games (not as bad as Unity of course).

Buy The Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection.

The story isn't super compelling but the protagonist is fun and likable, the islands are bright, colorful and enjoyable to explore and the ocean travel feels incredible. The sound design and pirate ship physics put me in an almost zen-like state.

yTcLirX.gif

Ship battles against other armies and pirates followed by raiding and looting them for resources is incredibly satisfying and very addictive.

I played it during my XBox One lull. I bought the damn console to support Remedy and Quantum Break because that's how much I love that studio, wanted them to succeed and wanted Alan Wake 2. Meanwhile the XBox One library was pathetically small, the Wii U was dead and I was too broke to get a PS4 and enjoy all the tantalizing exclusives. Games with the Gold to the rescue and I got an insane deal on AC4.

I didn't complete the game but it got me through a depressing summer when I didn't have the will to be creative or reach out to friends and there weren't many games left to play.

It's an awesome experience.

AGicVx.gif
Nice write-up that makes me feel even better about my purchase. Thanks!

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with Rebel Collection able to say which version number it's at (to see if it ever got a patch), and to see if Rogue does have that music skip issue as I showed in the vid aboveÉ

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda BS that Rogue does not come in the caer itself. I usually play the Game and ship it to my brother when finished

Oct 27, 2017
Have had no audio issues with Rogue. Both games look and play great on Switch. Game mechanics wise, they are the best of the old-style AC gameplay, and Rogue even rings in a couple of things from the old AC multiplayer. Rogue introduced the Red-Dead-like dynamic events and missions that many games seemed to start getting after RDR was released. Both games also have a fleet minigame that gets you resources, money, and collectible prizes. Black Flag's map is almost as big as Odyssey's, lots of sea but not as much explorable landmass and locations as Odyssey. Freedom Cry is an emotional experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently replaying it and honestly it might be the best game in the series pre-Origins. It's basically Black Flag, but better in every way.

Shit, I always thought Rogue was the lame last-gen knock-off of Black Flag, which I loved. I haven't played a proper (read: not Origins/Odyssey) AC for some time, so I'll consider it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that keeps me from the rebel collection is they stripped the multiplayer stuff out... I was one of the oddballs that actually enjoyed the multiplayer in the older AC games. One of the most unique MP experiences in the last decade+.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Black Flag and Rogue are two of the best pre-Origins AC games, they're absolutely worth playing

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Just wanted to say that Black Flag port is amazing and solid. Native resolutions in both handheld and docked. Solid 30fps although there can be dips here and there occasionally. Played 70 hours and I 100% it and experienced 3 crashes. Similar to Freedom Cry, solid port and experienced 1 crash only.

Rouge on the other hand, I played about 10 hours and stopped due to the forts having framrate issues such as quick drops. Furthermore, in handheld mode, the resolution is dynamic, native on ships and dynamic in the open world areas. Most importantly, there is a visual shimmering bug which annoys me, it's like jaggies on top of jaggies which are seen on the ocean, grass and trees.

I'm still hoping for them to fix these problems as it is a disappointment especially compared to the amazing Black Flag port.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
So I'm curious. I don't like Assassin's Creed 1-3. Including the 2 sequels to 2. But the look of Black Flag always interested me. Is there anything I can get out of this that I didn't get out of the other AC games?

May 15, 2019
Do any of these have the competitive multiplayer the original releases had? I was not a fan of 3 or 4's single player but absolutely loved multiplayer.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
So I'm curious. I don't like Assassin's Creed 1-3. Including the 2 sequels to 2. But the look of Black Flag always interested me. Is there anything I can get out of this that I didn't get out of the other AC games?
If you don't like the series these won't change your mind. Even with all the boat stuff it's still just AC.
Do any of these have the competitive multiplayer the original releases had? I was not a fan of 3 or 4's single player but absolutely loved multiplayer.
No :(

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Rebel collection is a fantastic set of games and ports. And very well suited to a portable experience.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
On got both collections and played through AC3 and Rouge.

AC3 I didn't like when I first came out, but I wanted to give it another shot away from all the hype and stuff.
Still didn't like it, haha.
The cities suck to parqour in (no cool landmarks to climb, streets are way too wide to jump across most of the time), and the new wilderness areas suck are huge and not that fun either (they're just filled with useless collectibles), Connor was wasted potential as a character, and the conclusion to the Desmond storyline still sucks.
Performance-wise I thought it was fine. Definitely.some pop in and occasional framerate drops, but it's still fine.

Rouge was my firet time playing it and it was really good. A massive improvement over 3 in every way.
Story is a little bare-bones, but it's not bad.
Performance was much more solid than 3 and has WAY more population density than 3.

Its crazy to see New York in Rouge compared to it in AC3. So many more characters on screen, much more colorful, and much more enjoyable to explore.

May 15, 2019
If you don't like the series these won't change your mind. Even with all the boat stuff it's still just AC.

No :(
That blows, I would have absolutely picked up one of them just to mess around with it again.

Yeah apparently they basically cancelled multiplayer for the franchise I recall someone saying? This includes taking out any from ports. Wonder why? Maybe it was just not popular or well received? Might be to avoid having to keep servers up for as many games or something. Fuck it if I know. :P
Last time I went back to AC4's multi on PC I got into a match pretty much instantly, so I assume it's just them changing directions with the franchise. Worth noting that the last game they had multiplayer in was the last one that was cross-gen, so it could be they didn't want to redo a whole bunch of stuff at current fidelity. Each one of those multiplayer modes reused a ton of maps and animations from the previous one.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Wow, this Black Flag port is incredible! So THIS is the power of The Switch.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I notice Dynasty Warriors 8 is discounted; is that one of the better ones? Was that the one where every character with the same weapon has the same moves?

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
I wouldn't mind Rogue on my Switch but I've already played 4, wish it was available separately.