• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So I need to go back to the gym and start lifting weights again. My mental state is like blockbuster stock where I'm riding a year or two ago but now I'm as low as been in a while. Nothing made me feel better mentally then working out.

Anyway I'm still extremely scared of covid and don't want to get it and spread it... So how could are N95 mask and if I wear one while working out I should be safe right? How often do I have to change them as well? Say I work out 2 hours a day for 5 days would I just have to change it out once a week?

No one where's mask in Utah and I went twice in October and felt extremely unsafe. That's why I want to get the beast of mask and rock the N95. Is this a terrible idea or as long as I'm cautious about what I'm touching and wiping everything down should I be good?

I don't want to be the person being irresponsible but fuck guys I need to work out haha. I've also tried working out at home but I'm trying to gain weight and I don't have enough room for equipment.

Edit: Also a little tidbit but I work at a mall dillards. I'm in contact with many people everyday. So I'm allready required to expose myself at the mall so how much different is a gym to that?

Last edited:

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
dont do it man, the mask only helps to keep your germs from spreading, it doesn't protect you from other people's germs.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
if you don't want covid then don't go to the the gym!

just do home exercises, push ups, sit ups etc

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dont do it man, the mask only helps to keep your germs from spreading, it doesn't protect you from other people's germs.
i believe n95s do both. but your right it's still safer not to go unless it's outdoors (a gym near me is utilizing a plaza for open air workouts)

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It would obviously be safest to not go the the gym. But you have to remember that N95s are supposed to be one time use. I doubt you have a steady supply of them, and if you sanitize the mask every day it will degrade the quality of the mask.

Also make sure you're using the N95 correctly, there are different sizes so make sure yours fits properly. There should be absolutely no air flow around the edges.

Last edited:

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
are n95s easy to get now? I thought they were being routed to health care workers? I wouldn't risk it if others aren't wearing masks at your gym.

n95s protects you since it filters out 95% of air particles as the name implies.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The N95 will offer far better protection than a regular mask. In fact, it protects you whereas regular masks only help those around you. So, if you gotta go, yes, N95 will keep you safer than a regular mask but others wearing masks would keep you safer and that doesn't seem to be the case.

There are other precautions you can take, like going at the least busy times, keeping distance, cleaning stuff, sanitize your hands constantly and, particularly, avoid the locker room and shower at home instead.

But all of that is if you do go. The best answer is, try to work out outdoors, at home or maybe see if someone in your bubble has space for you to exercise if outside/home are not doable for some reason. If you do go, avoid contact with vulnerable people in your life and people in general for 10 days after your last visit assuming you show no symptoms.

This is a tricky one because working out does greatly reduce your chances of developing a bad case of Covid, but preventing infection by avoiding the gym does a far better job, obviously.

So, I'd say, if you really, really can't work out in any other way and feel like you really need to, take every possible precaution and yes, N95 will be better than regular mask. I'd also wear one of those face shield over the mask. But, ideally, try to avoid the gym as much as possible, the situation in your area sounds awful, I can't believe there are places in the United States where lack of mask is the norm, living in that kind of environment would harm my mental health even more than lack of exercise.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, it fucking sucks and there's no perfect answer unless you're rich and can build a gym at home.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true of N95, it is protective from aerosols. But it definitely cuts the total ventilation you'd receive compared to a medical or cloth mask, meaning it would make exercise harder.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
are n95s easy to get now? I thought they were being routed to health care workers? I wouldn't risk it if others aren't wearing masks at your gym.

n95s protects you since it filters out 95% of air particles as the name implies.
At least in my area, you can find them everywhere now. The scarcity was only at the beginning.

Oct 29, 2017
I went throughout the year to the gym here in California. I wore an mask at all times. Cleaned everything I used before and after use with alcohol. Washed my hands throughout. If you are extremely careful, and don't let your guard down you'll be ok. Also, work out alone.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to stop you from going, as it's totally your choice. And, 0 judgment if you do go.

Just take into account that gyms are pools of bacteria on a good day. Free weights in particular have bacteria comparable to a toilet.

Everyone has different levels of risk they're willing to tolerate. Which is, I think, a necessity during the pandemic. If you think you can make it fit within your tolerance, do what you will.

EDIT: And obviously if you can guarantee you're of little to no risk to others.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
The other thing to keep in mind with N95 masks is that they need to be fitted to offer full protection. You can't just buy one and assume it is the correct size or type for your face. Also keep in mind that if you have facial hair it will prevent a proper fit as well.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Also a little tidbit but I work at a mall dillards. I'm in contact with many people everyday. So I'm allready required to expose myself at the mall so how much different is a gym to that?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You know it is a hell of a choice we must make about these things. Seems the thread has it worked out pretty well the safest possible way to gym.

The other day I was pondering going to get a haircut and thinking of the risks, especially how close proximity a haircut is, and ultimately decided to buy a electric trimmer kit and buzz my own hair. Feel like a dick not supporting my barber, but feel super safe and satisfied with the results.

Covid... fucking a.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
You know it is a hell of a choice we must make about these things. Seems the thread has it worked out pretty well the safest possible way to gym.

The other day I was pondering going to get a haircut and thinking of the risks, especially how close proximity a haircut is, and ultimately decided to buy a electric trimmer kit and buzz my own hair. Feel like a dick not supporting my barber, but feel super safe and satisfied with the results.

Covid... fucking a.

I've got 8 haircuts since the pandemic started, all with masks on.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Mask isn't going to protect you from touching something and then touching your face. I imagine that would be a bigger deal at a gym than spreading by breathing something in.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I know how you feel. I miss my normal gym routine like nothing else.

It was the only point in my day where I got true "me" time and no one could bother me. Ironically covid has taken away the only place I had to feel isolated.

That being said. I'm just not going to risk it. I'm doing everything I can at home because I feel like the day I go back, I'm going to catch it. Especially with these new more contagious mutations.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I have to go to a gym for physical therapy, and sometimes there are a person wearing bandanas (they do nothing...) or chin masks. If I can't be 15 feet away from them, I go exercise outside. I always wear n95 masks.

So yeah, I'd recommend working out outside as much as possible, or practicing extreme social distancing...

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give my input, but I'm not recommending that you go to the gym.

There's very little data on the reusability of masks, so that's really impossible to tell.

I will say that as someone that essentially spent eight hours a day in a surgical mask for the last four years, N95s that fit well are not very comfortable.

For someone not used to breathing in a mask, it might be a little much, but also if it fits well it's going to be putting a lot of pressure where it seals, your nose especially. And if it doesn't fit well then you might as well be using a normal surgical mask. Presumably you're not gonna be in there for 8 hours, so that might be less of an issue.

All that said, I find that actual N95s with two bands that go around your head are much better than kn95s that loop around your ears.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wear a mask, wipe down gym equipment, wash/sanitize your hands.

I'd been going to the gym consistently, 5 days a week since September, up to 2 hours a day and their has been no Covid outbreak whatsoever where I go or have I heard any other gyms with such issues. (New Jersey - USA)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If it's an N95 with a valve then it's actually the exact opposite of that.
It protects you very well, but spreads virus further than wearing no mask at all if you're already sick.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the worst place to go to contact fluids from other people. Invest in a home gym if possible or weights. But really seems like you already made up your mind and are just looking for justification. Just wear a mask if you really wanna go and risk it.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of places ban the masks with a valve or vent, but the people enforcing the rules might not know. As was said up thread the valve/vent allows you to spread the virus to other people by just exhaling. And I know some of those masks with a valve are advertised as N95 masks

However if you have a acess to a genuine supply of N95 masks that hospitals use, that would probably give the most protection. I was under the impression genuine N95 masks that hospitals use were still hard to get by normal consumers, because hospitals still need them.

But people are also constantly touching stuff in a gym and that's another way to transfer the virus. So you'd still have to pay attention to what you're touching and also make sure NOT touch your face.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
Also a little tidbit but I work at a mall dillards. I'm in contact with many people everyday. So I'm allready required to expose myself at the mall so how much different is a gym to that?
you might become then the one who spreads it at the gym.

Maybe look into freeletics (fitness app). you can do all the exercises at home and it will kick your butt.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
OP also if you have a beard an N95 will be less effective, since it won't form a complete suction on your face. It sucks but it's just not worth it.

Nov 7, 2017
As a nurse that wears an N95 for 12 hrs I can tell you that it's uncomfortable as fuck and the bridge of my nose starts to get raw

I can't even imagine working out and exerting yourself in that

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If you really need to go to the gym the biggest precaution you can take is thoroughly wiping down whatever you use before starting your routine.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Why not just buy a pair of handweights. No risk of catching Covid and you save a lot of money.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I've been going since they re-opened. Not going would be a disaster for my mental health (and physical). I wear a mask, sanitize my hands before coming in and when I get back into my car. I workout alone (my wife and I go separately now) and wipe stuff down. There's been no outbreak at my gym so it's been alright.

I won't recommend to anyone to go if they can avoid it but I haven't acclimated to being isolated so well so the gym is the best thing I have.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be the person being irresponsible but fuck guys I need to work out haha.

590x332.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a 24 hour gym just try to go either really early or really late when no one is there. If you can exercise at home, obviously that's lower risk but you can workout at a gym and minimize your risk by wearing mask, keeping away from other people, getting your training in quickly, wiping surfaces, etc. The argument "well I already am in contact with people at work so why can't I just do this too?" isn't a good one. The more people and the more public places you come into contact with the more likely you are to eventually come in contact with someone who has covid.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Tangential question, if I already had COVID and recovered, is it a bad idea for me to go to the gym? Obviously would be masked up, washing hands, etc

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who wears an N95 mask in a hospital on a regular basis, the idea of working out in a gym with an N95 mask sounds terrible and doesn't seem worth the hassle IMO.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So I need to go back to the gym and start lifting weights again.

So you need to, huh?

Anyway I'm still extremely scared of covid and don't want to get it and spread it...

Like you should be.
Then stay the fuck home.

You're even in America, the hellhole of Corona, so no, just no.

Tangential question, if I already had COVID and recovered, is it a bad idea for me to go to the gym? Obviously would be masked up, washing hands, etc

Yes, you can still be an carrier.

And it's not impossible to get it again either.